Contact number/email needed for Packard Bell in the UK.

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by Bill Jillians, Feb 1, 2008.

  1. I just tried submitting this email to some email addresses for Packard
    Bell that I got off the Internet (that sadly were 10 years old).

    Can anyone help with something more up to date?

    I post the email here as it may be of interest and somebody may be
    able to say if Packard Bell are the right people to get in contact
    with.

    =====================
    Dear Sir/Madam,

    I am trying to sell a Zenith systems stand alone version of Windows
    3.1 for
    workgroups on ebay (userid: m032tr00). Here is a link to the item
    that was
    not cancelled by ebay but did not sell regardless

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=170175215698&ssPageName=STRK:MEUS:IT&ih=007

    As I understand it I have to contact the company producing the product
    find out why there is a restriction on it that prevents me from
    selling it
    on ebay. Zenith are no more ... and were taken over by Packard Bell
    NEC.
    Therefore I assume that I have to contact you about this.

    This item is not OEM software. It is a free standing package that can
    be
    used with any single computer and I have typed out the licence and can
    send
    that to show that I have legal rights to be able to sell this
    software.

    Here is the licence information. I hope this will allow you to
    clarify the
    situation with ebay

    Yours sincerely
    BJ

    Zenith Data Systems

    Software End User Licence Agreement

    Carefully read the following terms and conditions before opening
    the diskette package. Opening the diskette package indicates your
    understanding and acceptance of all the following terms and
    conditions.
    If you do not agree with them, you may promptly return the diskette
    package
    unopened and any associated documentation (collectively refered to as
    SOFTWARE)
    to your dealer and your money will be refunded.

    IMPORTANT. This SOFTARE is a propriety product and is protected by
    copyright
    laws. It is licenced (not sold) for use on a single machine, and is
    licenced only on the condition that you agree to the terms of this END-
    USER
    LICENCE AGREEMENT. You assume responsibility for the selection of
    the
    SOFTWARE
    to achieve your intended results, and for the installation, use and
    results
    obtained
    from the SOFTWARE.

    Licence
    1. Use. You may use the SOFTWARE on a single machine. The SOFTWARE
    may be
    removed from
    one machine and physically transferred to another machine, but shall
    not
    under any
    circumstances be used concurrently on more than one machine.

    2. Copy, modify and merge. You may copy the SOFTWARE into any
    machine-readable or printed form
    for backup or modification purposes in support of your use of the
    SOFTWARE
    on a single
    machine. Any portion of this SOFTWARE merged into another program
    will
    continue to be
    subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. You must
    reproduce
    and include the
    copyright nitice(s) on any copy, modification or portion merged into
    another
    program.

    3. Transfer. You may transfer the SOFTWARE together with this licence
    another party, but only
    if the other party agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this
    Agreement. If you transfer
    the SOFTWARE and licence, you must at the same time either transfer
    all
    copies (whether in printed
    or machine-readible form) to the same party, or destroy any copies
    not
    transferred, including all
    modifications and portions of the SOFTWARE contained or merged into
    other
    programs. Any such transfer
    of the SOFTWARE and licence to another party terminates your licence.
    Any
    attempt to transfer the
    SOFTWARE and licence, other than as set forth herein, shall be null
    and
    void. In no event may you
    transfer, assign, rent, lease, sell or otherwise dispose of the
    SOFTWARE on
    a temporary or permanent
    basis, except as expressly provided herein.

    4. Other restrictions. You may not reverse engineer, decompile or
    disassemble the SOFTWARE.

    5. Dual media software. If the software package contains both 3.5"
    and
    5.25" disks, you may use only
    the disks appropriate for your single-user computer. You may not use
    the
    other disks on another
    computer, or loan, rent, lease or transfer them to another user,
    except as
    part of the permanent
    transfer (as provided above) of all SOFTWARE and written materials.

    Except as expressly provided in this agreement, any use, copying,
    modification, or merging of the
    SOFTWARE, including documentation, or transfer of the software and
    licence,
    is prohibited.

    Term. The licence is effective until terminated. You may terminate
    it at
    any other time by destroying
    the SOFTWARE together with all copies, modifications and merged
    portions in
    any form. It will also
    terminate upon conditions set forth elsewhere in this Agreement, or if
    you
    fail to comply with any term
    or condition of this Agreement. You agree upon such termination to
    destroy
    the SOFTWARE together with
    all copies, modifications and merged portions in any form.

    Limited warranty. The SOFTWARE is provided "as is" without warranty
    of any
    kind, either expressed or
    implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular
    purpose.
    The entire risk as to the
    quality and performance of the software is with you. Should the
    SOFTWARE
    prove defective, you (and not
    Zenith Data Systems Corporation (hereinafter named ZDS), Microsoft
    Corporation, or an authorized
    personal computer dealer) assume the entire cost of all necessary
    servicing,
    repair or correction.

