Copying really quicky

Discussion in 'HP' started by Merciadri Luca, Oct 18, 2009.

    1. Advertising

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Merciadri Luca wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > When I have to copy lots of notes which cannot be put in the ADF
    > (Automatic Document Feeder), I do it manually. However, let's say that
    > you copy (manually, and thus without the ADF) one page of a given
    > document. Once the light of the scanning light is at the end of its
    > course,
    > * It goes back as slowly as it was going when it was scanning, but it
    > is not scanning anymore. Why is it so slow if it does not scan
    > anything? I used to have a ScanJet 6xxx... and it was really fast!
    > * I open the lid, place the other page, then immediately push the
    > "Copy" button. However, nothing happens: it appears to be necessary to
    > wait for the last scanned page to be totally printed (okay, it does
    > not take a lot of time, but if you scan 100 pages like this, you lose
    > 1 sec * 100 pg. = 1'40'', and that is too much for me). I can actually
    > see when it has been printed, for two reasons:
    > 1. the page is (obviously) out of the printer;
    > 2. the green LED does not twinkle anymore.
    >
    > Can somebody tell me if these issues can be solved?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > - --
    > Merciadri Luca
    > See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/

    Which scanner are you using now? Which version of scanning software?

    HP's scanning software has gotten worse and worse over the years. I
    have a SCSI Scanjet 8250 that needs a 200MB install file. All that crap
    to scan, copy and print documents and photos. And it fails to work
    sometimes. Today, I wanted to scan a piece of newsprint and the damned
    thing kept asking me to install software that was already installed,
    then it would scan without a complaint. HP has fallen victim to the
    same
    let's-make-it-really-complicated-to-show-everyone-how-incredibly-clever-we-are
    syndrome that afflicts Micro$oft.

    The HP install also inserts a program into startup supposedly to see if
    there are any updates. There never are, but a client's all-in-one gets
    nagging messages to order ink cartridges, when the carts are still half
    full. The "update" is a way to call home to receive yet more sales pitches.

    Maybe you want to use the ScanJet 6200 again?

    I am close to investigating 3rd party scanning software, and paying what
    is necessary for the reliability... Ben Myers

    1. Advertising

    Hi Ben,

    Ben Myers <> writes:

    > Merciadri Luca wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> When I have to copy lots of notes which cannot be put in the ADF
    >> (Automatic Document Feeder), I do it manually. However, let's say that
    >> you copy (manually, and thus without the ADF) one page of a given
    >> document. Once the light of the scanning light is at the end of its
    >> course, * It goes back as slowly as it was going when it was
    >> scanning, but it
    >> is not scanning anymore. Why is it so slow if it does not scan
    >> anything? I used to have a ScanJet 6xxx... and it was really fast!
    >> * I open the lid, place the other page, then immediately push the
    >> "Copy" button. However, nothing happens: it appears to be necessary to
    >> wait for the last scanned page to be totally printed (okay, it does
    >> not take a lot of time, but if you scan 100 pages like this, you lose
    >> 1 sec * 100 pg. = 1'40'', and that is too much for me). I can actually
    >> see when it has been printed, for two reasons:
    >> 1. the page is (obviously) out of the printer;
    >> 2. the green LED does not twinkle anymore.
    >>
    >> Can somebody tell me if these issues can be solved?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> - --
    >> Merciadri Luca
    >> See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/

    > Which scanner are you using now? Which version of scanning
    > software?

    Sorry, I thought I had mentioned it, but actually no. I use the Hp
    OfficeJet L7500 Pro. It is an officejet and is thus a device which
    supports printing, scanning, and faxing. My problem is not related to
    any software at all: what I am speaking about is related to my
    OfficeJet: I am able to copy documents without any link with a
    computer. Thus, anything I said in my first message is about copying
    from the OfficeJet to the OfficeJet; there is no gateway, or anything
    else. What happens is thus *only* related to my device, and not to any
    of my computers.

