compaq Presario problems

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by iamhungery, May 31, 2007.

  1. iamhungery

    iamhungery Guest

    Hi Guys & Gals;

    I have fallen air (?) to a Compaq Presario (desktop) "519J". It is mot
    working absoloutly nothing, not even fans or a beep. There is however, a
    small greem light on the power supply that continualy blinks (continualy)
    whenever the unit is pluged in. I am assuming that there is a fuse blown.

    Before I replace the power supply, am I right, or should I look elseware for
    the problem.

    Keep happy

    Glenn
     
    iamhungery, May 31, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. iamhungery

    w_tom Guest

    On May 30, 10:39 pm, "iamhungery" <> wrote:
    > I have fallen air (?) to a Compaq Presario (desktop) "519J". It is mot
    > working absoloutly nothing, not even fans or a beep. There is however, a
    > small greem light on thepower supplythat continualy blinks (continualy)
    > whenever the unit is pluged in. I am assuming that there is a fuse blown.
    >
    > Before I replace thepower supply, am I right, or should I look elseware for
    > the problem.


    Before you replace anything - even disconnect any wires - a problem
    should first be identified. Power supply 'system' suspects can be
    identified in but two minutes with the essential computer tool - a 3.5
    digit multimeter. A tools so ubiquitous as to be sold even in K-mart,
    Lowes, Radio Shack, Tru-Value hardware for only $20; $10 on sale.

    Procedure is posted previously in "When your computer dies without
    warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp
    at:
    http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh

    Notice voltage on purple wire. That voltage could be completely 'out
    of spec' and yet light would still glow. Also notice when purple wire
    is and is not powered. That wire is why you always remove AC power
    cord before making any changes.

    Notice I also said 'system'. Power supply 'system' includes more
    than just a power supply.

    With numbers - good or bad - then post them. Those numbers may also
    provide other useful facts. Your replies will only be as good as
    provided facts - the numbers.


    Long before looking at any other suspect, you must first establish
    the integrity of your power supply 'system'. Anything or everything
    can act bad if 'system' numbers are not correct.
     
    w_tom, Jun 2, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. iamhungery

    Guest

    On May 30, 7:39 pm, "iamhungery" <> wrote:
    > Hi Guys & Gals;
    >
    > I have fallen air (?) to a Compaq Presario (desktop) "519J". It is mot
    > working absoloutly nothing, not even fans or a beep. There is however, a
    > small greem light on the power supply that continualy blinks (continualy)
    > whenever the unit is pluged in. I am assuming that there is a fuse blown.
    >
    > Before I replace the power supply, am I right, or should I look elseware for
    > the problem.
    >
    > Keep happy
    >
    > Glenn


    The blinkey green light on Compaq power supplies is a Bad Thing. I'd
    pick the power supply as the most likely culprit.

    Most Compaq power supplies are standard ATX, but some are not. There's
    a run of them, in the early P4 range that have a 24 pin connector,
    PLUS an additional 4 pin connector. Last time I priced one, it was
    insanely expensive, to order one from HP (who bought Compaq). On the
    order of 200USD.
     
    , Jun 2, 2007
    #3
  4. iamhungery

    Ben Myers Guest

    The Paq also used a non-standard 24-pin power connector in some of its DeskPro
    Socket 370 desktops. At least I think it is non-standard. Never saw a pinout
    to compare with the newer 24-pin BTX... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:01:19 -0700, "" <> wrote:

    >On May 30, 7:39 pm, "iamhungery" <> wrote:
    >> Hi Guys & Gals;
    >>
    >> I have fallen air (?) to a Compaq Presario (desktop) "519J". It is mot
    >> working absoloutly nothing, not even fans or a beep. There is however, a
    >> small greem light on the power supply that continualy blinks (continualy)
    >> whenever the unit is pluged in. I am assuming that there is a fuse blown.
    >>
    >> Before I replace the power supply, am I right, or should I look elseware for
    >> the problem.
    >>
    >> Keep happy
    >>
    >> Glenn

