Computer about to be thrown out of the window

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Trent SC, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    Bloody computers!

    My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
    graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
    6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more information?

    It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
    online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took the
    opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics card and
    return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive with a
    spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it all went
    pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384 with a pair of
    fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.

    The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation of
    SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took fine
    once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to hang,
    most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in Tiles view
    format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it hung, so I just
    took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back in before I lost it
    completely.

    This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new hard
    drive and new system and application software. The only common factors
    which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and processor. There
    are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and CPU are spinning
    efficiently. I can only think that there must be something fundamental
    going on in the motherboard or processor, but if anyone else has any
    brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear them!

    1. Advertising

  2. Trent SC schrieb:
    > Bloody computers!
    >
    > My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    > ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
    > graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
    > 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more information?
    >
    > It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
    > online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took the
    > opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics card and
    > return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive with a
    > spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it all went
    > pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384 with a pair of
    > fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
    >
    > The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation of
    > SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took fine
    > once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to hang,
    > most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in Tiles view
    > format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it hung, so I just
    > took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back in before I lost it
    > completely.
    >
    > This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new hard
    > drive and new system and application software. The only common factors
    > which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and processor. There
    > are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and CPU are spinning
    > efficiently. I can only think that there must be something fundamental
    > going on in the motherboard or processor, but if anyone else has any
    > brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear them!

    You should really try different memory or check if you bios can set
    slower timings for the memory.
    Also, if possible, disable some chacheing (video or system bios) and
    check if it can help you.

    1. Advertising

  3. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    >> Bloody computers!
    >>
    >> My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    >> ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
    >> graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
    >> 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more
    >> information?
    >>
    >> It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
    >> online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
    >> the opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics
    >> card and return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive
    >> with a spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it
    >> all went pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384
    >> with a pair of fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
    >>
    >> The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation
    >> of SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took
    >> fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to
    >> hang, most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in
    >> Tiles view format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it
    >> hung, so I just took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back
    >> in before I lost it completely.
    >>
    >> This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new
    >> hard drive and new system and application software. The only common
    >> factors which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and
    >> processor. There are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and
    >> CPU are spinning efficiently. I can only think that there must be
    >> something fundamental going on in the motherboard or processor, but if
    >> anyone else has any brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear
    >> them!

    > You should really try different memory or check if you bios can set slower
    > timings for the memory.
    > Also, if possible, disable some chacheing (video or system bios) and check
    > if it can help you.

    Thanks for the reply. As I said, the memory is different, I'm now using the
    on-board graphics instead of a graphics card, the hard drives are different
    and the operating system is new, and yet the symptoms are the same as
    before, so I'm not sure how your suggestions apply in this situation.

  4. Jan Alter

    Jan Alter Guest

    In agreeement with Michael do try different RAM, or try installation with
    the old stick (128 ?) or just the new chip. The hang is probably from a bad
    memory address in one of the chips.

    --
    Jan Alter

    or
    12.pa.us
    "Michael Mauel" <> wrote in message
    > Trent SC schrieb:
    >> Bloody computers!
    >>
    >> My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    >> ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
    >> graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
    >> 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more
    >> information?
    >>
    >> It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
    >> online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
    >> the opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics
    >> card and return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive
    >> with a spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it
    >> all went pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384
    >> with a pair of fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
    >>
    >> The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation
    >> of SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took
    >> fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to
    >> hang, most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in
    >> Tiles view format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it
    >> hung, so I just took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back
    >> in before I lost it completely.
    >>
    >> This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new
    >> hard drive and new system and application software. The only common
    >> factors which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and
    >> processor. There are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and
    >> CPU are spinning efficiently. I can only think that there must be
    >> something fundamental going on in the motherboard or processor, but if
    >> anyone else has any brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear
    >> them!

    > You should really try different memory or check if you bios can set slower
    > timings for the memory.
    > Also, if possible, disable some chacheing (video or system bios) and check
    > if it can help you.

