    Might somebody know if I can reuse the CPU heatsink and fan from Dell
    Dimension 4550 on another ATX MoBo?

    Thanks!
    Mals, Jul 17, 2004

  2. Not on a standard board with a standard retention bracket, no - the heatsink
    is nonstandard.

    Edward J. Neth, Jul 17, 2004

  3. Mals

    Mals Guest

    Would you be able to advise what heatsink and fan I should buy then?

    I was hoping that the heatsink is standard with 2.53 GHz P4.

    Mals, Jul 17, 2004
  4. Mals

    Mals Guest

    Should have also asked with the earlier question:

    Is the CPU fan also unlikely to be usable in say, an Antec BQE case?
    Mals, Jul 17, 2004
  5. You're probably referring to the fan mounted on the case, which is a case
    fan, not a CPU fan.
    The heatsink itself is what's proprietary to Dell.

    Edward J. Neth, Jul 17, 2004
  6. Mals

    Mals Guest

    Well there is a heatsink (aluminium sort of device) and then there is a fan
    mounted on top of the heat sink.
    May be the fan is a case fan, but it seems like a fan seated on top of the
    heatsink and I am not sure if it is a case fan.

    Let me ask this way -- is there a separate CPU fan and case fan?
    If not perhaps I am referring to the case fan.

    Thanks!

    Mals, Jul 17, 2004
  7. There are separate heatsink-fan and case fans on some models, yes.

    The heatsink is nonstandard, as mentioned before - it won't fit a standard
    retention mechanism.
    Your best bet is to replace the heatsink-fan with a standard model for an
    aftermarket board.

    Edward J. Neth, Jul 17, 2004
  8. Mals

    Ben Myers Guest

    To rephrase what was stated in other responses: The CPU heat sink/fan is
    matched with the retention mechanism on the motherboard. Dell's heat sink/fan
    and retention mechanism differ from the standard one promulgated by Intel.

    If you wanted to make yourself a lot of hard work, you could gently(!) remove
    the retention mechanism from the 4550 motherboard and POSSIBLY use it along with
    the Dell CPU heat sink/fan on another motherboard. I say "POSSIBLY" because
    many motherboards (including some of Dell's) are manufactured with tiny
    clearances between on-board components (e.g. capacitors) and the CPU area.

    Frankly, it is a time-consuming and daunting and maybe impossible job to attempt
    to use standard heat sink/fan and retention mechanism on a Dell or IBM
    motherboard, or vice versa... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 17, 2004
  9. Mals

    Mals Guest

    Thank you for the detailed information.

    It looks like then that I have to increase my budget further :(.
    Not only a MoBo and case, but also heat sink and fan. Cool.

    Would you have any advice as to what heatsink and fan I could go for?

    I am planning to get this Mobo --
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-148&depa=1

    Thanks.

    Mals, Jul 17, 2004
  10. That's a case, not a mainboard. Your choice of heatsink is dictated by
    processor, speed, and budget.
    The low-end heatsinks ($10-15) use cheap fans and are often noisy. The
    higher-end ones ($20+) are usually quieter, if that's a consideration.

    If you are rebuilding a Dell system on a new board, you should know that
    your copy of Windows will not install without activation - which Microsoft
    may deny. It is tied to the Dell BIOS, and if Microsoft denies activation,
    you'll need to budget for a retail copy of XP.

    Edward J. Neth, Jul 17, 2004
  11. Mals

    Mals Guest

    This is the MoBo I am considering. Sorry about the wrong link.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-151&depa=1

    After a recent thunderstorm and my Dell m/c stopped working.
    Since I do not know which components have gone bad I am planning on getting
    a case and a MoBo.
    The Windows Xp issue I had not thought of. Thanks for alerting me.

    I am planning on using my existing CPU. It is a 2.53 GHz P4, provided it is
    working.

