Continuing problems K7VTA3 v6

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Anonymous, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I continue to have weird problems that seem to indicate that this board
    is not reliable. Hoping someone can give me pointers.

    I had a Thunderbird 1.333 MHz processor in this rig for years with no
    problems or stability issues.

    Now I have replaced it with a Barton 2800+. I run into problems running
    Prime95. The longest I have been able to stress test is right around 8
    hours then I get a bunch of SUMOUT errors and it quits.

    So, I thought it might be the memory. I ran memtest over night with no
    problems for the memory.

    So, then I run PCMark04 a bunch of times, no problems.

    So, then I run CPUBurn. No problems.

    So, in summary, it seems that when I test memory itself, no problems.
    When I test the CPU, seems no problems. However, when I use the blend
    test of Prime95, I eventually get SUMOUT errors. Anywhere from 1 to 8
    hours after the test begins.

    I notice while monitoring everything with Motherboard Monitor, I see
    some of the voltages all over the place. The worst offender is the +12
    monitor. It goes from +6 to up around +11. I read on the net that
    there is apparently a sensor problem with these boards, but I would like
    to know for sure. Vcore seems pretty steady at 1.62 to 1.63.

    I also tried a different power supply, thinking this one might be flaky,
    but I get the same behavior.

    In summary, it seems like the board might be the problem in this
    configuration. Like I said it was rock steady with the 1.333 MHz
    processor, 133 FSB, but dropping in the Barton and upping the FSB to
    166, I get these problems.

    Any insights to this maddening problem are appreciated.

    Dave

    Anonymous, Aug 30, 2005

  2. Anonymous

    uddarts Guest

    "" wrote:
    > I continue to have weird problems that seem to indicate that
    > this board
    > is not reliable. Hoping someone can give me pointers.
    >
    > I had a Thunderbird 1.333 MHz processor in this rig for years
    > with no
    > problems or stability issues.
    >
    > Now I have replaced it with a Barton 2800+. I run into
    > problems running
    > Prime95. The longest I have been able to stress test is right
    > around 8
    > hours then I get a bunch of SUMOUT errors and it quits.
    >
    > So, I thought it might be the memory. I ran memtest over
    > night with no
    > problems for the memory.
    >
    > So, then I run PCMark04 a bunch of times, no problems.
    >
    > So, then I run CPUBurn. No problems.
    >
    > So, in summary, it seems that when I test memory itself, no
    > problems.
    > When I test the CPU, seems no problems. However, when I use
    > the blend
    > test of Prime95, I eventually get SUMOUT errors. Anywhere
    > from 1 to 8
    > hours after the test begins.
    >
    > I notice while monitoring everything with Motherboard Monitor,
    > I see
    > some of the voltages all over the place. The worst offender
    > is the +12
    > monitor. It goes from +6 to up around +11. I read on the net
    > that
    > there is apparently a sensor problem with these boards, but I
    > would like
    > to know for sure. Vcore seems pretty steady at 1.62 to 1.63.
    >
    > I also tried a different power supply, thinking this one might
    > be flaky,
    > but I get the same behavior.
    >
    > In summary, it seems like the board might be the problem in
    > this
    > configuration. Like I said it was rock steady with the 1.333
    > MHz
    > processor, 133 FSB, but dropping in the Barton and upping the
    > FSB to
    > 166, I get these problems.
    >
    > Any insights to this maddening problem are appreciated.
    >
    > Dave

    the darn thing should work. what’s the deal here? if your board had
    vcore adjustments, the first thing i’d tell you is to bump it up. that
    normally solves that prime95 bust out.

    i just looked at pdf manual for your board. there is no sensor for the
    12v. that’s why you get the bouncing reading. i would use a digital
    multimeter on the yellow wire on a molex to make sure the 12v line
    isn’t low. they sell for $15.

    check your capacitors on the board. do any of them appear to be
    leaking or have puffy tops?

