  1. Vista911

    Vista911 Guest

    What is the best way to overclock this machine?
    Vista911, Jan 24, 2008

  2. Vista911

    Kris Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:57:39 GMT, Vista911 wrote:

    > What is the best way to overclock this machine?

    What's mobo, memory, and power of psu?
    --
    Kris
    --------
    Kris, Jan 24, 2008

  3. Vista911

    SteveSch Guest

    SteveSch, Jan 24, 2008
  4. Vista911

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Vista911' wrote:
    | What is the best way to overclock this machine?
    _____

    Please remember to post ALL the relevant information in the body of your
    message; don't everyone to see orphans in the subject line. Also the answer
    to the question you ask depends on what other components are used.

    There are many posts in this newsgroup about overclocking a E4300. The
    E4400 is identical, except for having a multiplier that is X 10 rather than
    X 9 ( 800 MHz FSB/4 X 10 = 2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB/4 X 9 = 1.8 GHz.)

    I have an E4300 running nicely at a 50% overclock (2.7 GHz, FSB of 1200 MHz)
    and a CPU core voltage set below specification (1.275 v). While I can get a
    higher overclock (up to ~ 3.2 GHz), it is a struggle, and requires what I
    consider an excessively high CPU core voltage (and an unusually low room
    temperature.) I use an EVGA 680i motherboard and Patriot DDR2-1066 memory @
    1200 MHz. I use an after market heatsink/fan (Thermaltake i7), but the
    Intel stock, boxed, retail heatsink fan was adequate for 2.7 GHz.

    Below is a step-by-step procedure for overclocking Intel CPUs I posted
    sometimes ago. Some minor details are different for the Core 2 Duo series
    and the motherboards for Core 2 Duo.
    ____________________________________

    Posted Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:04 PM
    alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
    Re: Is overclocking 'worth it'

    All Pentium CPUs can be overclocked; some do better than others.

    If the motherboard is 'overclocking friendly',
    an Intel CPU is very easy to overclock. If the motherboard is NOT
    'overclocking friendly' the task is much more difficult. If your
    motherboard is 'overclocking friendly' the manual likely gives all the
    information necessary to overclock, though the manual may have been
    transplanted back and forth among several languages, and the information may
    be a bit confusing.

    #1. Raising the CPU voltage can destroy your CPU. NEVER raise the CPU
    voltage more than 15%, and if you do raise it, do it in very small steps.

    #2. Raising the CPU clock speed will NOT damage your Intel CPU,
    motherboard, memory, or anything else. If you raise the clock speed too
    much, the system will either to run in a stable manner, or will fail to
    boot. This is not a problem because either the BIOS will automatically
    reset to default values or there will be directions in the manual on how to
    reset to default speeds.

    #3. In overclocking, make any changes in small steps, checking for proper
    operation after each change.

    #4. Overclocking works best when the CPU temperature is kept as low as
    possible.

    #5. Intel CPUs can ONLY be overclocked by raising the clock speed. Even if
    the multiplier can be set in the BIOS, changing this settings has NO effect.

    #6. Some older motherboards may report an incorrect speed for CPUs that
    have a higher speed than available when the BIOS was installed.

    #7. Intel CPUs have a quad-pumped memory bus; that means data is
    transferred
    four times for each clock cycle; for a 533 MHz FrontSide Bus speed the clock
    speed is 133 MHz. That 133 MHz clock speed is multiplied by a factor FIXED
    and UNCHANGABLE inside the CPU to give the overall CPU clock speed. For
    your 2660 MHz CPU, the multiplier is X 20 (133 MHz X 20 = 2660 MHZ.)

    #8. The rated speed of the installed memory can limit the overclock.
    Memory can be overclocked, but it will eventually reach a limit. Faster
    memory can be installed, but the cost may not be worth it. The memory clock
    can be set to a lower ratio (with some motherboards) to allow higher clock
    speeds, but there is a performance penalty.

    How you overclock depends on the specifics of your system, how much patience
    you have, and much attention you pay to details.

    A general approach:

    * Download and install MotherBoard Monitor 5 (free) at
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ . This will allow you to monitor and
    record the CPU speeds, fan speeds, CPU temperature (and perhaps motherboard,
    memory, and other temperatures, and voltages.)

