    If yes, how can we do it?

    Thanks,
    Anirudh

    Anirudh Saria, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Anirudh Saria

    mike Guest

    Anirudh Saria wrote:
    > Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a laptop
    > ?
    > If yes, how can we do it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Anirudh

    They have the same pinout except for the smaller physical size
    of the connector and the power going thru the cable.
    You'd need an adapter cable and a power supply for the disk.

    I'd STRONGLY recommend AGAINST trying this. External USB drive is much
    safer and more useful.
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID.
    Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

    mike, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Anirudh Saria

    Phil Guest

    The most practical way is using a Local Area Network to connect the
    computers.

    Phil

    Phil, Dec 30, 2003
  4. > Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop
    > hard drive to a laptop
    > ?
    > If yes, how can we do it?

    Yes. External enclosure. Firewire or hi-speed USB will give
    the best performance and compatibility with current OS's if
    your laptop supports them. Otherwise, there were some PCMCIA
    and parallel port solutions made over the years.

    Here's a USB 2.0 unit from newegg.com -
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-146-030&depa=1

    Best of luck,

    Michael J. Apollyon, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Anirudh Saria

    TV Slug Guest

    Anirudh Saria wrote:
    > Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a
    > laptop ?
    > If yes, how can we do it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Anirudh

    There are many places you can get an external case with interface. You drop
    the hard drive into it and connect it to the USB / Firewire / PCMCIA /
    Parallel(ugh) port.

    Check out http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=CAS and look at the
    drive cases for a place to start.

    TV Slug, Dec 30, 2003
  6. Directly, as an IDE drive, it's theoretically possible but no one makes
    (as far as I know) the adapters that would be necessary. They could be
    custom-made but it would be a lot of trouble, the connectors and cables
    necessary are both relatively hard to find, and it would take an hour or
    two to hand-make the necessary adapter. You would have to power the
    drive externally, with a power supply grounded to the laptop. A real
    pain, but it could be done.

    Indirectly, you can network a desktop containing the drive in question
    to a laptop and have full access to the drive from the laptop.

    You could also use an external USB, PC Card or Firewire drive case to
    accomplish more-or-less the same objective as in the previous paragraph
    with a network. On some laptops, such a configuration might even be
    bootable.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Anirudh Saria

    Jef Norton Guest

    Hi Barry -

    Already been done. Retails for about US$7.00.

    Micro Connectors L02-220 2.5" TO 3.5" Hard Drive Converter/Adapter:
    http://shop4.outpost.com/product/2066996#detailed

    Basically it's a 44-pin 2.5" drive adaptor to a 40-pin IDE cable connector
    with an attached molex power supply connector - makes loading operating
    system install files onto laptops without an optical drive easy.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Dec 31, 2003
  8. Anirudh Saria

    Jef Norton Guest

    Neverrmind.... I should read the subject before I respond (teaches me not to
    hide posts I've already read).

    I was thinking laptop hard drive to desktop computer. I'll take my beating
    now...

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Dec 31, 2003
  9. I think that he want to go the OTHER WAY; to connect the big drive to
    the laptop, not to connect the small drive to the desktop.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 31, 2003
  10. Anirudh Saria

    Jef Norton Guest

    Hi Barry -

    I don't know if my response to myself synced to your news service.... but,
    yeah, I figured that out after going back and re-reading the subject line.

    Sometimes it just doesn't pay to hide already read messages...

    | I think that he want to go the OTHER WAY; to connect the big drive to
    | the laptop, not to connect the small drive to the desktop.
    |

    | Jef Norton wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Barry -
    | >
    | > Already been done. Retails for about US$7.00.
    | >
    | > Micro Connectors L02-220 2.5" TO 3.5" Hard Drive Converter/Adapter:
    | > http://shop4.outpost.com/product/2066996#detailed
    | >
    | > Basically it's a 44-pin 2.5" drive adaptor to a 40-pin IDE cable
    connector
    | > with an attached molex power supply connector - makes loading operating
    | > system install files onto laptops without an optical drive easy.
    | >
    | > Jef
    | >

    | > "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    | > | Directly, as an IDE drive, it's theoretically possible but no one
    makes
    | > | (as far as I know) the adapters that would be necessary. They could
    be
    | > | custom-made but it would be a lot of trouble, the connectors and
    cables
    | > | necessary are both relatively hard to find, and it would take an hour
    or
    | > | two to hand-make the necessary adapter. You would have to power the
    | > | drive externally, with a power supply grounded to the laptop. A real
    | > | pain, but it could be done.
    | > |
    | > | Indirectly, you can network a desktop containing the drive in question
    | > | to a laptop and have full access to the drive from the laptop.
    | > |
    | > | You could also use an external USB, PC Card or Firewire drive case to
    | > | accomplish more-or-less the same objective as in the previous
    paragraph
    | > | with a network. On some laptops, such a configuration might even be
    | > | bootable.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Anirudh Saria wrote: