    to DVD?

    Best regards

    Ben

    Ben Blackmore, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Ben Blackmore

    stacey Guest

    Ben Blackmore wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What do I need to be able to transfer my
    > videos to DVD?

    A google search?
    --

    Stacey

    stacey, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Ben Blackmore

    Bert Root Guest

    Prior to the stampede Ben Blackmore tryped...

    > I want to convert some old home videos to dvd, and I'm not to sure

    Irrelevant cross posting gimp

    Try one of the relevant groups you didn't like .......
    alt.video.dvd.authoring perhaps.

    Bert Root, Jan 4, 2004
  4. if you don't have anything to add to a simple question why don't you fucking
    piss off! Get a life you sad twat!

    Ben Blackmore, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Ben Blackmore

    J.Clarke Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:02:30 -0000
    "Ben Blackmore" <> wrote:

    > if you don't have anything to add to a simple question why don't you
    > fucking piss off! Get a life you sad twat!

    Actually, he did add something constructive, although the both of you
    need your mouths washed out with soap. He suggested that the OP try a
    newsgroup in which he was likely to find more expertise in that
    particular area than the ones that he used.

    > "Bert Root" <> wrote in message
    > > Prior to the stampede Ben Blackmore tryped...
    > >
    > > > I want to convert some old home videos to dvd, and I'm not to sure

    > > Irrelevant cross posting gimp
    > >
    > > Try one of the relevant groups you didn't like .......
    > > alt.video.dvd.authoring perhaps.
    > >
    > > --
    > > ><((((º> Bert Root® <º))))><

    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J.Clarke, Jan 4, 2004
  6. www.dvdrhelp.com

    "Ben Blackmore" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to convert some old home videos to dvd, and I'm not to sure how. As
    > they are mostly still on the little camcorder tapes, I guess I need to
    > connect the camcoder to a graphics card with TV in. Trouble is, although I
    > know a bit about graphics cards, I don't know much about video cards with

    TV
    > out! What am I looking for? What do I need to be able to transfer my

    videos

    Cathy De Viney, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Ben Blackmore

    Dan Guest

    Look in here: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/
    Also here:
    http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/download/dl_file_new.jsp?dl_id=40&ProdId=20

    Good luck.
    Dan

    "J.Clarke" <> wrote in message

    Dan, Jan 4, 2004
  8. Ben Blackmore

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    Ben Blackmore <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to convert some old home videos to dvd, and I'm not to sure
    > how. As they are mostly still on the little camcorder tapes, I guess
    > I need to connect the camcoder to a graphics card with TV in. Trouble
    > is, although I know a bit about graphics cards, I don't know much
    > about video cards with TV out! What am I looking for? What do I need
    > to be able to transfer my videos to DVD?

    You don't need a new graphics card.

    You need:

    1: A TV or video capture card with video (or S-VHS) in, depending on the
    output of your camcorder. A Pinnacle PTCV or WinTV can often be found on
    sale for around $30-40.
    2: A DVD burner. A 4x speed burner that doubles as a CD burner can be
    picked up for less than $150 these days.
    3: A good video editing program. For consumers, Pinnacle Studio 8 is a
    good choice, while Screenblast Movie Studio is somewhat easier to use (and
    comes with "free" DVD player software) . Note that you can often combine 1
    and 3 and buy a bundle with a capture card and the software for the same
    price as just the software -- for Pinnacle Studio AV, this would be $100
    (the same as for Studio 8 alone).

    If you have an external DVD burner, you need a card with video out, or a
    converter that can turn the video signal from the computer into an input
    format your DVD recorder can understand. With cables and audio converter
    plugs, that's probably going to cost you more than a DVD burner, even if
    going for the cheapest card.

    And, as others stated, you can find better answers by looking in the *right*
    groups. Since you crossposted this to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,
    my initial reaction was to recommend the Matrox RT.X10 Suite, but that would
    almost certainly be overkill for you.

