    is not nice for software updates and maintenance.

    Yes, I'm using a tube monitor that can respond down to 58Hz. BIOS is latest.
    BIOS video priority has no effect. Suggestions?

    Frank Haber, Oct 23, 2006

  2. Frank Haber

    Paul Guest

    Frank Haber wrote:

    > (Deliberate crosspost; sorry - the HP user groups seem to be no more.
    > Pointers to better venues accepted.)
    >
    > A friend has a two-year-old 8000Z desktop (Athlon, Nvidia 5200 AGP graphics)
    > which has, according to the markings, an Asus "K8N8X-LA" MB. I presume this
    > is an OEM. It does respond nicely to the NForce3 4in1 driver suite, giving
    > UDMA5, which Compaq/HP has never seen fit to supply(!).
    >
    > Remaining problem: on every warm boot, there's no video init. No graphics
    > card signature; no system ROM msgs; can't even see the BIOS screens.
    > Otherwise, a warm boot seems to proceed normally, though "in the dark." This
    > is not nice for software updates and maintenance.
    >
    > Yes, I'm using a tube monitor that can respond down to 58Hz. BIOS is latest.
    > BIOS video priority has no effect. Suggestions?

    Can you borrow another monitor ? And see if video does appear on that ?
    With a different monitor, check to see if the monitor receives a signal.
    On my LCD, I'd get a yellow LED if there was no signal. I'd also
    get an error on the onscreen display (OSD), if the video signal was
    outside the range of normal video modes.

    Occasionally, my FX5200 will produce a funny mode, on a reboot. The
    mode is corrected as soon as the Windows desktop is initialized. It
    might happen one time in twenty reboots. My OSD does complain, but
    doesn't state what resolution or frequency is being used. I can tell
    the video card is attempting to display text, but it is garbled
    enough not to be readable.

    Can you get into the BIOS ? Is your monitor able to display the BIOS
    screen ? The BIOS could well be using the same mode, whether you
    enter the BIOS or not. I'd look for the "Full Screen Logo" setting
    and play with that. If it is enabled, maybe the Logo is a black
    image, which is effectively blanking the screen for you. Try disabling
    the Full Screen Logo, and see if the POST messages appear instead.

    Best guess,
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Frank Haber

    Frank Haber Guest

    There is never a signal. There is never any video, even when booting a DOS
    floppy. This is not Windows- or driver-related. The BIOS setting has no
    effect.

    Frank Haber, Oct 23, 2006
  4. Frank Haber

    Paul Guest

    Frank Haber wrote:

    > There is never a signal. There is never any video, even when booting a DOS
    > floppy. This is not Windows- or driver-related. The BIOS setting has no
    > effect.

    Another idea for you. Is it possible the video card has multiple
    output connectors, and the BIOS or DOS output is showing up on
    a different connector ? I think mine defaults to the VGA connector.
    Maybe your output is on TV/Svideo.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 24, 2006