cpu HSF

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by David Bushnell, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. thanks to those that replied to my earlier post.

    i have come to the conclusion that a new HSF is in order. the trouble is,
    that after 2 hours of trawling the internet, i am no closer to deciding what
    would be best. not surprisingly i am searching for the holy grail. quiet,
    but effective, and preferably not as big as the case itself. at the moment,
    the only one that seems to come up to my expectation is the zalman
    cnps7000A-Cu. My only issue with this is its size, and its weight.

    so if anyone has a suggestion, that doesn't involve water, of something else
    to look at i'd be much obliged.

    also, how about case fan brands? will the noise generated by these vary from
    maker to maker, or is it really a case of them all being the same.

    thanks folks.
    Bushy

    1. Advertising

  2. rstlne

    rstlne Guest

    "David Bushnell" <ex(underscore)> wrote in message
    > thanks to those that replied to my earlier post.
    >
    > i have come to the conclusion that a new HSF is in order. the trouble is,
    > that after 2 hours of trawling the internet, i am no closer to deciding

    what
    > would be best. not surprisingly i am searching for the holy grail. quiet,
    > but effective, and preferably not as big as the case itself. at the

    moment,
    > the only one that seems to come up to my expectation is the zalman
    > cnps7000A-Cu. My only issue with this is its size, and its weight.
    >
    > so if anyone has a suggestion, that doesn't involve water, of something

    else
    > to look at i'd be much obliged.
    >
    > also, how about case fan brands? will the noise generated by these vary

    from
    > maker to maker, or is it really a case of them all being the same.
    >
    > thanks folks.
    > Bushy

    AeroCool HT 101
    http://www.aerocool.com.tw/aerocool-files-v3/cooler/ht101.htm

    Heavy tho..
    I have the DP 102 and from what I read the HT is better.. so I would say its
    def a good choice.. Buy a GOOD QUALITY LOW NOISE fan to go with it, and run
    it @ 7v instead of 12v

    1. Advertising

  3. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:01:17 +0000, David Bushnell wrote:

    > i have come to the conclusion that a new HSF is in order. the trouble is,
    > that after 2 hours of trawling the internet, i am no closer to deciding what
    > would be best. not surprisingly i am searching for the holy grail. quiet,
    > but effective, and preferably not as big as the case itself. at the moment,
    > the only one that seems to come up to my expectation is the zalman
    > cnps7000A-Cu. My only issue with this is its size, and its weight.
    >
    > so if anyone has a suggestion, that doesn't involve water, of something else
    > to look at i'd be much obliged.

    For the first time in my life I bought a retail boxed A64, and the cooler
    that comes with it is pretty good, considering it very quiet. Will work
    fine in normal conditions. I replaced the 70x15mm fan a couple of days ago
    for the heck of it with a 70x25mm. Ran P95 torture test and it never got
    over 49C, with about 26-27C ambient, case 30C. I've got a TR2-M6 that
    probably works sbout the same. It's quiet too. But if you want extreme
    cooling, theres many better than the Zalman, and cheaper. I went through
    about 4 HSF roundup reviews just last night.

    http://www.amdboard.com/coolers_roundup.html

  4. thanks for the replies. i'm sure you'll all agree that making a HSF
    selection is no easy task.

    it just occured to me that i didn't mention my system, xp2500@2.2ghz, 512mb
    pc3200, on an a7n8x-dlx 2.0. At the moment i am running with the stock HSF
    for the xp2500.

    if you've got any specific suggestions that would be tops also.

    thanks
    Bushy

  5. "rstlne" <> wrote in message

    > "David Bushnell" <ex(underscore)> wrote in message
    > >

    > > thanks for the replies. i'm sure you'll all agree that making a HSF
    > > selection is no easy task.
    > >
    > > it just occured to me that i didn't mention my system, xp2500@2.2ghz,

    > 512mb
    > > pc3200, on an a7n8x-dlx 2.0. At the moment i am running with the stock

    HSF
    > > for the xp2500.
    > >
    > > if you've got any specific suggestions that would be tops also.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > Bushy

    > I forgot to say
    > my 2500 is @ 2.2 (200x11) with the DP-102..
    > temps onboard are 24 board, 48 cpu (on chip) and 43 cpu (on board)

    i take it that is under full load? how many case fans do you have? that
    HT101 looks pretty cool, anybody got general coments on these heat pipe
    jobbies?

  6. rstlne

  7. "rstlne" <> wrote in message

    > "rstlne" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > i take it that is under full load? how many case fans do you have?

    that
    > > > HT101 looks pretty cool, anybody got general coments on these heat

    pipe
    > > > jobbies?
    > > >

    > > I'll load up prime95 now and run it till it gets at a stable high :), so
    > > 5-10 mins probably
    > > 1 case (was 3 but I said to hell with 2 of them)
    > >

    > Since the unit I have is so reliant on the heatpipe, I seem to get some
    > really odd results.. I think that large temp spikes tend to make the temp

    of
    > the cpu move by up to 2-3..
    > to temp ramps up, fluid speed increases, cools down faster, temp ramps

    down,
    > fluids slow then the temp ramps up again (You see the pattern)..
    >
    > So with prime95 the temp is now showing 25 (board) 54 (cpu diode) 46

    (socket
    > diode)
    > so .. It's showing a 6c rise from normal operation to full load (You might
    > not be so lucky, but you might be more lucky too :p)

    yeah, see thats the deal. i like the idea of the diode temp maxing out at
    under 50C. for some reason that 5 scares the hell out of me. (it might be
    because i am a poverty stricken student). I was looking for a big ass
    cooling solution that would be quiet and even when seti@home had run for
    days on end, it would hardly crack 50C.

    i see thermalright do some nice copper stuff, and coolermaster.....its all
    too damned confusing. i guess its back to the internet and more googling!

