    where to get this or download this and prepare this diskette

    bye

    nkg

    naresh ghanghas, Apr 26, 2005

  2. naresh ghanghas

    HH Guest

    Try here. Took 3 minutes to find on HP website:

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Deskpro/us/download/263.html

    HH

    HH, Apr 26, 2005

  3. "naresh ghanghas" <> wrote in message
    >i have compaq deskpro 4000 . when i tries to enter the setup it
    >demand
    > for compaq diagnostics diskette . i have lost this. pls tell from
    > where to get this or download this and prepare this diskette
    >
    > bye
    >
    > nkg

    If your Diagnostic Partition still exists, you can create another
    Diagnostic Diskette. When you hit F10, you are given several
    choices including Manage Diagnostic Partition, which requires the
    Diagnostic Diskette. The other options should not require it unless
    your Diagnostic Partition is damaged.

    You would have to remove all the DOS partitions to create a new
    Diagnostic Partition. If you do not have a current backup and a
    way to restore your drive, you might have to start from scratch.
    You should also download the SoftPaq for the Setup Diskette and run
    Setup from a floppy diskette if you are unable to recreate the
    Diagnostic Partition without serious disruption of your installed
    operating system and programs.

    I lost my Diagnostic Partition when I tested Xandros Linux which
    overwrote the Diagnostic Partition during the automatic drive
    configuration. Because Linux used this hidden partition for the
    beginning of its boot partition, my laptop would try to boot Linux
    although I had reinstalled Windows Millennium Edition. I had to
    reinstall the Diagnostic Partition to get rid of the vestige of
    Linux in the hidden partition.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    Earl F. Parrish, Apr 26, 2005
  4. "Earl F. Parrish" <> wrote in message news:<oftbe.13138$Nc.2818@trnddc08>...
    > "naresh ghanghas" <> wrote in message
    > >i have compaq deskpro 4000 . when i tries to enter the setup it
    > >demand
    > > for compaq diagnostics diskette . i have lost this. pls tell from
    > > where to get this or download this and prepare this diskette
    > >
    > > bye
    > >
    > > nkg

    > If your Diagnostic Partition still exists, you can create another
    > Diagnostic Diskette. When you hit F10, you are given several
    > choices including Manage Diagnostic Partition, which requires the
    > Diagnostic Diskette. The other options should not require it unless
    > your Diagnostic Partition is damaged.
    >
    > You would have to remove all the DOS partitions to create a new
    > Diagnostic Partition. If you do not have a current backup and a
    > way to restore your drive, you might have to start from scratch.
    > You should also download the SoftPaq for the Setup Diskette and run
    > Setup from a floppy diskette if you are unable to recreate the
    > Diagnostic Partition without serious disruption of your installed
    > operating system and programs.
    >
    > I lost my Diagnostic Partition when I tested Xandros Linux which
    > overwrote the Diagnostic Partition during the automatic drive
    > configuration. Because Linux used this hidden partition for the
    > beginning of its boot partition, my laptop would try to boot Linux
    > although I had reinstalled Windows Millennium Edition. I had to
    > reinstall the Diagnostic Partition to get rid of the vestige of
    > Linux in the hidden partition.

    i a fitted a new 4gb hdd with dos partion . now what to do

    naresh ghanghas, Apr 27, 2005
  5. "naresh ghanghas" <> wrote in message
    > "Earl F. Parrish" <> wrote in message
    >> "naresh ghanghas" <> wrote in message
    >> >i have compaq deskpro 4000 . when i tries to enter the setup it
    >> >demand
    >> > for compaq diagnostics diskette . i have lost this. pls tell
    >> > from
    >> > where to get this or download this and prepare this diskette
    >> >
    >> > bye
    >> >
    >> > nkg