    >
    >The blinkey green light on Compaq power supplies is a Bad Thing. I'd
    >pick the power supply as the most likely culprit.
    >
    >Most Compaq power supplies are standard ATX, but some are not. There's
    >a run of them, in the early P4 range that have a 24 pin connector,
    >PLUS an additional 4 pin connector. Last time I priced one, it was
    >insanely expensive, to order one from HP (who bought Compaq). On the
    >order of 200USD.
    >
     
    Ben Myers, Jun 2, 2007
    #4
  5. iamhungery

    w_tom Guest

    On Jun 2, 12:01 pm, "" <> wrote:
    > The blinkey green light on Compaq power supplies is a Bad Thing. I'd
    > pick the power supply as the most likely culprit.
    >
    > Most Compaq power supplies are standard ATX, but some are not.


    Long before replacing anything, one first identifies the failure.
    What is only suspected does not matter. What numbers report is
    important.

    Is the pinout an ATX standard? Again, the 3.5 digit multimeter
    would answer that questions in conjunction with data from pictures
    provided by pennyw, kony, and others:
    http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/ATXPowerSupplyWiring/ATXPowerSupplyWiring.htm
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-10586-5566528.html
    www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html
    http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/power/atxpower.html

    Assuming a power supply is bad and then swapping on that assumption
    may exponentailly complicate a failure. If the power supply is not
    ATX standard, then it could do massive more damage. Shotgunning -
    replacing parts only on 'feelings' - is not how anything should be
    repaired. The meter is essential to first determine what in a power
    supply 'system' is defective (yes - a system and not just a power
    supply), and to determine is power supply is ATX standard.
     
    w_tom, Jun 2, 2007
    #5
  6. iamhungery

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, as a regular practicioner of the black art of computer repair, often the
    quickest and easiest way to determine which part failed is to substitute a
    suspected component with a known good one from the test bench. Of course,
    doing so presupposes that one has plenty of inexpensive spare parts to sacrifice
    if some other component is bad and causes yet another failure. Doing so also
    presupposes that one knows that the pinouts are standard or non-standard, same
    as if one were to use a mulitmeter. I continue to this practice because it has
    worked well for me for a number of years. I have a multimeter, but I do not
    use it very often... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 11:59:08 -0700, w_tom <> wrote:

    >On Jun 2, 12:01 pm, "" <> wrote:
    >> The blinkey green light on Compaq power supplies is a Bad Thing. I'd
    >> pick the power supply as the most likely culprit.
    >>
    >> Most Compaq power supplies are standard ATX, but some are not.

    >
    > Long before replacing anything, one first identifies the failure.
    >What is only suspected does not matter. What numbers report is
    >important.
    >
    > Is the pinout an ATX standard? Again, the 3.5 digit multimeter
    >would answer that questions in conjunction with data from pictures
    >provided by pennyw, kony, and others:
    > http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/ATXPowerSupplyWiring/ATXPowerSupplyWiring.htm
    > http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-10586-5566528.html
    > www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html
    > http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/power/atxpower.html
    >
    > Assuming a power supply is bad and then swapping on that assumption
    >may exponentailly complicate a failure. If the power supply is not
    >ATX standard, then it could do massive more damage. Shotgunning -
    >replacing parts only on 'feelings' - is not how anything should be
    >repaired. The meter is essential to first determine what in a power
    >supply 'system' is defective (yes - a system and not just a power
    >supply), and to determine is power supply is ATX standard.
     
    Ben Myers, Jun 2, 2007
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Grocus
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    820
    Grocus
    Sep 4, 2003
  2. Iain West
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    498
    Iain West
    Sep 18, 2003
  3. Steve F.

    Compaq Presario 1200 power problems

    Steve F., Dec 4, 2003, in forum: Compaq
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    706
    Irishpat
    Dec 9, 2003
  4. John Smith
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    455
  5. Anushka Sharma
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    476
    Anushka Sharma
    Mar 26, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page