  8. Doug

    Doug Guest

    I've been running a Coolermaster aero 7 lite for a few months now and it's
    really kept my temps down. The 4 case fans help but l really noticed a drop
    in temps when l changed to the aero 7 lite. Best thing is l can dial down
    the speed at night when it cooler with a dial that sits in the 3.5" slot.
    Most of the Thermaltakes and C/m have this functions so keep that in mind.
    Also, have a look at the Vantec aeroflow 2. Can't dial down the speed but
    it's still a very good fan.

    Doug
    NF7-S v2 Bios 24
    Barton 2500+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Corsair Twinx 2x256 PC3200

    > thanks to those that replied to my earlier post.
    >
    > i have come to the conclusion that a new HSF is in order. the trouble is,
    > that after 2 hours of trawling the internet, i am no closer to deciding

    what
    > would be best. not surprisingly i am searching for the holy grail. quiet,
    > but effective, and preferably not as big as the case itself. at the

    moment,
    > the only one that seems to come up to my expectation is the zalman
    > cnps7000A-Cu. My only issue with this is its size, and its weight.
    >
    > so if anyone has a suggestion, that doesn't involve water, of something

    else
    > to look at i'd be much obliged.
    >
    > also, how about case fan brands? will the noise generated by these vary

    from
    > maker to maker, or is it really a case of them all being the same.
    >
    > thanks folks.
    > Bushy

  9. rstlne

    rstlne Guest

    > i take it that is under full load? how many case fans do you have? that
    > HT101 looks pretty cool, anybody got general coments on these heat pipe
    > jobbies?

    I'll load up prime95 now and run it till it gets at a stable high :), so
    5-10 mins probably
    1 case (was 3 but I said to hell with 2 of them)

  10. rstlne

    rstlne Guest

    "rstlne" <> wrote in message

    > > i take it that is under full load? how many case fans do you have? that
    > > HT101 looks pretty cool, anybody got general coments on these heat pipe
    > > jobbies?
    > >

    > I'll load up prime95 now and run it till it gets at a stable high :), so
    > 5-10 mins probably
    > 1 case (was 3 but I said to hell with 2 of them)

    Since the unit I have is so reliant on the heatpipe, I seem to get some
    really odd results.. I think that large temp spikes tend to make the temp of
    the cpu move by up to 2-3..
    to temp ramps up, fluid speed increases, cools down faster, temp ramps down,
    fluids slow then the temp ramps up again (You see the pattern)..

    So with prime95 the temp is now showing 25 (board) 54 (cpu diode) 46 (socket
    diode)
    so .. It's showing a 6c rise from normal operation to full load (You might
    not be so lucky, but you might be more lucky too :p)

  11. rstlne

    rstlne Guest

    > yeah, see thats the deal. i like the idea of the diode temp maxing out at
    > under 50C. for some reason that 5 scares the hell out of me. (it might be
    > because i am a poverty stricken student). I was looking for a big ass
    > cooling solution that would be quiet and even when seti@home had run for
    > days on end, it would hardly crack 50C.
    >
    > i see thermalright do some nice copper stuff, and coolermaster.....its all
    > too damned confusing. i guess its back to the internet and more googling!

    My first "Quiet" solution ran verry hot..
    In fact the cpu was in the 80's and I didnt realise it till I got MBM5 and
    trashed ASUSProbe.

    I think if your under 60 then your good, if your under 50 then that's pretty
    good but I would bet It's not quiet..
    If your 60 - 70 then it's still not going to kill the processor (shorten
    lifespan no doubt)..
    If your 70 - 80 then I guess it might be okay (I never got errors)
    If your above 80 then It's def really really bad heh
    If your above 90 then you must be using a prescott ;)

  12. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:48:18 +0000, David Bushnell wrote:

    > it just occured to me that i didn't mention my system, xp2500@2.2ghz, 512mb
    > pc3200, on an a7n8x-dlx 2.0. At the moment i am running with the stock HSF
    > for the xp2500.
    >
    > if you've got any specific suggestions that would be tops also.

    Want good, quiet, and cheap? TR2-M1, about $10. Want expensive, maybe not
    so quiet, but maybe the best, Thermalright with a highspeed fan, Maybe
    $50. In the end, either will work much better than the stock cooler.
    There's probably more than 100 coolers for the K7 line, and tons of
    comparisons online. These 2 I consider the best (or close to it) at both
    ends of the price ranges.