    Some states do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the
    above
    exclusion may not apply to
    you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also
    have
    other rights which vary from
    state to state.

    Neither ZDS nor Microsoft Corporation warrants that the functions
    contained
    in the SOFTWARE will meet
    your requirements or that the operation of the SOFTWARE will be
    uninterrupted or error free.

    ZDS warrants the diskette(s) on which the SOFTWARE is furnished to be
    free
    from defects in materials and
    workmanship under normal use for a period of ninety (90) days from the
    date
    of delivery to you, as
    evidenced by a copy of your purchase receipt.

    Limitations of remedies. ZDS's and Microsoft Corporation's entire
    liability
    and your exclusive remedy shall
    be the replacement of any diskette not meeting ZDS's "Limited
    Warranty" and
    which is returned to ZDS at the
    address below with a copy of your purchase receipt.

    In no event will ZDS or Microsoft Corporation be liable to you for
    any
    damages, including lost profits, lost
    savings or other incidental or consequential damages arising out of
    the use
    or inability to use such SOFTWARE,
    even if ZDS, Microsoft Corporation or any authorised ZDS personal
    computer
    dealer has been advised of the
    possibility of such damages, or for any claim by any other party.

    Some states do not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability for
    incidental or consequential damages, so
    the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

    General. This Agreement will be governed by the laws of the State of
    Michigan.

    U.S. Government restricted rights. Use, duplicaqtion or disclosure by
    the
    Government is subject to restrictions
    as set forth in subparaqgraph (c)(1)(ii) of the Rights in Technical
    Data and
    Computer Software clause at DFAQRS
    252q.227-701q3 (Oct 1988); or, if provided under a contract or
    subcontract
    with NASA or a civilian agency of the
    Government, to the restrictions set forth in such contract or
    subcontract.
    Zenith Data Systems Corporation of
    Hilltop Road, St. Joseph, Michigan 49085.

    You acknowledge that you have read this agreement, understand it, and
    agree
    to be bound by its terms and conditions.
    You further agree that it is the complete and exclusive statement of
    the
    agreement between you and ZDS which
    supersedes any proposal or prior agreement oral or written, and any
    other
    communications between us relating to the
    subject matter of this agreement.

    Should you have any questions concerning this Agreement, or if you
    desire to
    contact ZDS for any reason, please
    contact your ZDS Sqales Representative

    Zenith Data Systems Europe Zenith Data Systems
    Marketting Department Service Receiving
    55, Avenue des Champs Pierreux 2901 Lakeshore Drive
    92002 Nanterre St. Joseph, MI 49085

    Bill Jillians, Feb 1, 2008

  2. Bill Jillians

    philo Guest

    "Bill Jillians" <> wrote in message
    > I just tried submitting this email to some email addresses for Packard
    > Bell that I got off the Internet (that sadly were 10 years old).
    >
    > Can anyone help with something more up to date?
    >
    > I post the email here as it may be of interest and somebody may be
    > able to say if Packard Bell are the right people to get in contact
    > with.
    >
    > =====================
    > Dear Sir/Madam,
    >
    > I am trying to sell a Zenith systems stand alone version of Windows
    > 3.1 for
    > workgroups on ebay (userid: m032tr00). Here is a link to the item
    > that was
    > not cancelled by ebay but did not sell regardless

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=170175215698&ssPageName=STRK:MEUS:IT&ih=007

    > As I understand it I have to contact the company producing the product
    > find out why there is a restriction on it that prevents me from
    > selling it
    > on ebay. Zenith are no more ... and were taken over by Packard Bell
    > NEC.
    > Therefore I assume that I have to contact you about this.

    <snip>

    First off...to find Packard Bell...it's as simple as a Google search. It
    will come up as the first hit.

    Note: As you *clearly* stated above the item was*NOT*...cancelled by ebay...
    it simply did not sell. *As you have clearly stated*
    My guess is that no one actualy wants to buy a 386 machine or whatever it
    was you were trying to sell.

    philo, Feb 1, 2008

  3. On 1 Feb, 09:02, "philo" <> wrote:
    > "Bill Jillians" <> wrote in message

    > > I just tried submitting this email to some email addresses for Packard
    > > Bell that I got off the Internet (that sadly were 10 years old).

    > > Can anyone help with something more up to date?

    > > I post the email here as it may be of interest and somebody may be
    > > able to say if Packard Bell are the right people to get in contact
    > > with.

    > > =====================
    > > Dear Sir/Madam,

    > > I am trying to sell a Zenith systems stand alone version of Windows
    > > 3.1 for
    > > workgroups on ebay (userid: m032tr00).  Here is a link to the item
    > > that was
    > > not cancelled by ebay but did not sell regardless

    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=17017521569....
    >

    > > As I understand it I have to contact the company producing the product
    > > find out why there is a restriction on it that prevents me from
    > > selling it
    > > on ebay.  Zenith are no more ... and were taken over by Packard Bell
    > > NEC.
    > > Therefore I assume that I have to contact you about this.