    > HP's scanning software has gotten worse and worse over the years. I
    > have a SCSI Scanjet 8250 that needs a 200MB install file. All that
    > crap to scan, copy and print documents and photos. And it fails to
    > work sometimes. Today, I wanted to scan a piece of newsprint and the
    > damned thing kept asking me to install software that was already
    > installed, then it would scan without a complaint. HP has fallen
    > victim to the same
    > let's-make-it-really-complicated-to-show-everyone-how-incredibly-clever-we-are
    > syndrome that afflicts Micro$oft.
    >
    > The HP install also inserts a program into startup supposedly to see
    > if there are any updates. There never are, but a client's all-in-one
    > gets nagging messages to order ink cartridges, when the carts are
    > still half full. The "update" is a way to call home to receive yet
    > more sales pitches.

    I agree so much with you. If I had to tell you all the problems I had
    with my HP scanners... I think that HP provides good devices, but the
    softwares are always so ... miserable.
    My first HP scanner was something like the HP ScanJet 6*** (and was at
    a price ~500€ if you speak in Euros; it is actually not that
    cheap!). I had an electric problem with the lamp, and it *really*
    ignited (I was on its side, and I solved the problem before any other
    bad thing happened). It was partially due to the shop, which had given
    me a AC/DC radio cable, at the place of the one which was optimized
    for my scanner.

    I then bought a HP ScanJet 5***. With the 6***, the HP Precision
    ScanPro software was really exciting. It was practical, easy to use,
    and without any frills like image albums, etc.

    But, with this 5***, I had to install a lot of unuseful software, and
    my documents were more difficult to scan and to save on my computer,
    because the software was built for a family-use (you see, no practical
    menus, only beautiful colors, lot of really unuseful stuff which makes
    the software more and more difficult to cope with, and also to load,
    assuming you keep calm when using it). I then tried to use my mere HP
    Precision ScanPro software, but it did not recognize my scanner. (It
    was not done for this, but I was really sad to learn that I would have
    to stay with the family software.)

    But my problems disappeared after only two years: the scanner decided
    not to work anymore. There was a little screen in front of it to
    indicate what it was doing, and this screen was, on 90% of the time,
    twinkling, with strange characters (you see, when you look at it and
    you think `Erm, what did I do? What the heck is that due to?'). These
    problems became more and more common, and it became completely
    disfonctioning. It never worked correctly anymore: even if, when
    plugging AC, it was sometimes working, when scanning, the screen
    became the same, and the light was twinkling like mad.

    As I have to have reliable devices, I decided to buy this OfficeJet,
    which has still no problem (thanks God!).

    > Maybe you want to use the ScanJet 6200 again?

    See before, it is completely dead.

    > I am close to investigating 3rd party scanning software, and paying
    > what is necessary for the reliability...

    With Linux-based OS'es, there is no problem with the unuseful
    shipped-with scanning softwares. Try it, you won't believe your eyes.

    - ---
    Any idea for my slow OfficeJet? Thanks.

    - --
    Merciadri Luca

  4. Warren Block

    Warren Block Guest

    Ben Myers <> wrote:

    > HP's scanning software has gotten worse and worse over the years. I
    > have a SCSI Scanjet 8250 that needs a 200MB install file.
    >
    > I am close to investigating 3rd party scanning software, and paying what
    > is necessary for the reliability... Ben Myers

    SANE seems to be available for Windows, and supports the 8250... but
    only via USB.

    http://www.sane-project.org/

  5. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Warren Block wrote:
    > Ben Myers <> wrote:
    >
    >> HP's scanning software has gotten worse and worse over the years. I
    >> have a SCSI Scanjet 8250 that needs a 200MB install file.
    >>
    >> I am close to investigating 3rd party scanning software, and paying what
    >> is necessary for the reliability... Ben Myers

    > SANE seems to be available for Windows, and supports the 8250... but
    > only via USB.
    >
    > http://www.sane-project.org/

    Thanks for the tip. I did not realize that SANE had made its way to the
    wonderful world of Windows. Definitely a more SANE way to scan than the
    HP clutter.