    Mals, Jul 17, 2004
  12. Mals

    Ben Myers Guest

    Check your homeowner's insurance policy to find out whether or not electrical
    damage to home appliances is insured... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 18, 2004
  13. Mals

    Ben Myers Guest

    As a point of information, the Dell restore CD appears to be a normal copy of
    Wondows XP (for the Dimension 2400 anyway), but the COA on the side of the Dell
    case is definitely already tied to a Dell system. If you use the COA from the
    Dell case, Microsoft may get very fussy about activiating it with a new
    motherboard. My guess is that you would have to call Micro$oft's product
    activation phone number, then plead and whine with the
    non-native-English-speaking person on the phone to get the copy of XP
    reactivated. And you ARE telling them the exact truth about what happened, that
    you had to replace a blown Dell mobo and that you could not get a replacement
    with a Dell BIOS, so they should honor the second activation.

    Or... you get lucky and the on-line activation works just fine. You never know.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:51:47 -0400, "Edward J. Neth" <> wrote:

    >That's a case, not a mainboard. Your choice of heatsink is dictated by
    >processor, speed, and budget.
    >The low-end heatsinks ($10-15) use cheap fans and are often noisy. The
    >higher-end ones ($20+) are usually quieter, if that's a consideration.
    >
    >If you are rebuilding a Dell system on a new board, you should know that
    >your copy of Windows will not install without activation - which Microsoft
    >may deny. It is tied to the Dell BIOS, and if Microsoft denies activation,
    >you'll need to budget for a retail copy of XP.

    <SNIP>
    Ben Myers, Jul 18, 2004
  14. Mals

    Mals Guest

    Thanks! I will simply try to use it and reactivate if it asks me to.
    Let us see how it goes.

    Meanwhile, might you be able to suggest what heatsink (as in which brand and
    specific model if you have experience with it) I should opt for?

    Also, the Dell 4550 appears to have a fan right on top of the heatsink.
    Mals, Jul 18, 2004
  15. Mals

    Ben Myers Guest

    Heat sinks and fans normally are integrated together. You need to buy a heat
    sink/fan combo that matches the replacement motherboard you are using. It might
    make sense to buy both mobo and heat sink/fan from the same seller.

    Thermaltake heat sink/fans are excellent and expensive. The run-of-the-mill
    Intel branded heat sink/fans are inexpensive and a bit noisy. As long as they
    don't get too clogged up with dust, they usually last a pretty long time. I see
    a lot of "CPU Cooler" brand fans in name-brand systems I service, and they
    appear to be OK for something on the inexpensive side. As for other brands, I
    don't have tons of experience.

    If you want to part with the remains of the Dell chassis when you are through
    gutting it, let me know. If the shipping isn't too severe from where you are,
    it might make sense for me to buy it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 18, 2004
  16. Mals

    Mals Guest

    Thank you for the information. It is very helpful given my knowledge of
    assembling a PC.

    i will certainly write to you once I am done trying to figure this out.
    Thank you again.

    Mals, Jul 18, 2004
  17. Mals

    Matt Guest

    Mals wrote:

    > Also, the Dell 4550 appears to have a fan right on top of the heatsink.

    ^^^^^^^

    If you can't decide whether it does or doesn't ... !
    Matt, Jul 18, 2004
  18. Mals

    Clint Guest

    Actually, every time I've had to phone the MS product activation number
    (about 4 times in the last year, due to system upgrades), I've never had a
    "non-native-English-speaking person". Communication has never been an
    issue, nor has getting the product activated even when activating twice in
    less than a month. It's a pain in the butt to have to give them all the
    numbers once to the automated system, and again to a real person, but the
    process is relatively painless. I have no idea if they'll give the OP a
    hard time since the product was tied to a Dell box, however.

    Clint

    Clint, Jul 19, 2004
  19. Mals

    WSZsr Guest

    It will not be a problem. Just tell them you upgraded the system by
    installing a new motherboard.

    WSZsr, Jul 19, 2004
  20. Mals

    Mals Guest

    That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

    I will try it out. And perhaps post an update there for others to know.

    Thanks you all!

    \
    Mals, Jul 19, 2004