computer will not start

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by James Walker, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. James Walker

    James Walker Guest

    Hi guys,

    I have a problem with a soltek sl-75dvr5 motherboard. It has a amd1800+ chip
    and 512mb ddr333 ram

    The problem is at start up. I have take everything out apart from the
    graphics card, and when I turn on the cpu fan seems to rev like someone has
    there foot on an accelerator. if I take the ram out it starts ok till post
    checks the ram, it get the correct beeps code for no ram, and then the
    revving starts. I first thought power supply, but with it starting correctly
    till it looks for ram I am now stumped. I don't have a multi tester so have
    no way of checking the power supply.

    The problem started when the owner of the computer replace the heatsink.
    Before that it was running ok.

    Does anyone have any ideas

    Thanks

    James

    James Walker, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Sounds like the sink was not seated properly. try removing and reseating.
    put some heatsink paste on in between. good luck

    Muhher Fuhher, Jul 8, 2003

  3. James Walker

    Robert Sligh Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:31:43 +0000 (UTC), "James Walker" <> wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >I have a problem with a soltek sl-75dvr5 motherboard. It has a amd1800+ chip
    >and 512mb ddr333 ram
    >
    >The problem is at start up. I have take everything out apart from the
    >graphics card, and when I turn on the cpu fan seems to rev like someone has
    >there foot on an accelerator. if I take the ram out it starts ok till post
    >checks the ram, it get the correct beeps code for no ram, and then the
    >revving starts. I first thought power supply, but with it starting correctly
    >till it looks for ram I am now stumped. I don't have a multi tester so have
    >no way of checking the power supply.
    >
    >The problem started when the owner of the computer replace the heatsink.
    >Before that it was running ok.
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >James

    Heat Sink Fan is connected to proper pins on mother board
    HS is properly seated
    Replace HSF
    Switch ram with another stick of ram

    Robert Sligh, Jul 9, 2003
  4. James Walker

    CoCo Guest

    hi

    maybe faulty rpm signaling?!? (test with another fan on the present hs!)

    coco

    CoCo, Jul 9, 2003