Copy TV shows into DVD with closed captions

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Alex in CA, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Alex in CA

    Alex in CA Guest

    Hello everyone,
    I need help!
    I would like to record TV shows then print them on DVD so I can watch
    them later on my DVD player. For me, it's important to keep the
    closed captioning (cc) that is broadcasted with the shows. I tried
    couple of ways. While I was successful in getting the shows into the
    DVD, I didn't managed to get the cc to work. Here is what I did:

    1. Tried to record the shows using Microsoft Media Edition (2004) on
    my Vaio – Z series. When I play the show on the computer using the
    media-center, I can get cc. However, after copying the shows into
    DVD, I lost the cc. I tried the copying (i.e. conversion from DVR-ms
    to JPIG2) using "Click to DVD", "WinDVD Creator 2", and "Nero." No
    success. I get the shows minus cc. I tried to play with the settings
    on all three, but I couldn't find any cc options that could help me.
    2. I then moved to plan "B". WinDVD comes with the ability to
    capture and record directly from TV into a DVD disk. This saves tons
    of time, however it has a limitation. Unlike MS Media Center, with
    WinDVD direct recording I can't program in advance what I want to
    record. Rather, I have to be in front on the computer at the time of
    show, thus defeating the purpose of recording the shows in the first
    place. But in addition, this also did not record any cc.

    So, I need help. Am I doing something worong, or is it just not
    doable at this time? I don't mind trying new programs or tweaking the
    settings on the existing programs.

    I apperciat your help.

    Alex
    Alex in CA, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Alex in CA

    josh Guest

    > Hello everyone,
    > I need help!
    > I would like to record TV shows then print them on DVD so I can watch
    > them later on my DVD player. For me, it's important to keep the
    > closed captioning (cc) that is broadcasted with the shows. I tried
    > couple of ways. While I was successful in getting the shows into the
    > DVD, I didn't managed to get the cc to work. Here is what I did:

    Well I would think that with capturing and encoding the lines of res, might
    be different or something? CC works on a certain line, and maybe if it got
    off a little the tv wouldn't read it. Hopefully someone hear knows something
    about it, but past posts about cc didn't seem to be answered well. I would
    like to know if DVD's even encorporate cc the same way as a broadcast
    signal, I would think they may not.
    josh, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Alex in CA

    J.Clarke Guest

    On 22 Dec 2003 05:18:09 -0800
    (Alex in CA) wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    > I need help!
    > I would like to record TV shows then print them on DVD so I can watch
    > them later on my DVD player. For me, it's important to keep the
    > closed captioning (cc) that is broadcasted with the shows. I tried
    > couple of ways. While I was successful in getting the shows into the
    > DVD, I didn't managed to get the cc to work. Here is what I did:
    >
    > 1. Tried to record the shows using Microsoft Media Edition (2004) on
    > my Vaio _ Z series. When I play the show on the computer using the
    > media-center, I can get cc. However, after copying the shows into
    > DVD, I lost the cc. I tried the copying (i.e. conversion from DVR-ms
    > to JPIG2) using "Click to DVD", "WinDVD Creator 2", and "Nero." No
    > success. I get the shows minus cc. I tried to play with the settings
    > on all three, but I couldn't find any cc options that could help me.
    > 2. I then moved to plan "B". WinDVD comes with the ability to
    > capture and record directly from TV into a DVD disk. This saves tons
    > of time, however it has a limitation. Unlike MS Media Center, with
    > WinDVD direct recording I can't program in advance what I want to
    > record. Rather, I have to be in front on the computer at the time of
    > show, thus defeating the purpose of recording the shows in the first
    > place. But in addition, this also did not record any cc.
    >
    > So, I need help. Am I doing something worong, or is it just not
    > doable at this time? I don't mind trying new programs or tweaking the
    > settings on the existing programs.
    >
    > I apperciat your help.

    While it doesn't tell you how to go about putting captions on DVDs,
    <http://www.robson.org/capfaq/overview.html> gives a good general
    rundown.

    The basic problem you're encountering is that DVDs don't store captions
    the same way that broadcast video does and DVD, so you have to extract
    the captions from the video stream then put them in the correct format
    for your DVD authoring package and feed them back into the DVD.

    So you need a capture program that will extract time-stamped captions
    and you need an authoring program that lets you put them on the DVD.
    What you have may do this, or you may have to buy some new
    software--this could get expensive quickly.

    > Alex

    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J.Clarke, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Alex,

    If it is an MS-DVR file, then the CC should be included if the program had
    CC enabled. Sonic's MyDVD, I believe, will read the caption file.

    --
    Andy Vanosdale
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition

    Andy Vanosdale [MCE MVP], Dec 22, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    Alex in CA <> wrote:
    :Hello everyone,
    :I need help!
    :I would like to record TV shows then print them on DVD so I can watch
    :them later on my DVD player. For me, it's important to keep the
    :closed captioning (cc) that is broadcasted with the shows. I tried
    :couple of ways. While I was successful in getting the shows into the
    :DVD, I didn't managed to get the cc to work. Here is what I did:

    Captioning (subtitles) on DVDs normally doesn't use the CC mechanism.
    The data for closed captioning is transmitted in line 21 of the video
    field. If your recording setup perserves line 21 *and* your DVD player
    reproduces line 21 in its output, then you'll be able to see the
    captions by enabling CC on your TV set. I have no idea what your
    recording setup does, but I have seen some DVD players that simply do
    not reproduce line 21 in their video output. If you've got one of
    those, you'll never see the CC on your TV screen.

    --
    Bob Nichols AT interaccess.com I am "rnichols"
    Robert Nichols, Dec 23, 2003