    For the future, please keep the crossposting down, and if you expect a
    little effort from us in answering, at the very least expend a little effort
    in finding out the correct groups to post to. People here aren't paid to
    answer your questions, and it's rude to ask people for their time without
    putting in ANY effort whatsoever yourself -- not even finding appropriate
    groups to ask in!

    --
    *Art

    Arthur Hagen, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Ben Blackmore

    Bert Root Guest

    Prior to the stampede Ben Blackmore tryped...

    > if you don't have anything to add to a simple question why don't you
    > fucking piss off! Get a life you sad twat!

    Easy tiger. I was only pushing you in the right direction. Try www.doom9.net
    as well for help on conversions.

    Bert Root, Jan 4, 2004
  10. Ben Blackmore

    Tony Guest

    Ben I use my DV camvcorder pass thru for that, its great, but I also use a
    GF 4600 VIVO videocard, and I capture off TV or VCR and that is excellent.
    The Leadtek PVR software is very good, and the high bitrayte mpg2 is very
    good, ot you can capture to a DV avi, and encode with TMPGEnc, which does
    give a better result. I was impressed

    Tony, Jan 5, 2004
  11. > > Actually, he did add something constructive, although the both of you
    > > need your mouths washed out with soap. He suggested that the OP try a
    > > newsgroup in which he was likely to find more expertise in that
    > > particular area than the ones that he used.

    OK, sorry, bad day! I get a little ticked off when people post comments that
    aren't helpful!

    > > Try one of the relevant groups you didn't like .......
    > > alt.video.dvd.authoring perhaps.

    And I had posted on the suggested alt.video.dvd newsgroup and got another
    useless reply i.e. "Wrong group. No regards."
    Post on the video.dvd group and they say try videocard newsgroup, try them
    and they say try the video.dvd

    Ben Blackmore, Jan 5, 2004
  12. Ben Blackmore

    J.Clarke Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:02:29 -0000
    "Ben Blackmore" <> wrote:

    > > > Actually, he did add something constructive, although the both of
    > > > you need your mouths washed out with soap. He suggested that the
    > > > OP try a newsgroup in which he was likely to find more expertise
    > > > in that particular area than the ones that he used.
    > > >

    > OK, sorry, bad day! I get a little ticked off when people post
    > comments that aren't helpful!
    >
    > > > Try one of the relevant groups you didn't like .......
    > > > alt.video.dvd.authoring perhaps.

    > And I had posted on the suggested alt.video.dvd newsgroup and got
    > another useless reply i.e. "Wrong group. No regards."
    > Post on the video.dvd group and they say try videocard newsgroup, try
    > them and they say try the video.dvd

    Actually the best place to look for this kind of information is probably
    rec.video.desktop or rec.video.production. And for google the keywords
    you need are "video capture", "video editing", and "dvd
    authoring". You'll also find good information at
    "http://www.avsforum.com". A reseller site, <http://www.videoguys.com>
    has some good information for beginners.

    That said, it's a big question in some ways because how you go about it
    depends on how good you want and how much effort you want to put into
    it and how much you're willing to spend. You can sink $20K into a
    professional quality video capture and editing rig easily, then spend
    the next year or two learning to use it (at which point you have a
    highly marketable skill in some parts of the world), or you can do
    a "good enough" job for many purposes using a $50 capture board and the
    software that comes with that and your DVD burner and putting a couple
    of hours into figuring out the basics. Further, if you're on a budget
    the cheapest way to get where you want to be depends on what you've
    already got--if you've got a pretty powerful machine then the best
    approach might go one way, if not it might go another, if you've got a
    digital camcorder on hand already it might go a third, and so on. If you
    want easy more than you want flexible then a standalone DVD recorder
    might be a better bet for you than a computer-based solution. Then
    there's the whole DVD+ vs DVD- thing . . .

