CPU overheating (ASUS A7A266, AMD Athlon)... need new PSU?

Discussion in 'IBM' started by nespresso, Sep 3, 2008.

  1. nespresso

    nespresso Guest

    i have an Asus A7A266 Socket A MB (ALiMaGiK 1 chipset, 1.25 GB DDR RAM) with
    an AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz chip, running Windows XP. according to the motherboard
    monitor utility, even when XP is idle the CPU temperature is running between
    60 and 70 degrees C. this seems too hot, especially as the chip's max is
    supposed to be 90 degrees. recently on a couple of occasions while running
    an emulator the chip has overheated and the MB has sounded the overheating
    warning. i replaced the CPU heatsink and fan but it didnt improve the idle
    temperature. i've noticed that sometimes (intermittently) the PSU fan doesnt
    start spinning at all when powering on the PC.

    1) does it sound like the PSU is the cause of the problem in this case? or
    is there something else i should be checking first?

    2) what do i need to look for when searching for a compatible PSU? i know
    there are different wattages, voltages etc available but how do i find one
    that will work with my system?

    any help appreciated. thanks!

    --
    please reply to group

    nespresso, Sep 3, 2008

  2. nespresso

    CJT Guest

    nespresso wrote:

    > i have an Asus A7A266 Socket A MB (ALiMaGiK 1 chipset, 1.25 GB DDR RAM) with
    > an AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz chip, running Windows XP. according to the motherboard
    > monitor utility, even when XP is idle the CPU temperature is running between
    > 60 and 70 degrees C. this seems too hot, especially as the chip's max is
    > supposed to be 90 degrees. recently on a couple of occasions while running
    > an emulator the chip has overheated and the MB has sounded the overheating
    > warning. i replaced the CPU heatsink and fan but it didnt improve the idle
    > temperature. i've noticed that sometimes (intermittently) the PSU fan doesnt
    > start spinning at all when powering on the PC.
    >
    > 1) does it sound like the PSU is the cause of the problem in this case? or
    > is there something else i should be checking first?
    >
    > 2) what do i need to look for when searching for a compatible PSU? i know
    > there are different wattages, voltages etc available but how do i find one
    > that will work with my system?
    >
    > any help appreciated. thanks!
    >
    > --
    > please reply to group

    When you replaced the heatsink, what kind of compound did you use, and
    how did you apply it?

    CJT, Sep 4, 2008

  3. nespresso

    nespresso Guest

    "CJT" <> wrote in message
    > nespresso wrote:
    >
    >> i have an Asus A7A266 Socket A MB (ALiMaGiK 1 chipset, 1.25 GB DDR RAM)
    >> with an AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz chip, running Windows XP. according to the
    >> motherboard monitor utility, even when XP is idle the CPU temperature is
    >> running between 60 and 70 degrees C. this seems too hot, especially as
    >> the chip's max is supposed to be 90 degrees. recently on a couple of
    >> occasions while running an emulator the chip has overheated and the MB
    >> has sounded the overheating warning. i replaced the CPU heatsink and fan
    >> but it didnt improve the idle temperature. i've noticed that sometimes
    >> (intermittently) the PSU fan doesnt start spinning at all when powering
    >> on the PC.
    >>
    >> 1) does it sound like the PSU is the cause of the problem in this case?
    >> or is there something else i should be checking first?
    >>
    >> 2) what do i need to look for when searching for a compatible PSU? i know
    >> there are different wattages, voltages etc available but how do i find
    >> one that will work with my system?
    >>
    >> any help appreciated. thanks!
    >>

    > When you replaced the heatsink, what kind of compound did you use, and
    > how did you apply it?

    i used a blob of silver-based "akasa" thermal compound "hi-spec 450" on the
    surface. btw, the case temperature according the motherboard monitor is in
    the mid-30s. i've also been trying to download asus PC probe II to get a
    second opinion, but havent found a downloadable, working file yet (asus's
    website is horrible).

    nespresso, Sep 4, 2008
  4. nespresso

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc nespresso <> wrote:

    > "CJT" <> wrote in message
    >> nespresso wrote:
    >>
    >>> i have an Asus A7A266 Socket A MB (ALiMaGiK 1 chipset, 1.25 GB DDR RAM)
    >>> with an AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz chip, running Windows XP. according to the
    >>> motherboard monitor utility, even when XP is idle the CPU temperature is
    >>> running between 60 and 70 degrees C. this seems too hot, especially as
    >>> the chip's max is supposed to be 90 degrees. recently on a couple of
    >>> occasions while running an emulator the chip has overheated and the MB
    >>> has sounded the overheating warning. i replaced the CPU heatsink and fan
    >>> but it didnt improve the idle temperature. i've noticed that sometimes
    >>> (intermittently) the PSU fan doesnt start spinning at all when powering
    >>> on the PC.
    >>>
    >>> 1) does it sound like the PSU is the cause of the problem in this case?
    >>> or is there something else i should be checking first?
    >>>
    >>> 2) what do i need to look for when searching for a compatible PSU? i know
    >>> there are different wattages, voltages etc available but how do i find
    >>> one that will work with my system?
    >>>
    >>> any help appreciated. thanks!
    >>>

    >> When you replaced the heatsink, what kind of compound did you use, and
    >> how did you apply it?
    >>

    > i used a blob of silver-based "akasa" thermal compound "hi-spec 450" on the
    > surface.

    That may not bet the best, but should be more than enough.

    > btw, the case temperature according the motherboard monitor is in
    > the mid-30s.

    Sounds fine.

    > i've also been trying to download asus PC probe II to get a
    > second opinion, but havent found a downloadable, working file yet (asus's
    > website is horrible).

    You can also try Speedfan. Pretty good and also displays disk SMART
    status.

    There is also one more test: Look into the PC health screen
    in the BIOS. It some puts load on the CPU, at least that is what I
    have seen.

    One more question: Did you have this high temperature reading
    from the beginning or did it show up at ome time and before it
    was fine?

    Currently I tend to think that the sensor is bad or that
    its measuerment is transformed wrongly (these do not have a
    direct temperature output, but an analog one and that needs
    to be set for the correct sensor type).

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 4, 2008