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Elitegroup-Continuing-problems-K7VTA3-v6-ftopict61361.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=309811

    uddarts, Aug 31, 2005

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    uddarts wrote:
    > "" wrote:
    > > I continue to have weird problems that seem to indicate that
    > > this board
    > > is not reliable. Hoping someone can give me pointers.
    > >
    > > I had a Thunderbird 1.333 MHz processor in this rig for years
    > > with no
    > > problems or stability issues.
    > >
    > > Now I have replaced it with a Barton 2800+. I run into
    > > problems running
    > > Prime95. The longest I have been able to stress test is right
    > > around 8
    > > hours then I get a bunch of SUMOUT errors and it quits.
    > >
    > > So, I thought it might be the memory. I ran memtest over
    > > night with no
    > > problems for the memory.
    > >
    > > So, then I run PCMark04 a bunch of times, no problems.
    > >
    > > So, then I run CPUBurn. No problems.
    > >
    > > So, in summary, it seems that when I test memory itself, no
    > > problems.
    > > When I test the CPU, seems no problems. However, when I use
    > > the blend
    > > test of Prime95, I eventually get SUMOUT errors. Anywhere
    > > from 1 to 8
    > > hours after the test begins.
    > >
    > > I notice while monitoring everything with Motherboard Monitor,
    > > I see
    > > some of the voltages all over the place. The worst offender
    > > is the +12
    > > monitor. It goes from +6 to up around +11. I read on the net
    > > that
    > > there is apparently a sensor problem with these boards, but I
    > > would like
    > > to know for sure. Vcore seems pretty steady at 1.62 to 1.63.
    > >
    > > I also tried a different power supply, thinking this one might
    > > be flaky,
    > > but I get the same behavior.
    > >
    > > In summary, it seems like the board might be the problem in
    > > this
    > > configuration. Like I said it was rock steady with the 1.333
    > > MHz
    > > processor, 133 FSB, but dropping in the Barton and upping the
    > > FSB to
    > > 166, I get these problems.
    > >
    > > Any insights to this maddening problem are appreciated.
    > >
    > > Dave

    > the darn thing should work. what’s the deal here? if your board had
    > vcore adjustments, the first thing i’d tell you is to bump it up. that
    > normally solves that prime95 bust out.
    >
    > i just looked at pdf manual for your board. there is no sensor for the
    > 12v. that’s why you get the bouncing reading. i would use a digital
    > multimeter on the yellow wire on a molex to make sure the 12v line
    > isn’t low. they sell for $15.
    >
    > check your capacitors on the board. do any of them appear to be
    > leaking or have puffy tops?
    >

    > ud

    ud,

    i will be getting a multimeter tomorrow to followup on your suggestion.

    the board looks pristine. no bad/going bad caps that i can see.

    i do think that everything seems to be narrowing down to the fact that
    the Vcore may be too low.

    MBM 5 says that the average Vcore is like 1.62. From what I have read
    it should be 1.65 minimum.

    I cannot figure out why the Vcore is too low for this CPU. I dont feel
    comfortable doing a pin mod. I have an Abit KD7 motherboard on the way.
    I will see how thw CPU performs with that.

    thanks for the suggestions...

    Anonymous, Sep 1, 2005
  4. Anonymous

    uddarts Guest

    Re: Re: Continuing problems K7VTA3 v6

    "" wrote:
> [...]

    > be
    > > leaking or have puffy tops?
    > >

    > > ud
    > >

    > ud,
    >
    > i will be getting a multimeter tomorrow to followup on your
    > suggestion.
    >
    > the board looks pristine. no bad/going bad caps that i can
    > see.
    >
    > i do think that everything seems to be narrowing down to the
    > fact that
    > the Vcore may be too low.
    >
    > MBM 5 says that the average Vcore is like 1.62. From what I
    > have read
    > it should be 1.65 minimum.
    >
    > I cannot figure out why the Vcore is too low for this CPU. I
    > dont feel
    > comfortable doing a pin mod. I have an Abit KD7 motherboard
    > on the way.
    > I will see how thw CPU performs with that.

    i no expert by any means. just a hands on type with enough time around
    the forums to have some sort of idea on what the normal problems are
    and what to do to narrow things down. the low vcore isn’t unusual and
    it’s not caused by the psu. it’s more the bios or board that sets it
    that way. a weak psu could be causing something else to malfunction. i
    suspect we won’t find the psu is bad. i’m just covering the bases.

    i just google the kd7. the review show a much more comprehensive
    bios/monitoring. if you notice near the bottom of the page, they show
    12v reading at 11.73v. that isn’t unusual. if you put your new
    multimeter on a molex it could well show near 12v. so don’t panic. it
    looks like a nice board.
    i still have a abit kt7a-r that i use.

    http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/abit-kd7r/index04.htm

    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=309982