    it's just that windows does not seem to be recognizing them.
    checked the connections and there is not a problem with the cables.
    any suggestions
    bozomedic, Nov 1, 2005

  2. bozomedic

    Ben Myers Guest

    Version of Windows???? Procedure to fix varies from version to version.
    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 1, 2005

  3. bozomedic

    bozomedic Guest

    sorry..it is running windows 98 ....it has a DVD rom and cd burner.
    THere is an intel celeron 500 processor and a 17gb hard drive.
    know it's "outdated", but I cant afford a new one yet and we need i
    for school. Thanks for any help you can give

    P.S. I tried calling Compaq and had the on-line chats, of course the
    could not help me
    bozomedic, Nov 1, 2005
  4. bozomedic

    bozomedic Guest

    oh..just so you know, I disconnected the CD Rom drives and re-booted.
    Then I re-ceonnected them and rebooted. They do not show up in BIOS
    but they do open and close when I push the buttons on the Drives, an
    they "spin" when a disc is inserted, they just are not showing up i
    device manage
    bozomedic, Nov 1, 2005
  5. bozomedic

    Ben Myers Guest

    I suggest changing the presumed C2032 3v CMOS battery. It's possible that the
    battery is the villain, especially if it has never been changed. If the drives
    do not show up in the BIOS, there are several possible causes:

    1. Loose cable (but probably not a reversed cable connection)
    2. Incorrect or conflicting jumper settings
    3. Failed IDE port
    4. Incorrect BIOS setup

    And if the drives do not show in the BIOS, they will never show in any version
    of Windows... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 1, 2005
  6. bozomedic

    bozomedic Guest

    the dvd is pioneer dvd-114mc and the cdrw is phillips cdd4401/71...
    bozomedic, Nov 1, 2005
  7. bozomedic

    bozomedic Guest

    ok..I replaced the battery and got some weird error message about
    system32 error. after looking that up, it told me to reload th
    drivers...I then did a new quick restore...still the sam
    problem.......cd roms do not show up in device manager...the jumpe
    settings are good and so are the cables...how do I rule out a bad ID
    or BIOS settings? (I have the most current BIOS drivers from Compaq
    bozomedic, Nov 2, 2005