CPU question

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by constantine, Sep 4, 2007.

  1. constantine

    constantine Guest

    Which would be the better CPU for sims such as FSX and LockOn -
    E6850 - INTEL CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR, 3.00GHZ, 4MB CACHE, 1333MHZ FSB, LGA775
    or
    Q6600 - INTEL CORE 2 QUAD PROCESSOR, 2.40GHZ, 8MB CACHE, 1066MHZ FSB, LGA775

    Both seem to be around the same price, and I guess both FSX and LockOn (and
    many other sims) will use only one core anyway? And finally is either CPU
    overclockable?

    1. Advertising

  2. Canuck

    Canuck Guest

    As for processors, I cannot help as I have lost the plot since pentium 3 -
    just cant keep up with all the differing numbers. FSX with the SP1 patch
    will utilise dual processors (and quads) however. I would not think that
    matters so much with Lock on as it is relatively old now and was released
    before duos and quads.

    --
    Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core at 2.40 Ghz
    ATi Radeon X1950 w/512Mb RAM
    "constantine" <> wrote in message
    > Which would be the better CPU for sims such as FSX and LockOn -
    > E6850 - INTEL CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR, 3.00GHZ, 4MB CACHE, 1333MHZ FSB,
    > LGA775
    > or
    > Q6600 - INTEL CORE 2 QUAD PROCESSOR, 2.40GHZ, 8MB CACHE, 1066MHZ FSB,
    > LGA775
    >
    > Both seem to be around the same price, and I guess both FSX and LockOn
    > (and many other sims) will use only one core anyway? And finally is either
    > CPU overclockable?

    1. Advertising

  3. Al Brumski

    Al Brumski Guest

    Funny you should ask:

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600.html

    Both cpu's are compared head to head here.

    I have an E6850 that performs extremely well with both fsx as well as
    fs9. fsx with sp1 does utilize both cores.

    Both processors are highly overclockable, make sure you get the G0
    stepping in either case.

    The 6850 is G0 by default, G0 is a new revision for the Q6600. This
    revision results in a substantial decrease in thermal output thus
    allowing for better overclocking with traditional cooling.

    I'm on water and my best is 4.2 ghz orthos stable for ~0.5 hr.

    Make sure you get a decent motherboard and ram to support these new
    "beasts".

    If you're not in a hurry, the new 45nm yorkfield should be available
    around the holidays. 4 cores, new instruction sets, supposed to be
    even more awesome, (but probably $$$$$)

    Good Luck.

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 07:48:48 GMT, "Canuck" <>
    wrote:

    >As for processors, I cannot help as I have lost the plot since pentium 3 -
    >just cant keep up with all the differing numbers. FSX with the SP1 patch
    >will utilise dual processors (and quads) however. I would not think that
    >matters so much with Lock on as it is relatively old now and was released
    >before duos and quads.

  4. Al

    I have just built a new system comprising an Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi
    nForce 680i motherboard (meant to be a beast on overclocking), Core 2
    Duo E6850 cpu, 2gb of Crucial 10th anniversary DDR2 memory with
    3.3.3.12 timings at 2.2v, XFX Geforce 8800 GTX Ultra XXX gpu, 2x 500
    sata WD Caviar drives in RAID0 array yet I cannot get beyond a stable
    3500mhz. I have tried everything ranging from having the memory
    linked and reducing the timings, having it unlinked and back at
    default 667mhz, increased vcore voltage from its default 1.3v right up
    to 1.48v (just the once) but it still fails during 3Dmark05 if I'm
    higher than 3600mhz. I had it at 3555 (395x9) but it failed during
    Prime95 which I ran after STALKER crahing out on me. I have also
    raised voltage a little to NB and SB but that didnt help. I have a
    Zalmon 9500(?) heatsink on the cpu with Artic Silver compound and
    Coretemp shows my temps between 10-35 degrees so heat is not an
    issue. I wish I could get it higher but everything I'm trying just
    gives me more problems.

    Any other advice.

    Ibby

  5. Don Burnette

    Don Burnette Guest

    "Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris)" <> wrote
    in message news:...
    > Al
    >
    > I have just built a new system comprising an Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi
    > nForce 680i motherboard (meant to be a beast on overclocking), Core 2
    > Duo E6850 cpu, 2gb of Crucial 10th anniversary DDR2 memory with
    > 3.3.3.12 timings at 2.2v, XFX Geforce 8800 GTX Ultra XXX gpu, 2x 500
    > sata WD Caviar drives in RAID0 array yet I cannot get beyond a stable
    > 3500mhz. I have tried everything ranging from having the memory
    > linked and reducing the timings, having it unlinked and back at
    > default 667mhz, increased vcore voltage from its default 1.3v right up
    > to 1.48v (just the once) but it still fails during 3Dmark05 if I'm
    > higher than 3600mhz. I had it at 3555 (395x9) but it failed during
    > Prime95 which I ran after STALKER crahing out on me. I have also
    > raised voltage a little to NB and SB but that didnt help. I have a
    > Zalmon 9500(?) heatsink on the cpu with Artic Silver compound and
    > Coretemp shows my temps between 10-35 degrees so heat is not an
    > issue. I wish I could get it higher but everything I'm trying just
    > gives me more problems.
    >
    > Any other advice.

    Hey Ibby,

    Your chip, is on the upper end of the Core2 Duo chips. You probably, are not
    going to have as much headroom, for overclocking, as you might get
    with say an E6600, which is what I have. If I am not mistaken, that E6850 is
    a 3 ghz chip right? My E6600, is a 2.4 ghz chip, and I have it running
    solid at 3.24 ghz. The E6600, more than likely, comes from the same wafer
    as say the E6850, it is just the 6850 is rated to run at the higher speed.
    I would say, if you can get that chip stable at say 3.3-3.5 ghz, you are
    doing pretty good and are getting a decent overclock for it.

    Having said that, you can always try to up the vcore some. If you had it set
    to 1.48v in the bios, keep in mind the vdroop, the final vcore voltage is
    probably
    going to be lower than what you set in the bios, you can check this with a
    program like CPUz. Mine, is set to auto, which in bios is 1.46v, however my
    final vcore
    voltage is actually 1.41v.
    There are some that will throw 1.5v at these chips ( final voltage), I could
    probably get my chip higher if I wanted to throw more voltage at it, I am
    just not comfortable
    doing so. If you do however, keep an eye on your temps measued with
    something like CoreTemp, which will give you the temps of each core.

    I also found it best, to run my ram unlinked at it's rated 1066 mhz speed
    ( pc8500), but I loosened up the timings a little over what it was rated
    for, to keep the voltage down
    some, some are reporting memory failures on the 680i running at 2.3v and up
    on ram voltage. My ram is rated to run 1066 mhz, at 5-5-5-15, at 2.2v,
    however I have mine running 5-5-5-18 at 1.95v.

    --
    Don

  6. scott s.

    scott s. Guest

    "constantine" <> wrote in

    > Which would be the better CPU for sims such as FSX and LockOn -
    > E6850 - INTEL CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR, 3.00GHZ, 4MB CACHE, 1333MHZ FSB,
    > LGA775 or
    > Q6600 - INTEL CORE 2 QUAD PROCESSOR, 2.40GHZ, 8MB CACHE, 1066MHZ FSB,
    > LGA775
    >
    > Both seem to be around the same price, and I guess both FSX and LockOn
    > (and many other sims) will use only one core anyway? And finally is
    > either CPU overclockable?

    I am in the same situation, and went with the Q6600 G0 stepping
    (SLACR). I figure even though 4 cores doen't show any benefit
    over 2 in FSX, I can still clock it to 3.2 or so and have some future
    proof. Here is an FSX test of quad vs duo on both XP and Vista:
    http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=197&topic_id=28727

    scott s.
    ..

  7. Al Brumski

    Al Brumski Guest

    Ibby,

    Those temps are wrong.....