  5. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    6 Feb 2005 21:13:26 -0000, "Trent SC" <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >>> Bloody computers!
    >>>
    >>> My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    >>> ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
    >>> graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
    >>> 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more
    >>> information?
    >>>
    >>> It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
    >>> online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
    >>> the opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics
    >>> card and return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive
    >>> with a spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it
    >>> all went pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384
    >>> with a pair of fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
    >>>
    >>> The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation
    >>> of SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took
    >>> fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to
    >>> hang, most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in
    >>> Tiles view format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it
    >>> hung, so I just took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back
    >>> in before I lost it completely.
    >>>
    >>> This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new
    >>> hard drive and new system and application software. The only common
    >>> factors which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and
    >>> processor. There are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and
    >>> CPU are spinning efficiently. I can only think that there must be
    >>> something fundamental going on in the motherboard or processor, but if
    >>> anyone else has any brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear
    >>> them!

    >> You should really try different memory or check if you bios can set slower
    >> timings for the memory.
    >> Also, if possible, disable some chacheing (video or system bios) and check
    >> if it can help you.

    >Thanks for the reply. As I said, the memory is different, I'm now using the
    >on-board graphics instead of a graphics card, the hard drives are different
    >and the operating system is new, and yet the symptoms are the same as
    >before, so I'm not sure how your suggestions apply in this situation.

    Try disabling the L2 cache in the BIOS, also. I've seen that go bad
    before.

    ---
    "I think you need to get bent, asshole. Bend over and let me shove a
    vibrating dildo up your ass and give you a blow job. You need to learn
    how to shut up, assballs"

    Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <>

  6. Duane Arnold

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

    > If you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant, what do you
    > do?

  7. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    >>> Bloody computers!
    >>>
    >>> My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    >>> ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
    >>> graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular
    >>> v 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more
    >>> information?
    >>>
    >>> It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
    >>> online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
    >>> the opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics
    >>> card and return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive
    >>> with a spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case
    >>> it all went pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384
    >>> with a pair of fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
    >>>
    >>> The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the
    >>> installation of SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and
    >>> while SP2 took fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine,
    >>> it's continued to hang, most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing
    >>> over an icon in Tiles view format. And I didn't get a chance to go
    >>> online before it hung, so I just took out the new hard drive and shoved
    >>> the old one back in before I lost it completely.
    >>>
    >>> This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new
    >>> hard drive and new system and application software. The only common
    >>> factors which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and
    >>> processor. There are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and
    >>> CPU are spinning efficiently. I can only think that there must be
    >>> something fundamental going on in the motherboard or processor, but if
    >>> anyone else has any brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear
    >>> them!

    >> You should really try different memory or check if you bios can set
    >> slower timings for the memory.
    >> Also, if possible, disable some chacheing (video or system bios) and
    >> check if it can help you.

    > In agreeement with Michael do try different RAM, or try installation with
    > the old stick (128 ?) or just the new chip. The hang is probably from a
    > bad memory address in one of the chips.

    I'll give it a go, although the problem was occurring with the old memory,
    and that's now in a drawer - the computer has a new 256 and 128 stick, so
    we're talking about completely different memory.

    Thanks also to the other post - how do I disable L2 cache, please?

    TIA

  8. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Trent SC writes:

    > Thanks for the reply. As I said, the memory is different, I'm now using the
    > on-board graphics instead of a graphics card, the hard drives are different
    > and the operating system is new, and yet the symptoms are the same as
    > before, so I'm not sure how your suggestions apply in this situation.

    You can probably safely exclude everything that has changed: graphics
    card, disk, RAM, OS and applications. So ... what has _not_ changed?
    The source of the problem must reside in some part of the system that
    has not changed. Motherboard, network card, other PCI or similar
    extension cards, BIOS settings, etc. It's probably something that is
    not continuously used, since the machine hangs almost at random.
    Something that hasn't changed has a problem and hangs the machine when
    it is used. I'd say extension cards should be looked at first, hardware
    and software. With those ruled out, there's not much else left besides
    tne motherboard, and the processor itself.

  9. philo

    philo Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    > Bloody computers!
    >
    > My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    > ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
    > graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
    > 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more information?
    >
    > It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
    > online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
    > the opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics card
    > and return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive with a
    > spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it all
    > went pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384 with a
    > pair of fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
    >
    > The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation
    > of SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took
    > fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to
    > hang, most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in Tiles
    > view format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it hung, so I
    > just took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back in before I
    > lost it completely.
    >
    > This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new hard
    > drive and new system and application software. The only common factors
    > which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and processor.

    try underclocking the machine slightly
    i'd also use the original (or another video card) rather than on-board

  10. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    >> Thanks for the reply. As I said, the memory is different, I'm now using
    >> the
    >> on-board graphics instead of a graphics card, the hard drives are
    >> different
    >> and the operating system is new, and yet the symptoms are the same as
    >> before, so I'm not sure how your suggestions apply in this situation.

