    XP Pro btw. I thought it should work and all I'd have to do is update the
    drivers as that would need to be done anyway. Can anyone suggest what the
    problem might be?

    J, Oct 1, 2011

  2. J

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:wiHhq.469$2,
    J wrote:
    > I am trying to install a known good copy (image) of my hard drive to
    > my Dell 5100. The backup was made on a Packard Bell machine and I've
    > installed it to that machine a few times in the past. I use True
    > Image to do the job, but for some reason when I copy the partition to
    > the Dell's drive then reboot, I get a message saying I have a corrupt
    > installation. Original backup was made using an IDE drive, and the
    > Dell has a SATA drive. The installation has Win XP Pro btw. I thought
    > it should work and all I'd have to do is update the drivers as that
    > would need to be done anyway. Can anyone suggest what the problem
    > might be?

    You need generic drivers to make that work. There are two ways I know to
    do this:

    1) Paragon's Adaptive Restore

    2) Acronis True Image Restore to Dissimilar Hardware

    A third choice is just to install the OS from scratch.

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Oct 1, 2011

  3. J

    Brian K Guest

    J, you have an image of the Packard Bell OS and you can successfully restore
    this to the Packard Bell computer. So the image is OK. But when you restore
    this image to the HD in your Dell you have problems. When do you see the
    error message? Immediately after the POST? Do you see a 7B BSOD and a
    restart? Do you know the CHS geometry of the Packard Bell? Does it have 240
    Heads?

    How are the partitions arranged on the Packard Bell HD? (from Disk
    Management).

    Brian K, Oct 2, 2011
  4. J

    J Guest

    "Brian K" <> wrote in message
    > J, you have an image of the Packard Bell OS and you can successfully
    > restore this to the Packard Bell computer. So the image is OK. But when
    > you restore this image to the HD in your Dell you have problems. When do
    > you see the error message? Immediately after the POST? Do you see a 7B
    > BSOD and a restart? Do you know the CHS geometry of the Packard Bell? Does
    > it have 240 Heads?
    >
    > How are the partitions arranged on the Packard Bell HD? (from Disk
    > Management).

    Well, 'that' made me laugh! Does all that have any real bearing on the
    nature of the problem? If it does, than I'm shafted! :) Dairy-farmer
    here...'part-time computer and internet user! :)
    All I know is the hard drive is an 80GB Western Digital IDE/ATA....'(which
    means absolutley bugger-all to me btw!).
    Everything works fine if I restore the image to the Packard Bell drive, but
    NOT to the Dell.
    The software "says it's completed the task", but when I reboot the Dell, all
    I get is a blue screen and a freeze.
    I can't really imagine doing a clean install as I have tons of software for
    my business and I have no idea where it came from originally as it's been
    there for so long. I 'could' just upgrade the old Packard Bell, but it seems
    pointless when I can buy a Dell for so little outlay, as I indeed did!

    J, Oct 2, 2011
  5. J

    Brian K Guest

    "J" <> wrote in message

    > Does all that have any real bearing on the nature of the problem? If it
    > does, than I'm shafted! :)

    It does have bearing and you are not necessarily shafted.

    > The software "says it's completed the task", but when I reboot the Dell,
    > all I get is a blue screen and a freeze.

    That's what you should get because you don't have AHCI drivers installed in
    the restored OS. Remember you are restoring an IDE image to a SATA HD. You
    can get this to work by installing AHCI drivers to the HD in the Dell and
    when WinXP has loaded it will say "Found new Hardware" and install drivers.
    You will probably have to install a few Dell drivers too (from the Dell
    Support site).

    Try this....

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/howto-drvins-tbosdt-dos.htm

    Let us know if you need help from a non Dairy-farmer. (? Norco)

    Brian K, Oct 2, 2011
  6. J

    J Guest

    "Brian K" <> wrote in message

    > "J" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Does all that have any real bearing on the nature of the problem? If it
    >> does, than I'm shafted! :)

    > It does have bearing and you are not necessarily shafted.
    >

    >> The software "says it's completed the task", but when I reboot the Dell,
    >> all I get is a blue screen and a freeze.

    > That's what you should get because you don't have AHCI drivers installed
    > in the restored OS. Remember you are restoring an IDE image to a SATA HD.
    > You can get this to work by installing AHCI drivers to the HD in the Dell
    > and when WinXP has loaded it will say "Found new Hardware" and install
    > drivers. You will probably have to install a few Dell drivers too (from
    > the Dell Support site).
    >
    > Try this....
    >
    > http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/howto-drvins-tbosdt-dos.htm
    >
    > Let us know if you need help from a non Dairy-farmer. (? Norco)

    I gave up on this one, but now returning to it...'reluctantly! :(

    How do I go about installing divers when the system won't boot to windows?
    The installed image will not work remember. I understand I need to download
    drivers...'got a link anyone?

    J, Nov 18, 2011
  7. J

    Brian K Guest

    > How do I go about installing divers when the system won't boot to windows?
    > The installed image will not work remember.

    I posted a link that tells you how to install drivers to a non booting OS.