    You're using an old version of something (coretemp, speedfan) which
    assumes your Tjunction is 85C. It's actually 100C for the 6850 which
    means you have to ad 15C to your current temps or download:

    http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

    Core Temp 0.95.4 beta. This will report correct temps.

    Tmax for your proc is 72C:
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9U

    add 15 to your 35 and you're just about there.

    The cpu test for 3D '05 is a crusher.

    My results are here, you can also view my system specs:
    http://www.overclock.net/2483752-post499.html

    (My moniker is "nuclearjock" in that forum).

    Vcore for me was ~1.62v for 4.1 ghz but Im on water..

    Load temps were ~62C...

    Al

  8. On Sep 4, 10:09 pm, Al Brumski <?> wrote:
    > Ibby,
    >
    > Those temps are wrong.....
    >
    > You're using an old version of something (coretemp, speedfan) which
    > assumes your Tjunction is 85C. It's actually 100C for the 6850 which
    > means you have to ad 15C to your current temps or download:
    >
    > http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/
    >
    > Core Temp 0.95.4 beta. This will report correct temps.
    >
    > Tmax for your proc is 72C:http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9U
    >
    > add 15 to your 35 and you're just about there.
    >
    > The cpu test for 3D '05 is a crusher.
    >
    > My results are here, you can also view my system specs:http://www.overclock.net/2483752-post499.html
    >
    > (My moniker is "nuclearjock" in that forum).
    >
    > Vcore for me was ~1.62v for 4.1 ghz but Im on water..
    >
    > Load temps were ~62C...
    >
    > Al

    Thanks for that, my CoreTemp is version 0.94 and does indeed show
    Tjunction at 85 degrees. I will get the new version and test temps.
    My case has all the fans on moderate which can be increased to make
    the internals cooler but then the noise levels rise too.

    Ibby

  9. notspecified

    notspecified Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sep 4, 10:09 pm, Al Brumski <?> wrote:
    > > Ibby,
    > >
    > > Those temps are wrong.....
    > >
    > > You're using an old version of something (coretemp, speedfan) which
    > > assumes your Tjunction is 85C. It's actually 100C for the 6850 which
    > > means you have to ad 15C to your current temps or download:
    > >
    > > http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/
    > >
    > > Core Temp 0.95.4 beta. This will report correct temps.
    > >
    > > Tmax for your proc is 72C:http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9U
    > >
    > > add 15 to your 35 and you're just about there.
    > >
    > > The cpu test for 3D '05 is a crusher.
    > >
    > > My results are here, you can also view my system specs:http://www.overclock.net/2483752-post499.html
    > >
    > > (My moniker is "nuclearjock" in that forum).
    > >
    > > Vcore for me was ~1.62v for 4.1 ghz but Im on water..
    > >
    > > Load temps were ~62C...
    > >
    > > Al

    > Thanks for that, my CoreTemp is version 0.94 and does indeed show
    > Tjunction at 85 degrees. I will get the new version and test temps.
    > My case has all the fans on moderate which can be increased to make
    > the internals cooler but then the noise levels rise too.
    >
    > Ibby

    Even adding 15c to your reported 10c is still unlikely as that would only be
    about room ambient temp. Anyway, if your load temp is 62c, adding 15 to that
    would mean you are running too hot under load to be stable. I would have
    guessed that the Zalman 9500 would do a little better than that, perhaps FSB at
    400 for a 3.6Ghz overclock without having to increase voltage to the point of
    getting load temps of 77c. I have read that the 680i chipset has "holes" where
    you can't set the FSB. One of the holes may be between 400mhz and ?

    At this site:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_2.html#sect0

    They used a Scythe Infinity to overclock an E6850 to stable 3.85Ghz using
    1.55v, but who knows what temps they were getting. Apparently they also used a
    Zalman 9700 and got an overclock of 3.79Ghz, but the 9700 will cool a few
    degrees cooler than the 9500. They also used a P35 MB which is a much better
    overclocker than the 680i.