    > You can probably safely exclude everything that has changed: graphics
    > card, disk, RAM, OS and applications. So ... what has _not_ changed?
    > The source of the problem must reside in some part of the system that
    > has not changed. Motherboard, network card, other PCI or similar
    > extension cards, BIOS settings, etc. It's probably something that is
    > not continuously used, since the machine hangs almost at random.
    > Something that hasn't changed has a problem and hangs the machine when
    > it is used. I'd say extension cards should be looked at first, hardware
    > and software. With those ruled out, there's not much else left besides
    > tne motherboard, and the processor itself.

    There's only an HSP56 modem on the machine (no NIC) and the machine has
    frozen with that both enabled and disabled in the BIOS. So it MUST be
    either PSU, CPU or motherboard.

  11. ["Followup-To:" header set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.]
    Trent SC wrote:

    > My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    > ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810

    ^^^

    > graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
    > 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more information?

    Having read (and snipped) your tribulations, my money's on the mobo. I
    don't think ECS stands very high on the confidence chart, from what
    I've heard here and there. (No, I've not used an ECS board myself.)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Now killing all posts made with User-Agent G2

  12. Alf Keiles

    Alf Keiles Guest

    Hi There,

    I Sympathise with you
    I've had mine almost 8 years, I keep updating it at a helluva cost
    and it's getting slower and slower and confusing
    I have the monitor on the window sill
    and my good lady has to stop me several times per day from pushing it out of
    the window

    Alf

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    > Bloody computers!
    >
    > My colleague has mongrel PC with the following spec:
    > ECS P61WT-A+ board with a Celeron 766, 384MB RAM, onboard Intel i810
    > graphics, 10GB HDD and running Windows 98se. The BIOS is Award Modular v
    > 6.00 PG; P61WT-A+ Ver. 1.0h 11/08/1999. Do you need any more information?
    >
    > It's been hanging on a regular basis (3 or more times a day, often when
    > online - IE6), so I opted to install Windows XP this afternoon, and took
    > the opportunity to remover the slightly ancient Trident 9440 graphics card
    > and return to the onboard graphics. I also replaced the hard drive with a
    > spare, freshly formatted 15GB FAT32 Seagate drive, just in case it all
    > went pear-shaped. I also replaced the RAM, going from 128 to 384 with a
    > pair of fresh sticks which tested fine on two memory testers.
    >
    > The installation went fine, but the computer hung during the installation
    > of SP2 (the very first thing I did after XP was on) and while SP2 took
    > fine once I'd rebooted, and Office 2000 went on fine, it's continued to
    > hang, most often when I'm in My Computer and mousing over an icon in Tiles
    > view format. And I didn't get a chance to go online before it hung, so I
    > just took out the new hard drive and shoved the old one back in before I
    > lost it completely.
    >
    > This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new hard
    > drive and new system and application software. The only common factors
    > which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and processor.
    > There are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and CPU are
    > spinning efficiently. I can only think that there must be something
    > fundamental going on in the motherboard or processor, but if anyone else
    > has any brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear them!

  13. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    6 Feb 2005 21:27:14 -0000, "Trent SC" <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >>> You should really try different memory or check if you bios can set
    >>> slower timings for the memory.
    >>> Also, if possible, disable some chacheing (video or system bios) and
    >>> check if it can help you.

    >> In agreeement with Michael do try different RAM, or try installation with
    >> the old stick (128 ?) or just the new chip. The hang is probably from a
    >> bad memory address in one of the chips.

    >I'll give it a go, although the problem was occurring with the old memory,
    >and that's now in a drawer - the computer has a new 256 and 128 stick, so
    >we're talking about completely different memory.
    >
    >Thanks also to the other post - how do I disable L2 cache, please?
    >
    >TIA

    While the PC is booting, you have to go into the BIOS. Some, but not
    all, BIOS will allow you to disable the L2 cache as one of the menu
    features.

