    deceiving consumers who bought computer products but failed to receive
    promised cash rebates from $15 to $100 each, the Federal Trade
    Commission said Friday.

    Matt, Mar 12, 2005

  2. Matt

    Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:06:55 GMT, Matt <> wrote:

    >http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7160072
    >
    >CompUSA settles rebate complaint
    >
    >Government charged retailer of deceiving customers
    >The Associated Press
    >Updated: 4:05 p.m. ET March 11, 2005
    >
    >WASHINGTON - The nation’s leading computer retailer, CompUSA Inc., has
    >agreed to settle a government complaint charging the company with
    >deceiving consumers who bought computer products but failed to receive
    >promised cash rebates from $15 to $100 each, the Federal Trade
    >Commission said Friday.

    GREAT_ about time we started holding SOMEone responsible for these scams!!!

    Copy of a letter to another Soyo supplier:

    I am not particularly interested in a conversation about this. My personal
    feeling is that it is well past time to put a stop to these rebate scams. Soyo's
    debacle is simply one of the larger ones but there are many more.

    I am NOT looking to Nexxxg for compensation or satisfaction on this issue. I DO
    however hold Nexxxg responsible in part because as a retailer you agree to
    participate in these scams by offering and advertising them to your customers. I
    just wanted the good folks at Nexxxg to know that as one of your customers I do
    not appreciate you advertising for thieves. It is false advertising. Once a
    manufacturer demonstrates a pattern of ripping people off I believe it is
    irresponsible for you as a retailer to continue to advertise for that
    manufacturer.

    So here's the deal. I'll come back as a customer when you stop offering products
    with rebates. Particularly rebates from proven scam artists like the one Soyo
    hired. The entire rebate industry is nothing but a consumer rip off. It's not
    just Soyo_ It's the whole rebate industry. They have proven themselves time and
    time again to be absolutely criminal in their dealings with the public. Enough
    is enough.

    Sincerely,
    XXXXXXXXXXX