CPU fan at 100% on cool cpu despite faneq

Discussion in 'Abit' started by R. Schreurs, Mar 25, 2007.

  1. R. Schreurs

    R. Schreurs Guest

    Hi all,

    Yesterday, I assembled a new Pc, consisting of, amongst other parts,
    of:
    Abit AB9 Pro main board
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    CoolerMaster X-Dream P775 (replacing the cooler that came with the
    CPU)
    I would like the main board to control the cpu fan's speed by FanEQ.
    CPU FanEQ is configured as follows:
    Temperature low: 45°C; high: 75°C.
    Voltage low: 30%; high: 100%
    The fan continously runs at about 2340 rpm, which must be the speed
    gained at voltage supply. At least, hardware specifications mention
    2200 rpm as maximum speed. The CPU's temperature reading is only about
    25°C to 28°C.
    I reconfigured the voltage percentages to other values, but the fan's
    speed remains the same. Since speed readings are reported, I assume
    the fan is connected correctly to the CPUFAN1 socket. At least, the
    cable consist of three wires.

    Any suggestions on this?
     
    R. Schreurs, Mar 25, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. R. Schreurs

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:28:36 -0700, R. Schreurs wrote:

    > I reconfigured the voltage percentages to other values, but the fan's
    > speed remains the same. Since speed readings are reported, I assume
    > the fan is connected correctly to the CPUFAN1 socket. At least, the
    > cable consist of three wires.
    >
    > Any suggestions on this?


    Some MB's have 4 wire fan connectors and using a 3 wire fan disables
    speed control. There's usually a note about this in the manual. Perhaps
    thats the case with yours. Just a wag.

    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
     
    Wes Newell, Mar 25, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. R. Schreurs

    cmfaria Guest

    Dear Sir:
    Good luck with your build. I am a few steps behind you.

    Is the Abit AB9 Pro worth buying (seems to have buggy bios from
    general forums)
    and want do you intend to do with dual gigabit ethernet connections?

    Thank you
     
    cmfaria, Mar 27, 2007
    #3
  4. "R. Schreurs" wrote in message...
    >Yesterday, I assembled a new Pc, consisting of, amongst other
    > parts, of:
    >Abit AB9 Pro main board
    >Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    >CoolerMaster X-Dream P775


    > I would like the main board to control the cpu fan's speed by FanEQ.


    > The fan continously runs at about 2340 rpm, which must be the
    > speed I reconfigured the voltage percentages to other values, but the
    > fan's speed remains the same. Since speed readings are reported, I
    > assume the fan is connected correctly to the CPUFAN1 socket.
    > At least, the cable consist of three wires.
    >
    > Any suggestions on this?


    Yes. The reason the fan speed regulation doesn't work is because you have a
    three wire fan. You need a four-wire, PWM capable fan in order for speed
    control to work on the CPU fan header on this and similar boards.

    You might be able to work around this problem on your current hardware by
    connecting the CPU fan to one of the other headers, and then using the FanEQ
    settings to make this header throttle according to CPU temperature.

    You will then need to disable the fan speed monitoring and shutdown
    functions on the CPU fan header, otherwise your computer will shut down due
    to the CPU fan port registering zero RPM.



    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)

    The UK's leading BT-owned technology reseller www.dabs.com
     
    Richard Hopkins, Mar 27, 2007
    #4
  5. R. Schreurs

    R. Schreurs Guest

    Thanks for your replies.
    Only now, I noticed that the main board has a 4 pin connector.
    I removed the Cooler Master fan and put the Intel fan in the came with
    the CPU. What a relief! The CPU is currently running on 30% voltage
    and only 1200 RPM.
    I selected the CoolerMaster X-Dream P775 because of reported low noice
    and the fact that it has larger fan blades. That is all very well, but
    if it keeps running on maximum speed, no matter how cool the CPU, than
    it is not a silent option.

    On 27 mrt, 16:58, "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote:
    > "R.Schreurs" wrote in message...
    > >Yesterday, I assembled a new Pc, consisting of, amongst other
    > > parts, of:
    > >Abit AB9 Pro main board
    > >Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    > >CoolerMaster X-Dream P775
    > > I would like the main board to control the cpu fan's speed by FanEQ.
    > > The fan continously runs at about 2340 rpm, which must be the
    > > speed I reconfigured the voltage percentages to other values, but the
    > > fan's speed remains the same. Since speed readings are reported, I
    > > assume the fan is connected correctly to the CPUFAN1 socket.
    > > At least, the cable consist of three wires.

    >
    > > Any suggestions on this?