    ---
    "I think you need to get bent, asshole. Bend over and let me shove a
    vibrating dildo up your ass and give you a blow job. You need to learn
    how to shut up, assballs"

    Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <>

  14. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    06 Feb 2005 22:29:25 +0100, Mxsmanic <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Trent SC writes:
    >
    >> Thanks for the reply. As I said, the memory is different, I'm now using the
    >> on-board graphics instead of a graphics card, the hard drives are different
    >> and the operating system is new, and yet the symptoms are the same as
    >> before, so I'm not sure how your suggestions apply in this situation.

    >You can probably safely exclude everything that has changed: graphics
    >card, disk, RAM, OS and applications. So ... what has _not_ changed?
    >The source of the problem must reside in some part of the system that
    >has not changed. Motherboard, network card, other PCI or similar
    >extension cards, BIOS settings, etc. It's probably something that is
    >not continuously used, since the machine hangs almost at random.
    >Something that hasn't changed has a problem and hangs the machine when
    >it is used. I'd say extension cards should be looked at first, hardware
    >and software. With those ruled out, there's not much else left besides
    >tne motherboard, and the processor itself.

    Another possibility is the motherboard as it warms up will have an
    open or short because of metal expansion.

    ---
    "I think you need to get bent, asshole. Bend over and let me shove a
    vibrating dildo up your ass and give you a blow job. You need to learn
    how to shut up, assballs"

    Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <>

  15. Duane Arnold

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

    > Increase your hard drive space......delete my posts!

  16. Duane Arnold

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

    > Boycott shampoo, demand real poo instead.

  17. Duane Arnold

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

    > WOW! I hypnotised a brick!

  18. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Trent SC writes:

    > There's only an HSP56 modem on the machine (no NIC) and the machine has
    > frozen with that both enabled and disabled in the BIOS. So it MUST be
    > either PSU, CPU or motherboard.

    I can't think of a PSU problem that would abruptly cause the machine to
    freeze. If the fans are running and the disks are turning, the PSU is
    okay. That leaves CPU or motherboard.

    Has the machine ever been subject to power surges or overheating?

    The last time I had a CPU get sick, it produced exactly this kind of
    mystery freeze-up, along with mysterious segment violations in programs
    that had never shown the slightest trace of bugs before. For a long
    time I thought it was an OS problem or a peripheral problem. But the
    CPU got worse and worse and finally it became obvious that the
    microprocessor had failed. This happened originally because it had
    overheated for an extended period (12 hours at a stretch on multiple
    occasions) because of a CPU fan failure. In the beginning it was a real
    mystery.

  19. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    >> There's only an HSP56 modem on the machine (no NIC) and the machine has
    >> frozen with that both enabled and disabled in the BIOS. So it MUST be
    >> either PSU, CPU or motherboard.

    > I can't think of a PSU problem that would abruptly cause the machine to
    > freeze. If the fans are running and the disks are turning, the PSU is
    > okay. That leaves CPU or motherboard.
    >
    > Has the machine ever been subject to power surges or overheating?
    >
    > The last time I had a CPU get sick, it produced exactly this kind of
    > mystery freeze-up, along with mysterious segment violations in programs
    > that had never shown the slightest trace of bugs before. For a long
    > time I thought it was an OS problem or a peripheral problem. But the
    > CPU got worse and worse and finally it became obvious that the
    > microprocessor had failed. This happened originally because it had
    > overheated for an extended period (12 hours at a stretch on multiple
    > occasions) because of a CPU fan failure. In the beginning it was a real
    > mystery.

    The computer gets very light usage, although that doesn't mean the CPU isn't
    failing, just that it might be taking longer to finally give up the ghost.
    It sounds from the general opinion that I need to get a new board &
    processor.

  20. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Alf Keiles" <> wrote in message
    | Hi There,
    |
    | I Sympathise with you
    | I've had mine almost 8 years, I keep updating it at a helluva cost
    | and it's getting slower and slower and confusing
    | I have the monitor on the window sill
    | and my good lady has to stop me several times per day from pushing it out
    of
    | the window
    |
    | Alf

    Yeah - I upgraded over and over and eventually had such a mixed up batch of
    parts, I finally started over. But thankfully it wasn't quite bad enough to
    throw out the window - I gave it away.