CPU LED/FF post code

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Iain, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. Iain

    Iain Guest

    Building a new system from scratch.

    Athlon 64 3000+ and heatsink/fan
    2x512 PC3200 RAM
    Gainward 6600 PCI-e Graphics

    connected that lot to an Epox 9NPA+Ultra mobo.

    All fans working. Board has 3 LED for CPU/DIMM/Chipset, CPU LED is off other
    two on.

    Immediately get FF post code on power up. I've tried removing RAM and Video
    card and powering up with mobo out of case, all to no avail.

    I can only assume the CPU is dead but I haven't another one to test and no
    other board to test mine in.

    Any other ideas?

    1. Advertising

  2. I have a new build, same board, 3800X2, that always shows the FF after it
    boots. Works fine. Is FF Boot Failure? I'm not sure, since the only
    reference I can find in the manual is FFh... Boot Attempt. The board runs
    fine... except for the LAN which disappeared on me last night. Now I'm not
    so sure....;-)

    "Iain" <> wrote in message
    > Building a new system from scratch.
    >
    > Athlon 64 3000+ and heatsink/fan
    > 2x512 PC3200 RAM
    > Gainward 6600 PCI-e Graphics
    >
    > connected that lot to an Epox 9NPA+Ultra mobo.
    >
    > All fans working. Board has 3 LED for CPU/DIMM/Chipset, CPU LED is off
    > other two on.
    >
    > Immediately get FF post code on power up. I've tried removing RAM and
    > Video card and powering up with mobo out of case, all to no avail.
    >
    > I can only assume the CPU is dead but I haven't another one to test and no
    > other board to test mine in.
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    1. Advertising

  3. Iain

    Iain Guest

    "Dennis Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >I have a new build, same board, 3800X2, that always shows the FF after it
    >boots. Works fine. Is FF Boot Failure? I'm not sure, since the only
    >reference I can find in the manual is FFh... Boot Attempt. The board runs
    >fine... except for the LAN which disappeared on me last night. Now I'm not
    >so sure....;-)

    My system won't boot at all, and the CPU power LED is not on.

    I think the POST LED normally shows FF after it's run through the other
    codes. Mine goes straight there and no further.

  4. Graham W

    Graham W Guest

    Iain wrote:
    >> "Iain" <> wrote in message
    >>> Building a new system from scratch.
    >>>
    >>> Athlon 64 3000+ and heatsink/fan
    >>> 2x512 PC3200 RAM
    >>> Gainward 6600 PCI-e Graphics
    >>>
    >>> connected that lot to an Epox 9NPA+Ultra mobo.
    >>>
    >>> All fans working. Board has 3 LED for CPU/DIMM/Chipset, CPU LED is
    >>> off other two on.
    >>>
    >>> Immediately get FF post code on power up. I've tried removing RAM
    >>> and Video card and powering up with mobo out of case, all to no
    >>> avail.
    >>>
    >>> I can only assume the CPU is dead but I haven't another one to test
    >>> and no other board to test mine in.
    >>>
    >>> Any other ideas?
    >>>

    > "Dennis Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a new build, same board, 3800X2, that always shows the FF
    >> after it boots. Works fine. Is FF Boot Failure? I'm not sure, since
    >> the only reference I can find in the manual is FFh... Boot Attempt.
    >> The board runs fine... except for the LAN which disappeared on me
    >> last night. Now I'm not so sure....;-)
    >>

    > My system won't boot at all, and the CPU power LED is not on.
    >
    > I think the POST LED normally shows FF after it's run through the
    > other codes. Mine goes straight there and no further.

    Check that the 'Reset' button isn't stuck down or shorted. If there is
    a reset asserted, the 7-seg display may not be allowed to start counting
    and be artificially held at FF.

  5. Iain

    Iain Guest

    "Graham W" <> wrote in message

    > Iain wrote:
    >>> "Iain" <> wrote in message

    >> "Dennis Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a new build, same board, 3800X2, that always shows the FF
    >>> after it boots. Works fine. Is FF Boot Failure? I'm not sure, since
    >>> the only reference I can find in the manual is FFh... Boot Attempt.
    >>> The board runs fine... except for the LAN which disappeared on me
    >>> last night. Now I'm not so sure....;-)
    >>>

    >> My system won't boot at all, and the CPU power LED is not on.
    >>
    >> I think the POST LED normally shows FF after it's run through the
    >> other codes. Mine goes straight there and no further.

    > Check that the 'Reset' button isn't stuck down or shorted. If there is
    > a reset asserted, the 7-seg display may not be allowed to start counting
    > and be artificially held at FF.

    OK, I've already noticed that the reset button does nothing at all. When
    I've powered up and the fans are running, should the rest button cause the
    fans to stop and then start again, because it doesn't.

    I don't know whether this is relevant but I tested all the voltages on the
    ATX connectors last night and they all appear fine apart from on the gray
    PWROK wire which is at 0.7V. I hear this should be in the range of 3-5V and
    is designed to tell the system when there is sufficient power to the board.
    Anyone know if that could be a problem.

  6. Andy

    Andy Guest

    On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 19:37:22 +0100, "Iain" <>
    wrote:

    >OK, I've already noticed that the reset button does nothing at all. When
    >I've powered up and the fans are running, should the rest button cause the
    >fans to stop and then start again, because it doesn't.
    >
    >I don't know whether this is relevant but I tested all the voltages on the
    >ATX connectors last night and they all appear fine apart from on the gray
    >PWROK wire which is at 0.7V. I hear this should be in the range of 3-5V and
    >is designed to tell the system when there is sufficient power to the board.
    >Anyone know if that could be a problem.

    The PWROK line from the power supply is holding the motherboard in a
    reset state. Once the power supply voltages have stabilized, PWROK
    should be at least 2.0 volts.

  7. yocky

    yocky Guest

    It was the PSU.

    I would have tried a different one earlier but I didn't think the old
    one I've got had a 20/24 pin ATX and a 4 pin one but it does, it fired
    everything up straight off.

    It just goes to show (I think) what a lottery it is. I assumed that
    because the PSU seemed to be working generally that it was working
    completely. I was ready to send the CPU back and would have done if it
    wasn't for the CPU Ledion indicator on the Epox board combined with my
    voltage check.