Compaq Presario Repair?

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Searcher7, Jan 29, 2008.

  1. Searcher7

    Searcher7 Guest

    I picked up a Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop that someone threw out.

    http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presario-Notebook-700-MHz-Pentium/dp/B00005O03A

    It seems to work ok, except that there are stationary horizontal lines
    going across the screen. I was told that possibly some of the wiring
    that connects to the LCD rows on the screen have become damaged.(I'll
    send pics if anyone wants to see).

    The question is if something like this is worth repairing.Would
    getting another screen help, or perhaps I can get the wiring out of
    another dead laptop.

    Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    Searcher7, Jan 29, 2008

  2. Searcher7

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Searcher7" <2.com> wrote in message
    >I picked up a Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop that someone threw out.
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presario-Notebook-700-MHz-Pentium/dp/B00005O03A
    >
    > It seems to work ok, except that there are stationary horizontal lines
    > going across the screen. I was told that possibly some of the wiring
    > that connects to the LCD rows on the screen have become damaged.(I'll
    > send pics if anyone wants to see).
    >
    > The question is if something like this is worth repairing.Would
    > getting another screen help, or perhaps I can get the wiring out of
    > another dead laptop.
    >
    > Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

    First try squeezing around the edges of the LCD to see if maybe just "bad
    connection" internally. If it DOES change, remove the covers of the screen
    and then you'll see a "cable" plugged into a slit. It's really not a
    'cable' it's more like 2 pieces of scotch tape stuck together with flat
    conductors sandwiched between. Remove the cable ( just tug a bit) and
    then get a pencil eraser and clean the contacts on the cable. Slip it back
    in and reassemble. Good luck.
    If no change when you squeeze the sides - go with the replacement screen.
    If you can get another one, just swap the entire screen ( at the hinge)
    since you can't really 'repair' the wiring/cabling inside the screen.

    - Bobb -, Jan 29, 2008

  3. On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:16:54 -0500, - Bobb - wrote:

    > "Searcher7" <2.com> wrote in message
    >>I picked up a Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop that someone threw out.
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presario-Notebook-700-MHz-Pentium/dp/

    B00005O03A

    >> It seems to work ok, except that there are stationary horizontal lines
    >> going across the screen. I was told that possibly some of the wiring
    >> that connects to the LCD rows on the screen have become damaged.(I'll
    >> send pics if anyone wants to see).
    >>
    >> The question is if something like this is worth repairing.Would getting
    >> another screen help, or perhaps I can get the wiring out of another
    >> dead laptop.
    >>
    >> Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

    > First try squeezing around the edges of the LCD to see if maybe just
    > "bad connection" internally. If it DOES change, remove the covers of the
    > screen and then you'll see a "cable" plugged into a slit. It's really
    > not a 'cable' it's more like 2 pieces of scotch tape stuck together with
    > flat conductors sandwiched between. Remove the cable ( just tug a bit)
    > and then get a pencil eraser and clean the contacts on the cable. Slip
    > it back in and reassemble. Good luck.
    > If no change when you squeeze the sides - go with the replacement
    > screen. If you can get another one, just swap the entire screen ( at the
    > hinge) since you can't really 'repair' the wiring/cabling inside the
    > screen.

    Bobb,

    There is an inverter I believe, can these be replaced?

    JR the postman

    Postman Delivers, Jan 30, 2008
  4. Searcher7

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Postman Delivers" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:16:54 -0500, - Bobb - wrote:
    >
    >> "Searcher7" <2.com> wrote in message
    >>>I picked up a Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop that someone threw out.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presario-Notebook-700-MHz-Pentium/dp/

    > B00005O03A
    >>>
    >>> It seems to work ok, except that there are stationary horizontal lines
    >>> going across the screen. I was told that possibly some of the wiring
    >>> that connects to the LCD rows on the screen have become damaged.(I'll
    >>> send pics if anyone wants to see).
    >>>
    >>> The question is if something like this is worth repairing.Would
    >>> getting
    >>> another screen help, or perhaps I can get the wiring out of another
    >>> dead laptop.
    >>>
    >>> Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

    >> First try squeezing around the edges of the LCD to see if maybe just
    >> "bad connection" internally. If it DOES change, remove the covers of
    >> the
    >> screen and then you'll see a "cable" plugged into a slit. It's really
    >> not a 'cable' it's more like 2 pieces of scotch tape stuck together
    >> with
    >> flat conductors sandwiched between. Remove the cable ( just tug a
    >> bit)
    >> and then get a pencil eraser and clean the contacts on the cable. Slip
    >> it back in and reassemble. Good luck.
    >> If no change when you squeeze the sides - go with the replacement
    >> screen. If you can get another one, just swap the entire screen ( at
    >> the
    >> hinge) since you can't really 'repair' the wiring/cabling inside the
    >> screen.

    > Bobb,
    >
    > There is an inverter I believe, can these be replaced?
    >
    > JR the postman

    I think if he's asking about "stationary horizontal lines going across the
    screen" isolating a failing component has a pretty slim chance even if
    available. I figured if he found a cheap replacement, just swap it out.
    FIRST try the external monitor - same thing there ??

    - Bobb -, Jan 30, 2008