    J.Clarke, Jan 6, 2004
  13. Ben Blackmore

    Tony Guest

    If you have a DV Camcorder, that allows a pass thropugh from your
    VCR/Analogue Camcorder/TV to the PC as a DV avi file, then you can easily
    edit, encode, and author to DVD

    Or you can buy a Analogue Capture card quite cheap, you may find the
    softawre too basic and limiting, but just use decent software that allows
    capture to DV avi

    Tony, Jan 7, 2004
  14. "J.Clarke" <> wrote in message

    > Actually the best place to look for this kind of information is probably
    > rec.video.desktop or rec.video.production. And for google the keywords
    > you need are "video capture", "video editing", and "dvd
    > authoring". You'll also find good information at
    > "http://www.avsforum.com". A reseller site, <http://www.videoguys.com>
    > has some good information for beginners.
    >
    > That said, it's a big question in some ways because how you go about it
    > depends on how good you want and how much effort you want to put into
    > it and how much you're willing to spend. You can sink $20K into a
    > professional quality video capture and editing rig easily, then spend
    > the next year or two learning to use it (at which point you have a
    > highly marketable skill in some parts of the world), or you can do
    > a "good enough" job for many purposes using a $50 capture board and the
    > software that comes with that and your DVD burner and putting a couple
    > of hours into figuring out the basics. Further, if you're on a budget
    > the cheapest way to get where you want to be depends on what you've
    > already got--if you've got a pretty powerful machine then the best
    > approach might go one way, if not it might go another, if you've got a
    > digital camcorder on hand already it might go a third, and so on. If you
    > want easy more than you want flexible then a standalone DVD recorder
    > might be a better bet for you than a computer-based solution. Then
    > there's the whole DVD+ vs DVD- thing . . .
    >
    > --
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Wel $20k is a little bit to much to be sinking into it, maybe £50 - £100 and
    it does need to be easy, so my mother can use it! I'll have a look at those
    sites, see what I can find out. I was looking at the product Colon Terminus
    posted the link to further down,
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=1426&Langue_ID=7
    looks like it can do multiple format and is easy to use, doesn't cost to
    much either. I'll have to research a bit more, see what the best solution
    will be, my mother has just got a new 2.2ghz amd with 512mb ram so its quite
    powerful, I think she'll want quality over speed/ease of use, as these are
    old family videos, and there are a few of a late family member that I know
    she wants transfered, so she'll want them good quality!

    Cheers

    Ben

    Ben Blackmore, Jan 8, 2004
  15. Ben Blackmore

    stacey Guest

    Ben Blackmore wrote:

    > "J.Clarke" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Actually the best place to look for this kind of information is probably
    >> rec.video.desktop or rec.video.production. And for google the keywords
    >> you need are "video capture", "video editing", and "dvd
    >> authoring". You'll also find good information at
    >> "http://www.avsforum.com". A reseller site, <http://www.videoguys.com>
    >> has some good information for beginners.
    >>
    >> That said, it's a big question in some ways because how you go about it
    >> depends on how good you want and how much effort you want to put into
    >> it and how much you're willing to spend. You can sink $20K into a
    >> professional quality video capture and editing rig easily, then spend
    >> the next year or two learning to use it (at which point you have a
    >> highly marketable skill in some parts of the world), or you can do
    >> a "good enough" job for many purposes using a $50 capture board and the
    >> software that comes with that and your DVD burner and putting a couple
    >> of hours into figuring out the basics. Further, if you're on a budget
    >> the cheapest way to get where you want to be depends on what you've
    >> already got--if you've got a pretty powerful machine then the best
    >> approach might go one way, if not it might go another, if you've got a
    >> digital camcorder on hand already it might go a third, and so on. If you
    >> want easy more than you want flexible then a standalone DVD recorder
    >> might be a better bet for you than a computer-based solution. Then
    >> there's the whole DVD+ vs DVD- thing . . .
    >>
    >> --
    >> --
    >> --John
    >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    > Wel $20k is a little bit to much to be sinking into it, maybe £50 - £100
    > and it does need to be easy, so my mother can use it! I'll have a look at
    > those sites, see what I can find out. I was looking at the product Colon
    > Terminus posted the link to further down,
    > http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=1426&Langue_ID=7
    > looks like it can do multiple format and is easy to use, doesn't cost to
    > much either. I'll have to research a bit more, see what the best solution
    > will be, my mother has just got a new 2.2ghz amd with 512mb ram so its
    > quite powerful, I think she'll want quality over speed/ease of use, as
    > these are old family videos, and there are a few of a late family member
    > that I know she wants transfered, so she'll want them good quality!

