Compatible board for 8GB and Q6600; apologies for manufacture specificity

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Thomas Womack, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. I have a Q6600 processor, and four 2GB memory sticks; I bought an
    Intel DG965OT motherboard, in the touching hope that an Intel
    processor might be happy in an Intel motherboard.

    It runs Linux incredibly slowly, and a bit of Googling
    (http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2007/6/4/99603 is a
    useful reference; also
    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/printthread.php?t=157232 though the
    issue is not only with Fedora) indicates that the BIOS lies about the
    cachability of some of the bits of top memory in which Linux likes to
    keep its kernel; moreover, that this BIOS issue was introduced in an
    April 2007 update and has not been removed since despite many
    complaints to Intel.

    Does anyone here have a machine which runs at full speed with a Q6600
    and 8GB, and if so what exactly is the motherboard they're using?

    Tom

    1. Advertising

  2. DaveW

    DaveW Guest

    There are essentially NO consumer motherboards that are very stable RAM
    timing-wise when running four 2 GB sticks of RAM. You basically need to
    upgrade toa workstation-grade motherboard that uses Xeon CPU's and can
    handle large quantities of RAM.

    --
    --DaveW

    "Thomas Womack" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Q6600 processor, and four 2GB memory sticks; I bought an
    > Intel DG965OT motherboard, in the touching hope that an Intel
    > processor might be happy in an Intel motherboard.
    >
    > It runs Linux incredibly slowly, and a bit of Googling
    > (http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2007/6/4/99603 is a
    > useful reference; also
    > http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/printthread.php?t=157232 though the
    > issue is not only with Fedora) indicates that the BIOS lies about the
    > cachability of some of the bits of top memory in which Linux likes to
    > keep its kernel; moreover, that this BIOS issue was introduced in an
    > April 2007 update and has not been removed since despite many
    > complaints to Intel.
    >
    > Does anyone here have a machine which runs at full speed with a Q6600
    > and 8GB, and if so what exactly is the motherboard they're using?
    >
    > Tom

    1. Advertising

  3. Re: Compatible board for 8GB and Q6600; apologies for manufacturespecificity

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:40:43 -0800, DaveW wrote:

    > There are essentially NO consumer motherboards that are very stable RAM
    > timing-wise when running four 2 GB sticks of RAM. You basically need to
    > upgrade toa workstation-grade motherboard that uses Xeon CPU's and can
    > handle large quantities of RAM.

    The OP didn't mention anything about stability, he has a BIOS problem.
    That said you are wrong about running 8G on a consumer motherboard. I
    have 8G of DDR2 on an Abit AB9 Pro which has been running 24/7 for over a
    year. The CPU is an E6700 overclocked to 3GHz. I did underclock the RAM.
    I'm using DDR2 800 RAM which I'm running at 600MHz (533 * 300/266).
    Running 8G at 800 is a problem but it's probably doable with premium RAM
    (I.m using GSkill which is a bargain brand).

  4. *

    * Guest

    Il Wed, 09 Jan 2008 00:59:35 +0000, Thomas Womack ha scritto:

    > I have a Q6600 processor, and four 2GB memory sticks; I bought an Intel
    > DG965OT motherboard, in the touching hope that an Intel processor might
    > be happy in an Intel motherboard.
    >
    > It runs Linux incredibly slowly,

    Are you wasting our time with questions on 32 bit linux ?

  5. Greg Lindahl

    Greg Lindahl Guest

    In article <>,
    DaveW <> wrote:

    >There are essentially NO consumer motherboards that are very stable RAM
    >timing-wise when running four 2 GB sticks of RAM. You basically need to
    >upgrade toa workstation-grade motherboard that uses Xeon CPU's and can
    >handle large quantities of RAM.

    I don't know what you mean by "consumer motherboards", but the 6
    S975XBX2s that I have as office desktops are stable with 4x2GB
    installed. No Xeons, and it's cheap unregistered memory.

    -- greg

  6. Tom Lake

    Tom Lake Guest

    "DaveW" <> wrote in message
    > There are essentially NO consumer motherboards that are very stable RAM
    > timing-wise when running four 2 GB sticks of RAM. You basically need to
    > upgrade toa workstation-grade motherboard that uses Xeon CPU's and can
    > handle large quantities of RAM.