    >
    > Yes. The reason the fan speed regulation doesn't work is because you have a
    > three wire fan. You need a four-wire, PWM capable fan in order for speed
    > control to work on the CPU fan header on this and similar boards.
    >
    > You might be able to work around this problem on your current hardware by
    > connecting the CPU fan to one of the other headers, and then using the FanEQ
    > settings to make this header throttle according to CPU temperature.
    >
    > You will then need to disable the fan speed monitoring and shutdown
    > functions on the CPU fan header, otherwise your computer will shut down due
    > to the CPU fan port registering zero RPM.
    >
    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading BT-owned technology resellerwww.dabs.com
     
    R. Schreurs, Mar 27, 2007
    #5
  6. R. Schreurs wrote:
    > Thanks for your replies.
    > Only now, I noticed that the main board has a 4 pin connector.
    > I removed the Cooler Master fan and put the Intel fan in the came with
    > the CPU. What a relief! The CPU is currently running on 30% voltage
    > and only 1200 RPM.
    > I selected the CoolerMaster X-Dream P775 because of reported low noice
    > and the fact that it has larger fan blades. That is all very well, but
    > if it keeps running on maximum speed, no matter how cool the CPU, than
    > it is not a silent option.


    Have you tried using Speedfan to PWM the voltage directly? Or does anyone
    know if the fan is disabled in hardware due to the 3-pin and Speedfan won't
    work?

    --
    Phil
     
    Phil, Non-Squid, Apr 10, 2007
    #6
  7. "Phil, Non-Squid" wrote in message...
    > Have you tried using Speedfan to PWM the voltage directly? Or does
    > anyone know if the fan is disabled in hardware due to the 3-pin and
    > Speedfan won't work?


    It's not that the fan control is "disabled in hardware", it's that the
    hardware necessary to do this simply isn't present on the motherboard.

    The whole point of the four pin fan system is that it moves the PWM
    switching transistor and associated components from the motherboard to the
    fan itself. This allows the fan designer to tailor the switching circuit
    design, pulse frequency and so-on to the specific fan model, rather than
    rely on a generic "one size doesn't quite fit all" solution on the
    motherboard.

    Because of this transition, four pin headers, unless specifically designed
    with a selectable option to control four *and* three wire fans, simply don't
    have any voltage regulation hardware of their own. All they do is send the
    full twelve volts up the power pin at all times, along with the low level
    speed control signal up the fourth wire.
    --


    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)

    The UK's leading BT-owned technology reseller www.dabs.com
     
    Richard Hopkins, Apr 11, 2007
    #7
  8. Richard Hopkins wrote:
    > "Phil, Non-Squid" wrote in message...
    >> Have you tried using Speedfan to PWM the voltage directly? Or does
    >> anyone know if the fan is disabled in hardware due to the 3-pin and
    >> Speedfan won't work?

    >
    > It's not that the fan control is "disabled in hardware", it's that the
    > hardware necessary to do this simply isn't present on the motherboard.
    >
    > The whole point of the four pin fan system is that it moves the PWM
    > switching transistor and associated components from the motherboard
    > to the fan itself. This allows the fan designer to tailor the
    > switching circuit design, pulse frequency and so-on to the specific
    > fan model, rather than rely on a generic "one size doesn't quite fit
    > all" solution on the motherboard.
    >
    > Because of this transition, four pin headers, unless specifically
    > designed with a selectable option to control four *and* three wire
    > fans, simply don't have any voltage regulation hardware of their own.
    > All they do is send the full twelve volts up the power pin at all
    > times, along with the low level speed control signal up the fourth
    > wire.


    So you're saying that 3-pin headers like on my NF7-S are designed to be run
    with software progs for control, whereas the newer 4-pin headers mean you're
    effed if you have a 3-pin fan? There's no way to control the fan speed in
    that case?

    I may have to invest in a fan controller at that point... I have a new build
    coming up.

    --
    Phil
     
    Phil, Non-Squid, Apr 11, 2007
    #8
  9. "Phil, Non-Squid" wrote in message...
    > So you're saying that 3-pin headers like on my NF7-S are designed to
    > be run with software progs for control,


    No I didn't say anything about "software progs", didn't mention the control
    method at all.

    What I said was that throttle-able three pin fan headers must, by
    definition, have a switching transistor and smoothing circuit modulating the
    supply to their +12v pin. Whether that switching transistor is controlled
    via software (like SpeedFan) or hardware (like uGuru) is irrelevant.

    By contrast, four pin headers don't need to have that switching transistor
    on the motherboard, because it's in the fan. That's the point.

