    connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
    Thanks,
    Rich
    Rich, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Rich

    Chris 159 Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:bst12j$j0c$...
    > Hi,
    > My laptop computer supports 5.1 surround sound (at least the manual says

    it
    > does), but does not have separate outputs for each of the speakers. It

    does,
    > however, have a digital coaxial output - would this output all of the
    > individual signals for each of the speakers? If so, is there any device

    that
    > could split this digital signal into the six analog signals that I need to
    > connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
    > Thanks,
    > Rich

    a lot of pc's that support direct connection of 5.1 speakers use the mic and
    line in sockets as the other 4 channels for the speakers. usually theres
    some form of configuration in the advanced volume properties

    HTH
    Chris 159, Dec 30, 2003

  3. .....or get a Creative Extigy external sound card that will take the digital
    output and give you 5.1 surround sound!!

    dave
    "Chris 159" <> wrote in message

    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > My laptop computer supports 5.1 surround sound (at least the manual says

    > it
    > > does), but does not have separate outputs for each of the speakers. It

    > does,
    > > however, have a digital coaxial output - would this output all of the
    > > individual signals for each of the speakers? If so, is there any device

    > that
    > > could split this digital signal into the six analog signals that I need

    > > connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Rich
    > >

    > a lot of pc's that support direct connection of 5.1 speakers use the mic

    and
    > line in sockets as the other 4 channels for the speakers. usually theres
    > some form of configuration in the advanced volume properties
    >
    > HTH

    ---
    David Stephens, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Rich

    Jac Guest

    I think you need to connect the digital output to the digital input of Dolby
    amplifier, which converts and amplifies the digital signal to five
    individual analog signals.

    Jac

    Jac, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Rich

    Dale Guest

    "Jac" <> wrote in message news:<3ff54272$0$16788$>...
    > I think you need to connect the digital output to the digital input of Dolby
    > amplifier, which converts and amplifies the digital signal to five
    > individual analog signals.
    >
    > Jac
    >
    > "Rich" <> schreef in bericht
    > > Hi,
    > > My laptop computer supports 5.1 surround sound (at least the manual says

    > it
    > > does), but does not have separate outputs for each of the speakers. It

    > does,
    > > however, have a digital coaxial output - would this output all of the
    > > individual signals for each of the speakers? If so, is there any device

    > that
    > > could split this digital signal into the six analog signals that I need to
    > > connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Rich

    Yeah, from my understanding Jac is right. I too have a 5.1 capable
    card in my PC with a digital out connection, but finding a cable that
    goes from the mini jack on my PC to a digital coax connection on my
    klipsch promedia reciever seems to be the problem. I have looked
    everywhere online and off but have yet to find one. Some idiot at
    radioshack said they usually have them in stock, but i am beginning to
    think he has no idea what i need since radioshack.com didn't have the
    cable either. If someone finds a cable please tell me.

    Dale
    Dale, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Rich

    Guest

    You don't need a special cable, any cable and combination of adapter plugs will
    work as long as the distance is not too long. Its a digital signal, either on
    or off, so there's really no degradation based on the cable or plug, although
    its probably a good idea not to go over 12 feet in length.

    http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_007_002_003_008&product_id=42-2444

    On 15 Jan 2004 19:44:24 -0800, (Dale) wrote:

    >>Yeah, from my understanding Jac is right. I too have a 5.1 capable
    >>card in my PC with a digital out connection, but finding a cable that
    >>goes from the mini jack on my PC to a digital coax connection on my
    >>klipsch promedia reciever seems to be the problem. I have looked
    >>everywhere online and off but have yet to find one. Some idiot at
    >>radioshack said they usually have them in stock, but i am beginning to
    >>think he has no idea what i need since radioshack.com didn't have the
    >>cable either. If someone finds a cable please tell me.
    >>
    >>Dale
    , Jan 16, 2004