Contact back up question

Discussion in 'Apple' started by John Young, Jun 27, 2012.

  1. John Young

    John Young Guest

    I use a clone for a backup of my entire hard drive. I also keep all my
    contacts in the cloud so obviously I don't have a back up of my
    contacts. So is a simple "File/Export/Contacts Archive" the best
    solution. If so should the vCard formate be 3.0?
    Then when I update my clone the vCard file would be backed up. Clone is
    on a removable HD using SuperDuper.
    Thanks

    1. Advertising

  2. John Young

    John Young Guest

    In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > John Young <> wrote:
    >
    > > I use a clone for a backup of my entire hard drive. I also keep all my
    > > contacts in the cloud so obviously I don't have a back up of my
    > > contacts. So is a simple "File/Export/Contacts Archive" the best
    > > solution. If so should the vCard formate be 3.0?
    > > Then when I update my clone the vCard file would be backed up. Clone is
    > > on a removable HD using SuperDuper.
    > > Thanks

    > A copy of your contacts are stored on your computer in the
    > ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book/ folder. Therefore, if you
    > clone the entire drive, including your home folder, then the contents of
    > your address book are included in the clone. So if you simply want a
    > backup of your address book, you already have one in your clone.
    >
    > That said, if you ever find yourself needing to import your contacts
    > into a fresh (empty) copy of Address Book on a new computer, and the
    > version of the new, empty Address Book is significantly different than
    > the version of the backup address book application support files in your
    > clone, you can import the file created by File > Export > Contacts
    > Archive into the new address book.

    AS always thank you JR!

    1. Advertising

  3. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <-september.org>
    John Young <> wrote:
    > I use a clone for a backup of my entire hard drive. I also keep all my
    > contacts in the cloud so obviously I don't have a back up of my
    > contacts. So is a simple "File/Export/Contacts Archive" the best
    > solution. If so should the vCard formate be 3.0?

    There is an archive option. This is the second best option.

    The best option is to use Time Machine.

    --
    I WILL NOT PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO BART Bart chalkboard Ep. 7F09