    I'm willing to take a risk and install the SANE software with my SCSI
    8250. I think that the list contains the devices with which SANE has
    been tested. SCSI is SCSI is SCSI, and if SANE works OK with older HP
    SCSI scanners, it oughta be OK with the 8250. That's the theory. Will
    report back after some practical experience... Ben Myers

  6. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Warren Block wrote:
    >> Ben Myers <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> HP's scanning software has gotten worse and worse over the years. I
    >>> have a SCSI Scanjet 8250 that needs a 200MB install file.
    >>>
    >>> I am close to investigating 3rd party scanning software, and paying
    >>> what is necessary for the reliability... Ben Myers

    >> SANE seems to be available for Windows, and supports the 8250... but
    >> only via USB.
    >>
    >> http://www.sane-project.org/
    >>

    > Thanks for the tip. I did not realize that SANE had made its way to the
    > wonderful world of Windows. Definitely a more SANE way to scan than the
    > HP clutter.
    >
    > I'm willing to take a risk and install the SANE software with my SCSI
    > 8250. I think that the list contains the devices with which SANE has
    > been tested. SCSI is SCSI is SCSI, and if SANE works OK with older HP
    > SCSI scanners, it oughta be OK with the 8250. That's the theory. Will
    > report back after some practical experience... Ben Myers

    Nope. A Windows PC needs a Linux SANE server to run. I'm not going to
    dedicate a computer to scanning here. Not that much scanning going on.

    .... Ben Myers

  7. Warren Block

    Warren Block Guest

    Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Warren Block wrote:

    >>> SANE seems to be available for Windows, and supports the 8250... but
    >>> only via USB.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.sane-project.org/

    >> Thanks for the tip. I did not realize that SANE had made its way to the
    >> wonderful world of Windows. Definitely a more SANE way to scan than the
    >> HP clutter.
    >>
    >> I'm willing to take a risk and install the SANE software with my SCSI
    >> 8250. I think that the list contains the devices with which SANE has
    >> been tested. SCSI is SCSI is SCSI, and if SANE works OK with older HP
    >> SCSI scanners, it oughta be OK with the 8250. That's the theory. Will
    >> report back after some practical experience... Ben Myers

    > Nope. A Windows PC needs a Linux SANE server to run. I'm not going to
    > dedicate a computer to scanning here. Not that much scanning going on.

    Sorry about that, I did not investigate it far enough. Turns out there
    are SANE Windows frontends but not backends at present.

    There is a "HP Scanjet Basic Feature Driver" on the HP site that is 2.5M
    instead of the 217M "I can't believe it's not just a scanner driver"
    version.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...iesId=214599&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228

    Warren Block <> writes:

    > Ben Myers <> wrote:
    >> Ben Myers wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the tip. I did not realize that SANE had made its way to the
    >>> wonderful world of Windows. Definitely a more SANE way to scan than the
    >>> HP clutter.
    >>>
    >>> I'm willing to take a risk and install the SANE software with my SCSI
    >>> 8250. I think that the list contains the devices with which SANE has
    >>> been tested. SCSI is SCSI is SCSI, and if SANE works OK with older HP
    >>> SCSI scanners, it oughta be OK with the 8250. That's the theory. Will
    >>> report back after some practical experience... Ben Myers

    >> Nope. A Windows PC needs a Linux SANE server to run. I'm not going to
    >> dedicate a computer to scanning here. Not that much scanning going on.

    > Sorry about that, I did not investigate it far enough. Turns out there
    > are SANE Windows frontends but not backends at present.
    >
    > There is a "HP Scanjet Basic Feature Driver" on the HP site that is 2.5M
    > instead of the 217M "I can't believe it's not just a scanner driver"
    > version.
    >
    > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...iesId=214599&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    Thanks for all your answers, but it does not answer to my main question!

    - --
    Merciadri Luca