    * Download and install SiSoft Sandra (free) at
    http://www.sisoftware.net/ . This program is a collection of
    information gathering applets for your system. It also has low level tests
    of performance, as well as stress tests (necessary to establish proper
    operation when the CPU is operating at full capacity. I find version 2004
    more useful than 2005, but 2004 is hard to find now.

    * Use MotherBoard Monitor 4 and SiSoft Sandra because the vast majority of
    the people who use this forum also use these applications

    * Read the manual carefully.

    * Clean the heatsink fins, and fans of all dust, grease, and dirt.

    * Write down the settings in the BIOS.

    * Write down the temperature and voltage information from SiSoft Sandra.

    * Check the voltages reported by MotherBoard Monitor 5 for you system. If
    any are outside the specifications this may affect the operation of your
    system, especially if it is overclocked. Also check the total rated output
    of your power supply, if it is marginal, overclocking (since more power is
    required) may also be marginal.

    * Steps for overclocking your Intel CPU (only after completing the above
    recommendations):

    #0. The standard setup for PCI bus and AGP bus speeds are fractions of
    the clock speed. Make sure the PCI/AGP Bus speeds are instead locked at 33
    MHz/67 MHz; if the PCI bus speed is more than 36 MHz corruption of data on
    your hard drives can occur.

    #1. Increase the clock speed by 5%.

    #2. Reboot and check for operation.

    #3. If #2 is successful, repeat #1.

    #4. If #2 is not successful, raise the CPU core voltage by 0.05 volts
    (in NO case raise this voltage to more than a total of 15%, doing so may
    instantly destroy your CPU; when the core voltage reaches this limit go to
    #6.)

    #5. Go to #2.

    #6. You have reached the limit of overclocking without changing other
    factors which may include CPU cooling, System cooling, memory settings.
    Installing memory capable of higher clock speeds may help. On the other
    hand, some of these changes may be expensive, and not worth the money for
    the possible performance increase.

    * After reaching the highest speed, check operation under full CPU load (use
    SiSoft Sandra burn-in, other burn-in programs, or intense action 3D
    accelerated first-person shooter games.) If the system is not stable under
    heavy load, try reducing the clock speed and/or CPU core voltage (higher
    voltage means higher operating temperatures.)

    * Check the installation of the CPU heatsink; new heatsink compound may help
    CPU cooling.

    * A better than stock heatsink/fan may aid overclocking.

    * Improved system cooling may aid overclocking.

    * Exotic cooling of the CPU to room temperature or below can significantly
    increase top speeds (or not, depending on the individual CPU speed, memory
    quality, and motherboard.)

    WARNINGS!!!
    * Increasing the CPU voltage above 15% over specifications is likely to
    INSTANTLY destroy the CPU
    * There is always a chance that when you start fooling around inside the
    system case of your computer that you may cause damage (the butterfinger
    factor.)

    You can find a LOT of additional information on the Internet, including the
    speeds that others overclockers have reached with your model CPU. One
    question you must ask yourself is WHY you wish to overclock; I can think of
    three reasons:

    #1. Higher performance at little or no expense with your present
    system.

    #2. Just because you can, and enjoy experimenting

    #3. Bragging rights - the highest possible speeds (which is going to
    require a LOT more money.

    Don't let this long list intimidate you; just go along step by step.

    I am posting this on a system using
    aBit TH7-II (Intel 850 chipset) motherboard
    Pentium 4 2.6 GHz 400 MHz FSB Northwood CPU
    PC800 RDRAM 640 MBytes
    Stock CPU cooling
    450 Watt Antec Power Supply

    I selected a clock speed in the BIOS of 121 MHz, giving a CPU speed of 121
    MHz X 26 = 3146 MHz. The CPU will overclock to a higher speed, but the
    memory will not. To reach a higher CPU speed requires setting the memory
    clock/CPU clock ratio to other than 1, which reduces performance. Since I
    just want improved AND reliable performance and not the highest possible
    clock speed, 3146 suits me fine, though with async setting 3.5 GHz is easily
    reached.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jan 24, 2008