Computer not accepting DVDs

Discussion in 'Apple' started by macman, Feb 29, 2008.

  1. macman

    macman Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Late June 2005 Power Mac G5 with a superdrive, and whenever I
    put DVDs in the tray, it attempts to read the DVD and after a few
    minutes, it spits out the disk... will re-installing OS X fix this
    problem or is it a hardware issue?

    Thanks,
    Greg

    1. Advertising

  2. Király

    Király Guest

    macman <> wrote:
    > I have a Late June 2005 Power Mac G5 with a superdrive, and whenever I
    > put DVDs in the tray, it attempts to read the DVD and after a few
    > minutes, it spits out the disk... will re-installing OS X fix this
    > problem or is it a hardware issue?

    It's likely a hardware issue. Have you tried cleaning the lens?

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.

    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Feb 28, 10:11 pm, (Király) wrote:
    > macman <> wrote:
    > > I have a Late June 2005 Power Mac G5 with a superdrive, and whenever I
    > > put DVDs in the tray, it attempts to read the DVD and after a few
    > > minutes, it spits out the disk... will re-installing OS X fix this
    > > problem or is it a hardware issue?

    > It's likely a hardware issue.  Have you tried cleaning the lens?

    On a similar issue with an iMac G4, how does one clean the lens?
    Thanks.

  4. macman

    macman Guest

    On Feb 28, 7:12 pm, macman <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Late June 2005 Power Mac G5 with a superdrive, and whenever I
    > put DVDs in the tray, it attempts to read the DVD and after a few
    > minutes, it spits out the disk... will re-installing OS X fix this
    > problem or is it a hardware issue?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Greg

    Hey all, thanks for the help! I ended up trying multiple things:
    Put bad drive with known good ATA cable from computer and it didn't
    work - got rid of suspicion of bad cable
    Put known good drive and good ATA cable and the drive worked - got rid
    of logic board issue suspicion

    So now Apple will replace the drive, yay AppleCare!

    Thanks again everyone!
    - Greg

  5. Király

    Király Guest

    wrote:
    > On a similar issue with an iMac G4, how does one clean the lens?
    > Thanks.

    Lens cleaning kit. $10 from your local radio shack. It's a CD with a
    pair of brushes underneath.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.