    for 20 minutes. maybe this is a secondary fan, although my computer is
    showing a temperature of 31 - 32 degrees centigrade, so it's not
    overheating. Please can anyone tell me what is possibly happening? thank you

    yes, Jul 25, 2005

  2. yes

    CJT Guest

    yes wrote:
    > Approximately every 20 minutes a sound comes from my CPU which sounds like a
    > fan spinning, this lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes then it's silence again
    > for 20 minutes. maybe this is a secondary fan, although my computer is
    > showing a temperature of 31 - 32 degrees centigrade, so it's not
    > overheating. Please can anyone tell me what is possibly happening? thank you

    probably the power supply fan

    CJT, Jul 25, 2005

  3. yes

    yes Guest

    "CJT" <> wrote in message
    > yes wrote:
    >> Approximately every 20 minutes a sound comes from my CPU which sounds
    >> like a fan spinning, this lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes then it's
    >> silence again for 20 minutes. maybe this is a secondary fan, although my
    >> computer is showing a temperature of 31 - 32 degrees centigrade, so it's
    >> not overheating. Please can anyone tell me what is possibly happening?
    >> thank you

    > probably the power supply fan

    and is that OK to do that every 20 mins?

    yes, Jul 25, 2005
  4. yes

    CJT Guest

    yes wrote:
    > "CJT" <> wrote in message
    >> yes wrote:
    >>> Approximately every 20 minutes a sound comes from my CPU which sounds
    >>> like a fan spinning, this lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes then it's
    >>> silence again for 20 minutes. maybe this is a secondary fan, although my
    >>> computer is showing a temperature of 31 - 32 degrees centigrade, so it's
    >>> not overheating. Please can anyone tell me what is possibly happening?
    >>> thank you

    >> probably the power supply fan
    >>

    > and is that OK to do that every 20 mins?

    sure

    CJT, Jul 25, 2005
  5. yes

    yes Guest

    "CJT" <> wrote in message
    > yes wrote:
    >> "CJT" <> wrote in message
    >>> probably the power supply fan
    >>>

    >> and is that OK to do that every 20 mins?
    >>

    > sure

    i bought it 8 months ago but it only started doing that a couple of days
    ago - do you know why it has just started to do that? thanks

    yes, Jul 25, 2005
  6. yes

    CJT Guest

    yes wrote:
    > "CJT" <> wrote in message
    >> yes wrote:
    >>> "CJT" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> and is that OK to do that every 20 mins?
    >>>

    >> sure
    >>

    > i bought it 8 months ago but it only started doing that a couple of days
    > ago - do you know why it has just started to do that? thanks

    several possibilities come to mind

    dust accumulation
    different workload
    higher ambient temperature in the summer months
    change in line voltage due to summer air conditioning loads
    or even (though you don't mention one) a change in configuration

    CJT, Jul 25, 2005
  7. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:06:20 GMT, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,
    "yes" <> wrote:

    >Approximately every 20 minutes a sound comes from my CPU which sounds like a
    >fan spinning, this lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes then it's silence again
    >for 20 minutes. maybe this is a secondary fan, although my computer is
    >showing a temperature of 31 - 32 degrees centigrade, so it's not
    >overheating. Please can anyone tell me what is possibly happening? thank you

    Probably a fan with bad bearings. I'd guess a fan with sleeve
    bearings. I prefer ball bearings just because of this...

    If possible, remove it and install a new fan. Lubrication is only a
    short term solution.

    --
    May all spammers die in horrible pains!
    Wanna e-mail me? Well, peter_e is correct, but the rest is obviously bogus...

    Peter Emanuelsson, Jul 26, 2005