    Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)

    Cheers,
    Bob T.

    BT, Mar 5, 2006

  2. BT

    Phil Guest

    The only answer I can provide is the simple one: the Duo Core chips are
    better for applications that support the technology. As of this moment, I
    don't think there's a single game that would take advantage of dual core
    technology, for example.

    -phil

    Phil, Mar 5, 2006

  3. BT

    journey Guest

    On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 13:34:16 -0500, "BT" <> wrote:

    >Is the Duo processor the better of the two processors below, even though it is
    >less clock speed (GHz)? This is getting verrry confusing.
    >
    >Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2300 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
    >Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Bob T.

    You're right, it is confusing. I think it depends on what you want to
    do with your computer.

    Another question is whether the Core Solo is the same as the
    Pentium-M. I thought so, but someone here said that they are
    different. I think I've noticed Core Solo's with a 667Mhz FSB. So,
    you may have another one to consider.

    What will you be using your computer for? Is it a desktop replacement
    that you will be using all the time, or is it a supplement to a
    desktop system used for word processing? Would it be important to you
    that the computer be able to play music MP3's while a virus checker is
    running in the background?

    How important is battery life for you? (not that the Core Duo's use
    more, I don't know).

    I recently went with the E1505, which is seen as the replacement for
    the 6000. It has integrated graphics which is fine for me and might
    result in better battery life.

    I am also considering a 640m or the XPS 140 when it comes out with a
    Core Duo (hopefully the XPS 140 will be an Inspiron 1405 which would
    qualify it for the deep discount Inspiron coupons). Depending on
    timing, and the initial reviews that come out once CNET and others get
    their hands on a 1505, I may cancel that and go with the 14" model.

    Right now the 630m and XPS 140 have promotions, but I don't want the
    Dell DJ Ditty or the DVD burner -- I'd rather have a primary battery
    upgrade or 1G RAM.

    Obviously I didn't answer your question, but if you post more about
    what you will be using your computer for others might be better able
    to help you.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 5, 2006
  4. BT

    journey Guest

    On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 15:08:32 -0500, "Phil" <>
    wrote:

    >The only answer I can provide is the simple one: the Duo Core chips are
    >better for applications that support the technology. As of this moment, I
    >don't think there's a single game that would take advantage of dual core
    >technology, for example.
    >
    >-phil

    Hi Phil,

    Do applications have to be written specifically to take advantage of
    Core Duo chips?

    If a game has several threads of execution, might a Core Duo take
    advantage of that?

    I don't know, just wondering.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 5, 2006
  5. BT

    Phil Guest

    Here's a good explanation:

    "A dual-core processor has many advantages especially for those looking to
    boost their system's multitasking computing power. Dual-core processors
    provide two complete execution cores instead of one, each with an
    independent interface to the frontside bus. Since each core has its own
    cache, the operating system has sufficient resources to handle intensive
    tasks in parallel, which provides a noticeable improvement to multitasking."

    "Complete optimization for the dual-core processor requires both the
    operating system and applications running on the computer to support a
    technology called thread-level parallelism, or TLP. Thread-level parallelism
    is the part of the OS or application that runs multiple threads
    simultaneously, where threads refer to the part of a program that can
    execute independently of other parts."

    "Even without a multithread-enabled application, you will still see benefits
    of dual-core processors if you are running an OS that supports TLP. For
    example, if you have Microsoft Windows XP (which supports multithreading),
    you could have your Internet browser open along with a virus scanner running
    in the background, while using Windows Media Player to stream your favorite
    radio station and the dual-core processor will handle the multiple threads
    of these programs running simultaneously with an increase in performance and
    efficiency."

    "Today Windows XP and hundreds of applications already support multithread
    technology, especially applications that are used for editing and creating
    music files, videos and graphics because types of programs need to perform
    operations in parallel. As dual-core technology becomes more common in homes
    and the workplace, you can expect to see more applications support
    thread-level parallelism."

    -phil

    Phil, Mar 6, 2006
  6. BT

    journey Guest

    On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 23:11:19 -0500, "Phil" <>
    wrote:

    >Here's a good explanation:

    Hi Phil,

    Thanks for the good explanation. I didn't realize that apps could be
    coded using TLP to make better use of the dual core processor. I
    would imagine that coding to TLP standards will provide similar
    benefits for AMD's dual cores? (not that I will ever buy one but
    competition is good).

    Journey

    journey, Mar 6, 2006
  7. BT

    User N Guest

    "journey" <> wrote in message news:...

    > I would imagine that coding to TLP standards will provide similar
    > benefits for AMD's dual cores?

    Yes, and it doesn't just apply to multi-core processors, it also applies
    to multi-processor systems.

    User N, Mar 7, 2006