    >> If your Diagnostic Partition still exists, you can create another
    >> Diagnostic Diskette. When you hit F10, you are given several
    >> choices including Manage Diagnostic Partition, which requires the
    >> Diagnostic Diskette. The other options should not require it
    >> unless
    >> your Diagnostic Partition is damaged.
    >>
    >> You would have to remove all the DOS partitions to create a new
    >> Diagnostic Partition. If you do not have a current backup and
    >> way to restore your drive, you might have to start from scratch.
    >> You should also download the SoftPaq for the Setup Diskette and
    >> run
    >> Setup from a floppy diskette if you are unable to recreate the
    >> Diagnostic Partition without serious disruption of your installed
    >> operating system and programs.
    >>
    >> I lost my Diagnostic Partition when I tested Xandros Linux which
    >> overwrote the Diagnostic Partition during the automatic drive
    >> configuration. Because Linux used this hidden partition for the
    >> beginning of its boot partition, my laptop would try to boot
    >> Linux
    >> although I had reinstalled Windows Millennium Edition. I had to
    >> reinstall the Diagnostic Partition to get rid of the vestige of
    >> Linux in the hidden partition.

    > i a fitted a new 4gb hdd with dos partion . now what to do

    You have to download the SoftPaqs from Hewlett-Packard which will
    produce floppy diskettes containing the Setup Diskette and
    Diagnostic Diskette on separate diskettes. Your hard drive has to
    be blank with no DOS partitions. It is best to do this before you
    add any operating system or files to the drive because everything
    will be removed when you delete the partition(s). You will also
    need a Startup Disk for your operating system or a bootable CD-ROM
    with your operating system installation files.

    Boot with the Diagnostic Diskette. Select Create Diagnostic
    Partition from the menu. Use your mouse to make the selection if it
    works. Otherwise use the cursor keys. Follow the screen prompts.
    You may have to switch back and forth between the two diskettes, so
    have both handy. Once it finishes, you will have an invisible
    partition containing the BIOS Setup files and Diagnostic files. You
    can enter BIOS Setup when you see a square cursor appear on the
    upper right side of the screen when you are booting up. Press F10
    at that time to enter the routine.

    Once you are satisfied that the BIOS Setup and Diagnostic routines
    work, you can install your operating system and programs. If you
    have Restore CDs, you can use them to get back to the out-of-the-box
    state of your computer without individually installing the operating
    system and original programs. Any operating system updates and
    service packs will have to be reinstalled. Any non-original
    programs you added yourself will also have to be reinstalled from
    the installation CDs for those programs. Updates, if any, for those
    programs will also have be reinstalled.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    Earl F. Parrish, Apr 27, 2005
  6. naresh ghanghas

    High Guest

    Earl F. Parrish wrote:
> [...]

    > have both handy. Once it finishes, you will have an invisible
    > partition containing the BIOS Setup files and Diagnostic files. You
    > can enter BIOS Setup when you see a square cursor appear on the
    > upper right side of the screen when you are booting up. Press F10
    > at that time to enter the routine.
    >
    > Once you are satisfied that the BIOS Setup and Diagnostic routines
    > work, you can install your operating system and programs. If you
    > have Restore CDs, you can use them to get back to the out-of-the-box
    > state of your computer without individually installing the operating
    > system and original programs. Any operating system updates and
    > service packs will have to be reinstalled. Any non-original
    > programs you added yourself will also have to be reinstalled from
    > the installation CDs for those programs. Updates, if any, for those

    Earl, is this diagnostic partition necessary, couldn't he just install
    the OS?

    High, Apr 27, 2005
  7. "High" <789@123.456> wrote in message

    > Earl, is this diagnostic partition necessary, couldn't he just
    > install the OS?

    As I stated two messages up, he can run the BIOS Setup or the
    Diagnostic routine from a floppy diskette created from a
    Hewlett-Packard SoftPaq download. The Diagnostic Partition simply
    allows a Compaq user to go into BIOS Setup without using a floppy
    diskette. New Compaq computers have the BIOS Setup routine
    hard-coded in ROM so that neither the floppy diskette nor the
    Diagnostic partition is needed.

    If I already had installed my operating system on my hard drive
    along with my program and data files, I would not remove them just
    to create the Diagnostic Partition. The situation I described in my
    case was done to get rid of the vestige of Linux which was still
    trying to boot when I started my computer. But for that, I would
    have left my hard drive alone.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    Earl F. Parrish, Apr 27, 2005