Computer bootup problems

Discussion in 'IBM' started by nick@invalid.com, Jan 3, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    There was some loud fan noise, so I sprayed canned air thoroughly
    throughout the computer case, now the computer is not starting
    properly. It lights up when pushing the power button, but the monitor
    displays "no signal". I remove and replace the ram, then it will boot
    up. When the power is turned off, then on again, the monitor
    displays "no signal" again, and removing the RAM allows a boot up.
    What seems to be the cpu heatsink fan noisily vibrating, may be the
    power supply unit. Because, when the fan is momentarily stopped an
    alternating sounding buzzing continues (although, the it tapers away).
    I appreciate any thoughts as to what may be the problem. Thank you.

    Nick

    1. Advertising

  2. CJT

    CJT Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > There was some loud fan noise, so I sprayed canned air thoroughly
    > throughout the computer case, now the computer is not starting
    > properly. It lights up when pushing the power button, but the monitor
    > displays "no signal". I remove and replace the ram, then it will boot
    > up. When the power is turned off, then on again, the monitor
    > displays "no signal" again, and removing the RAM allows a boot up.
    > What seems to be the cpu heatsink fan noisily vibrating, may be the
    > power supply unit. Because, when the fan is momentarily stopped an
    > alternating sounding buzzing continues (although, the it tapers away).
    > I appreciate any thoughts as to what may be the problem. Thank you.
    >
    > Nick

    Your canned air has perhaps:

    blown something conductive where it shouldn't be (e.g. a bit of solder
    on to the memory connector or memory itself)

    blown some dust where it is causing something (e.g. a fan) to draw
    more current, overloading the power supply, which was on the brink
    of being overloaded anyway (removing the memory causes the machine
    as a whole to use less power)

    blown a decoupling capacitor or other component in such a way that it
    isn't functioning any longer (perhaps because it's no longer connected,
    or the opposite -- shorted), degrading the power to part of the
    motherboard enough to keep the machine from booting when the memory
    is installed

    something else :)

    I'd probably blow some more and see if you can reverse the damage.
    Also make a careful visual inspection, looking for broken traces,
    fans that don't turn, leaking capacitors, dust-bunnies, etc.

    It might be cheap to get a new power supply and try that.

  3. "CJT" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, There was some loud fan noise, so I sprayed canned air thoroughly
    >> throughout the computer case, now the computer is not starting
    >> properly. It lights up when pushing the power button, but the monitor
    >> displays "no signal". I remove and replace the ram, then it will boot
    >> up. When the power is turned off, then on again, the monitor
    >> displays "no signal" again, and removing the RAM allows a boot up.
    >> What seems to be the cpu heatsink fan noisily vibrating, may be the
    >> power supply unit. Because, when the fan is momentarily stopped an
    >> alternating sounding buzzing continues (although, the it tapers away).
    >> I appreciate any thoughts as to what may be the problem. Thank you.
    >>
    >> Nick
    >>

    > Your canned air has perhaps:
    >
    > blown something conductive where it shouldn't be (e.g. a bit of solder
    > on to the memory connector or memory itself)
    >
    > blown some dust where it is causing something (e.g. a fan) to draw
    > more current, overloading the power supply, which was on the brink
    > of being overloaded anyway (removing the memory causes the machine
    > as a whole to use less power)
    >
    > blown a decoupling capacitor or other component in such a way that it
    > isn't functioning any longer (perhaps because it's no longer connected,
    > or the opposite -- shorted), degrading the power to part of the
    > motherboard enough to keep the machine from booting when the memory
    > is installed
    >
    > something else :)
    >
    > I'd probably blow some more and see if you can reverse the damage.
    > Also make a careful visual inspection, looking for broken traces,
    > fans that don't turn, leaking capacitors, dust-bunnies, etc.
    >
    > It might be cheap to get a new power supply and try that.
    >
    > --
    > The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    > minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .

    May be PSU problem. Instead of reseating RAM, just disconnect mains lead
    for 30sec. If it then starts, is PSU tripped out. Disconnecting mains resets
    the trip. Since PSU is noisy, try a new one(or borrow one!).

    Mike.