    Brian K, Nov 18, 2011
  8. On 10/2/2011 1:05 PM, J wrote:
    > "Brian K"<> wrote in message
    >> J, you have an image of the Packard Bell OS and you can successfully
    >> restore this to the Packard Bell computer. So the image is OK. But when
    >> you restore this image to the HD in your Dell you have problems. When do
    >> you see the error message? Immediately after the POST? Do you see a 7B
    >> BSOD and a restart? Do you know the CHS geometry of the Packard Bell? Does
    >> it have 240 Heads?
    >>
    >> How are the partitions arranged on the Packard Bell HD? (from Disk
    >> Management).

    > Well, 'that' made me laugh! Does all that have any real bearing on the
    > nature of the problem? If it does, than I'm shafted! :) Dairy-farmer
    > here...'part-time computer and internet user! :)
    > All I know is the hard drive is an 80GB Western Digital IDE/ATA....'(which
    > means absolutley bugger-all to me btw!).
    > Everything works fine if I restore the image to the Packard Bell drive, but
    > NOT to the Dell.
    > The software "says it's completed the task", but when I reboot the Dell, all
    > I get is a blue screen and a freeze.
    > I can't really imagine doing a clean install as I have tons of software for
    > my business and I have no idea where it came from originally as it's been
    > there for so long. I 'could' just upgrade the old Packard Bell, but it seems
    > pointless when I can buy a Dell for so little outlay, as I indeed did!

    it is little surprise that and installation of windows for one machine
    does not work on another. after windows is installed a series of
    drivers that allow it to communicate to all the hardware in a given
    system are also installed. upon successive reboots windows expects to
    find those installed components to be present in the system. clearly
    whatever model packard bell you have and whatever model dell you have
    are very different machines. you could try running what is called a
    'repair re-installation' of windows on image you put on the dell if it
    was worth it to you to spend the time and possibly get it to work and
    then not have to reinstalled the other software loaded on that image,
    but it might prove to be unsuccessful.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 18, 2011
  9. J

    J Guest

    "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    > On 10/2/2011 1:05 PM, J wrote:
    >> "Brian K"<> wrote in message
    >>> J, you have an image of the Packard Bell OS and you can successfully
    >>> restore this to the Packard Bell computer. So the image is OK. But when
    >>> you restore this image to the HD in your Dell you have problems. When do
    >>> you see the error message? Immediately after the POST? Do you see a 7B
    >>> BSOD and a restart? Do you know the CHS geometry of the Packard Bell?
    >>> Does
    >>> it have 240 Heads?
    >>>
    >>> How are the partitions arranged on the Packard Bell HD? (from Disk
    >>> Management).

    >> Well, 'that' made me laugh! Does all that have any real bearing on the
    >> nature of the problem? If it does, than I'm shafted! :) Dairy-farmer
    >> here...'part-time computer and internet user! :)
    >> All I know is the hard drive is an 80GB Western Digital
    >> IDE/ATA....'(which
    >> means absolutley bugger-all to me btw!).
    >> Everything works fine if I restore the image to the Packard Bell drive,
    >> but
    >> NOT to the Dell.
    >> The software "says it's completed the task", but when I reboot the Dell,
    >> all
    >> I get is a blue screen and a freeze.
    >> I can't really imagine doing a clean install as I have tons of software
    >> for
    >> my business and I have no idea where it came from originally as it's been
    >> there for so long. I 'could' just upgrade the old Packard Bell, but it
    >> seems
    >> pointless when I can buy a Dell for so little outlay, as I indeed did!

    > it is little surprise that and installation of windows for one machine
    > does not work on another. after windows is installed a series of drivers
    > that allow it to communicate to all the hardware in a given system are
    > also installed. upon successive reboots windows expects to find those
    > installed components to be present in the system. clearly whatever model
    > packard bell you have and whatever model dell you have are very different
    > machines. you could try running what is called a 'repair re-installation'
    > of windows on image you put on the dell if it was worth it to you to spend
    > the time and possibly get it to work and then not have to reinstalled the
    > other software loaded on that image, but it might prove to be
    > unsuccessful.

    Thanks, I had planned on just booting up the Dell afer I had installed the
    image to it's drive, then re-installing the drivers for the new system, but
    the blue screen was as far as I got and it would not boot to a windows
    environment ro anything even close.
    Would be nice if these things just worked! :)

    J, Nov 18, 2011
  10. J

    J Guest

    "Brian K" <> wrote in message

    >> How do I go about installing divers when the system won't boot to
    >> windows?
    >> The installed image will not work remember.

    > I posted a link that tells you how to install drivers to a non booting OS.

    Way over 'my' head Brian. Thanks all the same.

    J, Nov 18, 2011
  11. J

    Brian K Guest

    > Way over 'my' head Brian. Thanks all the same.

    J,

    I'm sure you could cope. It's not that hard.

    The following video
    (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/videos/ifl/osdtool-sample.wmv) describes
    how to do it in a "hold your hand" way but you need to purchase IFL. The
    earlier method is a free method.

    The video is 7 MB in size but only the final third is of relevance to you.

    Brian K, Nov 19, 2011