    > <snip>
    >
    > First off...to find Packard Bell...it's as simple as a Google search. It
    > will come up as the first hit.
    >
    > Note: As you *clearly* stated above the item was*NOT*...cancelled by ebay....
    > it simply did not sell. *As you have clearly stated*
    > My guess is that no one actualy wants to buy a 386 machine or whatever it
    > was you were trying to sell.- Hide quoted text -

    My apologies for not clarifying things. I was selling these software
    packaged until December 2007 with no trouble from ebay. Suddenly at
    that point they started cancelling my adverts. The advert listed in
    the link was the last one that neither sold or was cancelled. Ebay
    don't keep links to cancelled items on their server.

    I am selling Windows for Workgroups 3.1 in a sealed pack and no
    indication in the licence that I should not be able to do so or that I
    am selling OEM software and that hardware should be included with the
    software.

    I naturally tried Google and got an address for Packard Bell which is
    the NL from their website. No functioning email address was given. I
    searched Google for an unofficial email address and got 2 that don't
    work.

    I would have thought it wouldn't be so difficult to come to a packard
    bell newsgroup and expect some regular to be able to provide a current
    email address for the company but maybe I am wrong about that.

    Thank you.
    Bill Jillians

    Bill Jillians, Feb 1, 2008
  4. Bill Jillians

    Elector Guest

    "Bill Jillians" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
[...]

    Bill This is the Official Email from the website:
    http://www.packardbell.co.uk/cross/contact

    <>

    After you click I purchased my Product somewhere else the email opens up.

    I Hope I helped?

    Elector

    Elector, Feb 1, 2008
  5. Bill Jillians

    philo Guest

    "Elector" <> wrote in message

    > "Bill Jillians" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > My apologies for not clarifying things. I was selling these software
    > packaged until December 2007 with no trouble from ebay. Suddenly at
    > that point they started cancelling my adverts. The advert listed in
    > the link was the last one that neither sold or was cancelled. Ebay
    > don't keep links to cancelled items on their server.
    >
    > I am selling Windows for Workgroups 3.1 in a sealed pack and no
    > indication in the licence that I should not be able to do so or that I
    > am selling OEM software and that hardware should be included with the
    > software.
    >
    > I naturally tried Google and got an address for Packard Bell which is
    > the NL from their website. No functioning email address was given. I
    > searched Google for an unofficial email address and got 2 that don't
    > work.
    >
    > I would have thought it wouldn't be so difficult to come to a packard
    > bell newsgroup and expect some regular to be able to provide a current
    > email address for the company but maybe I am wrong about that.
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Bill Jillians
    >
    > Bill This is the Official Email from the website:
    > http://www.packardbell.co.uk/cross/contact
    >
    > <>
    >
    > After you click I purchased my Product somewhere else the email opens up.
    >
    > I Hope I helped?
    >
    > Elector

    Here is a list of UK forums
    http://forum.packardbell.com/en/

    As to Ebay cancelling your listing...
    Even though win3x if quite old...Ebay sill cancels sales of operating
    systems they think may not be
    licensed

    philo, Feb 1, 2008
  6. Bill Jillians

    Ben Myers Guest

    Somehow I escaped eBay and Microsoft scrutiny when I recently sold a
    shrink-wrapped French version of Windows 98 OEM... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 1, 2008
  7. Bill Jillians

    philo Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > Somehow I escaped eBay and Microsoft scrutiny when I recently sold a
    > shrink-wrapped French version of Windows 98 OEM... Ben Myers

    I assume you supplied the license with it...so that of course was completely
    legit.

    I don't know where one would come up with a license for win3x...
    maybe Ebay assumed the win3x was not licensed and pulled the auction...???

    philo, Feb 1, 2008
  8. Bill Jillians

    Ben Myers Guest

    I think I still have in my garage a few packaged sets of Win 3.1 and DOS 6.22,
    manuals, certificate and all. To install 3.1, you did not need to enter a
    license key, IIRC... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 2, 2008
  9. Bill Jillians

    philo Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > I think I still have in my garage a few packaged sets of Win 3.1 and DOS

    6.22,
    > manuals, certificate and all. To install 3.1, you did not need to enter a
    > license key, IIRC... Ben Myers

    That's correct. Win3x never needed a license key...
    and most of the software back then never needed one either.

    I recall a funny story about some win3x software i once picked up at a
    rummage sale.
    When I went to install it...I did have to enter a serial number...which I of
    course did not have.
    The installer said something like this:

    Enter S/N ( IE: XXX-XXXXX)

    Out of frustration I just entered : XXX-XXXXX

    Yep, it worked fine <G>

    philo, Feb 2, 2008