    but it's just rather annoying to be told my cpu is going to melt everytime
    I turn the machine on!

    Cheers.
    Vormulac, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Vormulac

    Ed Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:01:31 GMT, Vormulac <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have just installed a Coolermaster Aero blower as a cpu fan, and the
    >first thing my A7N8X-Deluxe on power up is complain about the cpu fan
    >failing (it's running just fine).
    >
    >Sure enough, in BIOS cpu fan is reading as 0 rpm, but Asus Probe 2.20.07
    >says it running at 1844 rpm.
    >
    >Has anyone else experienced this? It's not causing any trouble of course,
    >but it's just rather annoying to be told my cpu is going to melt everytime
    >I turn the machine on!
    >
    >Cheers.

    Is Asus Q-Fan off in bios?

    FWIW, I have that fan in a A7N8X v2(non-dlx), no probs here.
    Ed
    Ed, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Vormulac

    Ben Pope Guest

    Vormulac wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have just installed a Coolermaster Aero blower as a cpu fan, and the
    > first thing my A7N8X-Deluxe on power up is complain about the cpu fan
    > failing (it's running just fine).
    >
    > Sure enough, in BIOS cpu fan is reading as 0 rpm, but Asus Probe 2.20.07
    > says it running at 1844 rpm.

    1800RPM is the borderline where the BIOS monitoring can detect any motion at
    all.

    If you up the speed to 2000RPM you should see the reading.

    If you turn off POST reporter you should also be fine.

    Ben
    Ben Pope, Jul 14, 2004
  4. Vormulac

    Vormulac Guest

    > 1800RPM is the borderline where the BIOS monitoring can detect any
    > motion at all.
    >
    > If you up the speed to 2000RPM you should see the reading.
    >
    > If you turn off POST reporter you should also be fine.
    >
    > Ben

    Ah-ha! If I could turn it up I would, but sadly the blower supplied without
    the heat sink is likewise supplied without the speed controller. Never
    mind, I can live with it.

    Thanks for your help chaps.
    Vormulac, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Vormulac

    Teemu Guest

    I had same problem but after updating bios to 1006 ( I know there is newer
    version, but if it is not broken....do not fix it ) it all went away. I use
    1500 rpm fans for both cpu and case fan and both are detected by the bios
    and no wrong alerts with post reporter activated.

    I have the v2.0 board

    Teemu
    Teemu, Jul 14, 2004
  6. I have the same fan, dont worry about it! its fine as long as its running!
    Good fan too, dont put your fingers in it 'cause it hurts a lot!!!!!

    Rick

    Rick & Darlene, Jul 15, 2004
  7. Vormulac

    Vormulac Guest

    I'll certainly bear that in mind! Come to think of it, it does look rather
    like satan's pencil sharpener...

    My board is V2.0, perhaps I should look at undating from BIOS 1005.

    Thank you all.
    Vormulac, Jul 15, 2004
  8. Vormulac

    Ben Pope Guest

    Vormulac wrote:
    > I'll certainly bear that in mind! Come to think of it, it does look rather
    > like satan's pencil sharpener...
    >
    > My board is V2.0, perhaps I should look at undating from BIOS 1005.

    In my experience, 1005 is the lowest I could possibly recommend, or the
    latest if using onboard SATA controller.

    Ben
    Ben Pope, Jul 15, 2004
  9. Vormulac

    Vormulac Guest

    > In my experience, 1005 is the lowest I could possibly recommend, or
    > the latest if using onboard SATA controller.
    >
    > Ben

    That's interesting that you should say that, I was planning on getting a WD
    Raptor next month. Are there SATA problems with the later BIOS releases?
    Vormulac, Jul 16, 2004
  10. Vormulac

    Ben Pope Guest

    Vormulac wrote:
    >> In my experience, 1005 is the lowest I could possibly recommend, or
    >> the latest if using onboard SATA controller.
    >>
    >> Ben

    > That's interesting that you should say that, I was planning on getting a
    > WD Raptor next month. Are there SATA problems with the later BIOS
    > releases?

    Lowest, not latest. I should have said "earliest".

    If using the onboard SATA controller, I recommend the latest BIOS on the
    A7N8X Deluxe, that should do it.

    I'm using a Raptor and the Uber 1007 (no functional difference to normal
    1007, just some more options enabled). No problems.

    I'm using the .47 drivers. Don't recall if I tried a newer version or not.

    Ben
    Ben Pope, Jul 17, 2004