    Intel's Media Series (such as the DG965WH) is very stable with 8GB RAM.
    The only caveat is that instead of the 800 MHz speed you can use when you
    have 4GB installed, you have to use 667 MHz RAM.

    Tom Lake

  7. In article <4786a63e$0$5008$>,
    Tom Lake <> wrote:

    >"DaveW" <> wrote in message
    >> There are essentially NO consumer motherboards that are very stable RAM
    >> timing-wise when running four 2 GB sticks of RAM. You basically need to
    >> upgrade toa workstation-grade motherboard that uses Xeon CPU's and can
    >> handle large quantities of RAM.

    >Intel's Media Series (such as the DG965WH) is very stable with 8GB RAM.
    >The only caveat is that instead of the 800 MHz speed you can use when you
    >have 4GB installed, you have to use 667 MHz RAM.

    That is the precise series (OK, I got a DG965OT) that I have found
    utterly unusable with >4GB RAM; there is some kind of BIOS issue, you
    can downgrade to a particular version of the BIOS which is supposed to
    work, but only if you have a floppy drive or a PATA CD drive.

    Tom

  8. Re: Compatible board for 8GB and Q6600; apologies for manufacturespecificity

    In article <fm5e4s$v9s$>,
    * <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >Il Wed, 09 Jan 2008 00:59:35 +0000, Thomas Womack ha scritto:
    >
    >> I have a Q6600 processor, and four 2GB memory sticks; I bought an Intel
    >> DG965OT motherboard, in the touching hope that an Intel processor might
    >> be happy in an Intel motherboard.
    >>
    >> It runs Linux incredibly slowly,

    >Are you wasting our time with questions on 32 bit linux ?

    No; being able to count, I'm using 64-bit linux (ubuntu-7.10). I
    can't see why anyone would use a 32-bit OS on a core2 system, unless
    they have particular badly-dynamically-linked binaries to run.

    Tom

  9. Tom Lake

    Tom Lake Guest

    >>Intel's Media Series (such as the DG965WH) is very stable with 8GB RAM.
    >>The only caveat is that instead of the 800 MHz speed you can use when you
    >>have 4GB installed, you have to use 667 MHz RAM.

    > That is the precise series (OK, I got a DG965OT) that I have found
    > utterly unusable with >4GB RAM; there is some kind of BIOS issue, you
    > can downgrade to a particular version of the BIOS which is supposed to
    > work, but only if you have a floppy drive or a PATA CD drive.

    What version would that be? Why a floppy drive? I can change BIOS
    versions with the Windows BIOS update programs on Intel's site and
    not use my floppy drive at all. Of course, I've only gone UP in version
    numbers. Are you saying that a floppy drive is necessary to go DOWN
    to a previous version?

    Tom Lake

  10. In article <4787e9ad$0$9591$>,
    Tom Lake <> wrote:
    >>>Intel's Media Series (such as the DG965WH) is very stable with 8GB RAM.
    >>>The only caveat is that instead of the 800 MHz speed you can use when you
    >>>have 4GB installed, you have to use 667 MHz RAM.

    >> That is the precise series (OK, I got a DG965OT) that I have found
    >> utterly unusable with >4GB RAM; there is some kind of BIOS issue, you
    >> can downgrade to a particular version of the BIOS which is supposed to
    >> work, but only if you have a floppy drive or a PATA CD drive.

    >What version would that be? Why a floppy drive? I can change BIOS
    >versions with the Windows BIOS update programs on Intel's site and
    >not use my floppy drive at all. Of course, I've only gone UP in version
    >numbers. Are you saying that a floppy drive is necessary to go DOWN
    >to a previous version?

    Yes, precisely; to change version number downwards, you need to use
    the recovery BIOS flash procedure rather than either the Windows one
    or the one that involves booting from a specially-prepared USB stick.

    Tom

  11. Greg Lindahl

    Greg Lindahl Guest

    In article <4786a63e$0$5008$>,
    Tom Lake <> wrote:

    >The only caveat is that instead of the 800 MHz speed you can use when you
    >have 4GB installed, you have to use 667 MHz RAM.

    So, basically, the BIOS does the wrong thing by not using the memory
    at the slower speed... normally this is handled automagically.

    My vendor sold me slower ram on purpose since he knew faster wouldn't
    do me any good.

    -- greg