Computer hands, with solid ON HD LED on a rare basis.

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Bob F, Jul 10, 2010.

  1. Bob F

    Bob F Guest

    I had a couple "hangs" on my "new" PC where the Harddisk LED turns on
    continuously and the performance goes to near zero. The PC consists of a
    Gigabyte Ga-P31DS3L motherboard, Q8200 processor, eVGA 790 GTO videocard, 2x2GB
    Crucial PCII-6400 memory, 2 SATA harddrives, SATA DVD-R drive, OCZ 500W supply
    and a floppy drive.

    The problem shows as a failure to respond to keypresses, and sometimes the
    mouse, for minutes at a time. This has only happened a couple times in 2 weeks.
    If I push the power button for shutdown, it does eventually do it, but has taken
    many minutes to complete the shutdown, even up to 1/2 hour or maybe longer. On
    the next bootup, everything is fine again.

    Looking at the task manager while the problem is occuring, I saw no evidence of
    any task using any significant amount of processor time, with the "idle" process
    generally being 97-99%. It thus seems like this is a problem with the disk
    related components or software.

    Trying to Google this, I found references to at least one notebook that had a
    similar problem that they thought ws related to updated drivers being bad.

    Has anyone heard of any such problem with this or similar motherboards? Any
    clues that might help me? Any suggestion of a utility that might help me monitor
    what the hard disk system thinks it is doing?

    Thanks for your help.

    Bob F, Jul 10, 2010

  2. Bob F

    Bob F Guest

    Bob F wrote:
    > I had a couple "hangs" on my "new" PC where the Harddisk LED turns on
    > continuously and the performance goes to near zero. The PC consists
    > of a Gigabyte Ga-P31DS3L motherboard, Q8200 processor, eVGA 790 GTO
    > videocard, 2x2GB Crucial PCII-6400 memory, 2 SATA harddrives, SATA
    > DVD-R drive, OCZ 500W supply and a floppy drive.
    >
    > The problem shows as a failure to respond to keypresses, and
    > sometimes the mouse, for minutes at a time. This has only happened a
    > couple times in 2 weeks. If I push the power button for shutdown, it
    > does eventually do it, but has taken many minutes to complete the
    > shutdown, even up to 1/2 hour or maybe longer. On the next bootup,
    > everything is fine again.
    > Looking at the task manager while the problem is occuring, I saw no
    > evidence of any task using any significant amount of processor time,
    > with the "idle" process generally being 97-99%. It thus seems like
    > this is a problem with the disk related components or software.
    >
    > Trying to Google this, I found references to at least one notebook
    > that had a similar problem that they thought ws related to updated
    > drivers being bad.
    > Has anyone heard of any such problem with this or similar
    > motherboards? Any clues that might help me? Any suggestion of a
    > utility that might help me monitor what the hard disk system thinks
    > it is doing?

    I have a clue this morning. It failed again. I noticed that Speedfan had an
    error message something like "cannot read SMART data on HD1. I tried pulling the
    power cable off of that hard disk, with no change. Then I pulled the power on
    the DVD RW drive that mastered that SATA port, and in a few seconds everything
    came alive.

    I have now swapped a different DVD RW drive in with a new SATA cable. Now I have
    to give it time to fail again, if it will.

    Bob F, Jul 11, 2010

  3. Bob F

    Joe Mason Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2010, Bob F wrote:

    > Bob F wrote:
    >> I had a couple "hangs" on my "new" PC where the Harddisk LED turns on
    >> continuously and the performance goes to near zero. The PC consists
    >> of a Gigabyte Ga-P31DS3L motherboard, Q8200 processor, eVGA 790 GTO
    >> videocard, 2x2GB Crucial PCII-6400 memory, 2 SATA harddrives, SATA
    >> DVD-R drive, OCZ 500W supply and a floppy drive.
    >>
    >> The problem shows as a failure to respond to keypresses, and
    >> sometimes the mouse, for minutes at a time. This has only happened a
    >> couple times in 2 weeks. If I push the power button for shutdown, it
    >> does eventually do it, but has taken many minutes to complete the
    >> shutdown, even up to 1/2 hour or maybe longer. On the next bootup,
    >> everything is fine again.
    >> Looking at the task manager while the problem is occuring, I saw no
    >> evidence of any task using any significant amount of processor time,
    >> with the "idle" process generally being 97-99%. It thus seems like
    >> this is a problem with the disk related components or software.
    >>
    >> Trying to Google this, I found references to at least one notebook
    >> that had a similar problem that they thought ws related to updated
    >> drivers being bad.
    >> Has anyone heard of any such problem with this or similar
    >> motherboards? Any clues that might help me? Any suggestion of a
    >> utility that might help me monitor what the hard disk system thinks
    >> it is doing?

    > I have a clue this morning. It failed again. I noticed that Speedfan had an
    > error message something like "cannot read SMART data on HD1. I tried pulling the
    > power cable off of that hard disk, with no change. Then I pulled the power on
    > the DVD RW drive that mastered that SATA port, and in a few seconds everything
    > came alive.
    >
    > I have now swapped a different DVD RW drive in with a new SATA cable. Now I have
    > to give it time to fail again, if it will.

    I've had similar issues on past computers with gigabyte boards that I
    didn't overclock and several that I did overclock. 80% of the time I was
    able to fix the issue with a bios update, gigabyte is famous for "rush
    development" and often fail to discover bios bugs before release. Other
    causes have been bad drives which looks like you have found, and then
    there is the chance of having a faulty ram chip (though this is much more
    rare nowadays). I believe that you may have found your culprit in that
    optical drive. I got tired of gigabyte boards and have opted to go with
    other brands such as eVGA and of course ASUS which cater to overclockers
    and have better QA testing than most other board makers. Best of luck.

    Joe Mason, Aug 1, 2010