    > whereas the newer 4-pin headers mean you're effed if you have a 3-pin
    > fan?
    > There's no way to control the fan speed in that case?


    Of course there is, you buy a shiny new four pin fan to match your new
    board! Haven't you heard about the economics of upgrading? ;)

    If you don't want to do that, yes, there are still alternatives. Most of the
    current uGuru boards will allow you to throttle *any* of the onboard fan
    headers according to CPU temperature, so if you have a three pin fan, just
    plug it into one of the three pin AUX headers, and set that header to
    respond to the CPU. Simple.

    Beyond that, as mentioned earlier, it is theoretically possible to build a
    motherboard such that it can control three *and* four pin fans on a four pin
    header, with a BIOS or jumper selectable switch. Whether any boards actually
    do this, on the other hand, you'll have to ask elsewhere. Hell, it's even
    possible to make your own external PWM controller that will turn a three pin
    fan into a four pin one if you want. I made one for mine - five components,
    cost less than a pound, works like a charm.
    --


    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)

    The UK's leading BT-owned technology reseller www.dabs.com
     
    Richard Hopkins, Apr 11, 2007
    #9
  10. R. Schreurs

    R. Schreurs Guest

    Thanks for your replies.

    Yesterday, I connected the 3 pin fan to AUXFAN1 and configured it in
    the BIOS:
    Temperature low: 35°C; high: 75°C.
    Voltage low: 8V; high: 12V.
    The voltage is regulated by the CPU temperature reading.
    8V is the lowest voltage value possible. This works, but the fan will
    run about 1850 RPM on that voltage, which makes it more noisy than the
    intel one. I'll just stick with the fan that came with the CPU and try
    to return the CoolerMaster as it is no improvement in my case.

    On 11 apr, 06:56, "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote:
    > "Phil, Non-Squid" wrote in message...
    > > So you're saying that 3-pin headers like on my NF7-S are designed to
    > > be run with software progs for control,

    >
    > No I didn't say anything about "software progs", didn't mention the control
    > method at all.
    >
    > What I said was that throttle-able three pin fan headers must, by
    > definition, have a switching transistor and smoothing circuit modulating the
    > supply to their +12v pin. Whether that switching transistor is controlled
    > via software (like SpeedFan) or hardware (like uGuru) is irrelevant.
    >
    > By contrast, four pin headers don't need to have that switching transistor
    > on the motherboard, because it's in the fan. That's the point.
    >
    > > whereas the newer 4-pin headers mean you're effed if you have a 3-pin
    > > fan?
    > > There's no way to control the fan speed in that case?

    >
    > Of course there is, you buy a shiny new four pin fan to match your new
    > board! Haven't you heard about the economics of upgrading? ;)
    >
    > If you don't want to do that, yes, there are still alternatives. Most of the
    > current uGuru boards will allow you to throttle *any* of the onboard fan
    > headers according to CPU temperature, so if you have a three pin fan, just
    > plug it into one of the three pin AUX headers, and set that header to
    > respond to the CPU. Simple.
    >
    > Beyond that, as mentioned earlier, it is theoretically possible to build a
    > motherboard such that it can control three *and* four pin fans on a four pin
    > header, with a BIOS or jumper selectable switch. Whether any boards actually
    > do this, on the other hand, you'll have to ask elsewhere. Hell, it's even
    > possible to make your own external PWM controller that will turn a three pin
    > fan into a four pin one if you want. I made one for mine - five components,
    > cost less than a pound, works like a charm.
    > --
    >
    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading BT-owned technology resellerwww.dabs.com
     
    R. Schreurs, Apr 12, 2007
    #10
  11. R. Schreurs

    czajunia

    Joined:
    May 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Wow, sounds cool. Could you possibly place a schematic diagram or explain how you made it? I know that's easier and probably not much more expensive to buy a 4-pin fan but that's not what this all is about, is it? Besides it really sounds interesting and would love to give it a go. Thank's a lot!!!

    --
    czajunia
     
    czajunia, May 18, 2007
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. CareBear

    IC7-G CPU FanEQ Speed Control

    CareBear, Aug 2, 2003, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    383
    CareBear
    Aug 2, 2003
  2. videotron

    Abit AN7 FanEQ

    videotron, Apr 27, 2004, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    581
    Trigger_Happy
    Oct 12, 2004
  3. Bassett
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    509
    Bassett
    Feb 2, 2005
  4. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    156
    gutts
    Apr 12, 2005
  5. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    302
    John Navas
    Aug 20, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page