    Simple, cheap and good quality, pick one...

    --

    Stacey

    stacey, Jan 9, 2004
  16. Ben Blackmore

    J. Clarke Guest

    Ben Blackmore wrote:

    > "J.Clarke" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Actually the best place to look for this kind of information is probably
    >> rec.video.desktop or rec.video.production. And for google the keywords
    >> you need are "video capture", "video editing", and "dvd
    >> authoring". You'll also find good information at
    >> "http://www.avsforum.com". A reseller site, <http://www.videoguys.com>
    >> has some good information for beginners.
    >>
    >> That said, it's a big question in some ways because how you go about it
    >> depends on how good you want and how much effort you want to put into
    >> it and how much you're willing to spend. You can sink $20K into a
    >> professional quality video capture and editing rig easily, then spend
    >> the next year or two learning to use it (at which point you have a
    >> highly marketable skill in some parts of the world), or you can do
    >> a "good enough" job for many purposes using a $50 capture board and the
    >> software that comes with that and your DVD burner and putting a couple
    >> of hours into figuring out the basics. Further, if you're on a budget
    >> the cheapest way to get where you want to be depends on what you've
    >> already got--if you've got a pretty powerful machine then the best
    >> approach might go one way, if not it might go another, if you've got a
    >> digital camcorder on hand already it might go a third, and so on. If you
    >> want easy more than you want flexible then a standalone DVD recorder
    >> might be a better bet for you than a computer-based solution. Then
    >> there's the whole DVD+ vs DVD- thing . . .
    >>
    >> --
    >> --
    >> --John
    >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    > Wel $20k is a little bit to much to be sinking into it, maybe £50 - £100
    > and it does need to be easy, so my mother can use it! I'll have a look at
    > those sites, see what I can find out. I was looking at the product Colon
    > Terminus posted the link to further down,
    > http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=1426&Langue_ID=7
    > looks like it can do multiple format and is easy to use, doesn't cost to
    > much either. I'll have to research a bit more, see what the best solution
    > will be, my mother has just got a new 2.2ghz amd with 512mb ram so its
    > quite powerful, I think she'll want quality over speed/ease of use, as
    > these are old family videos, and there are a few of a late family member
    > that I know she wants transfered, so she'll want them good quality!

    There's a bit more expensive product that works in a similar manner with
    Firewire that has more third-party support than the Dazzle you're looking
    at. Take a look at the Canopus ADVC-100. If you are _not_ running XP then
    the ADVC-50 or ADVC-1394 would also do the job for less money, but they
    have some kind of problem with XP service pack 1 that Canopus and Microsoft
    haven't been able to resolve.

    The earlier Dazzle devices had some limitations due to the low bandwidth of
    USB 1.x--the one you're looking at uses 2.0 so it might resolve those
    issues. There's also a general compatibility issue--firewire is an
    accepted standard for communicating with digital video devices and just
    about any piece of decent video-editing software out there can use it and
    so should be able to deal with one of the Canopus products. USB 2.0 may
    become such a standard in the future but it is not there yet, and so
    support for devices attached via USB is less common.

    There's another place to look for information by the way,
    <http://www.dvdrhelp.com>

    J. Clarke, Jan 9, 2004