    If you can get a stable 3.4Ghz without high temps I wouldn't complain though.
    An extra .2Ghz would hardly be noticable anyway, and that way you aren't
    stressing your system so much.

  10. On Sep 4, 11:37 pm, notspecified <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    > > On Sep 4, 10:09 pm, Al Brumski <?> wrote:
    > > > Ibby,

    > > > Those temps are wrong.....

    > > > You're using an old version of something (coretemp, speedfan) which
    > > > assumes your Tjunction is 85C. It's actually 100C for the 6850 which
    > > > means you have to ad 15C to your current temps or download:

    > > >http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

    > > > Core Temp 0.95.4 beta. This will report correct temps.

    > > > Tmax for your proc is 72C:http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9U

    > > > add 15 to your 35 and you're just about there.

    > > > The cpu test for 3D '05 is a crusher.

    > > > My results are here, you can also view my system specs:http://www.overclock.net/2483752-post499.html

    > > > (My moniker is "nuclearjock" in that forum).

    > > > Vcore for me was ~1.62v for 4.1 ghz but Im on water..

    > > > Load temps were ~62C...

    > > > Al

    > > Thanks for that, my CoreTemp is version 0.94 and does indeed show
    > > Tjunction at 85 degrees. I will get the new version and test temps.
    > > My case has all the fans on moderate which can be increased to make
    > > the internals cooler but then the noise levels rise too.

    > > Ibby

    > Even adding 15c to your reported 10c is still unlikely as that would only be
    > about room ambient temp. Anyway, if your load temp is 62c, adding 15 to that
    > would mean you are running too hot under load to be stable. I would have
    > guessed that the Zalman 9500 would do a little better than that, perhaps FSB at
    > 400 for a 3.6Ghz overclock without having to increase voltage to the point of
    > getting load temps of 77c. I have read that the 680i chipset has "holes" where
    > you can't set the FSB. One of the holes may be between 400mhz and ?
    >
    > At this site:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_2.html#s...
    >
    > They used a Scythe Infinity to overclock an E6850 to stable 3.85Ghz using
    > 1.55v, but who knows what temps they were getting. Apparently they also used a
    > Zalman 9700 and got an overclock of 3.79Ghz, but the 9700 will cool a few
    > degrees cooler than the 9500. They also used a P35 MB which is a much better
    > overclocker than the 680i.
    >
    > If you can get a stable 3.4Ghz without high temps I wouldn't complain though.
    > An extra .2Ghz would hardly be noticable anyway, and that way you aren't
    > stressing your system so much.- Hide quoted text -

    I'm now peaking at 50 degrees with the latest CoreTemp. Where are you
    getting the 62 from?
    My older E6600 was giving me a peak temp of 40 degrees but that was
    running at 2850mhz in a poorer case.
    May try a higher bus speed, its just a pain in the arse reseting the
    BIOS even with the easy switch at the rear as the board then has
    problems detecting the array before I can even get into the BIOS
    setup. It then takes me a few attempts to get the clock speeds etc to
    actually apply. They show correctly in the setup but then within
    windows they are back at stock speeds.
    Wish I could up the multiplier to 10 then lower the bus speed to get a
    higher overall clock speed. I have read about a lot of board with a
    '400 FSB wall'

    Ibby

    Ibby

  11. Al Brumski

    Al Brumski Guest

    Don't forget, I'm at >1.6v Vcore @4.1 ghz. That generates lots of
    heat...

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 16:17:14 -0700, "Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known
    as Chris)" <> wrote:

    >On Sep 4, 11:37 pm, notspecified <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >> > Thanks for that, my CoreTemp is version 0.94 and does indeed show
    >> > Tjunction at 85 degrees. I will get the new version and test temps.
    >> > My case has all the fans on moderate which can be increased to make
    >> > the internals cooler but then the noise levels rise too.

    >> > Ibby

    >> Even adding 15c to your reported 10c is still unlikely as that would only be
    >> about room ambient temp. Anyway, if your load temp is 62c, adding 15 to that
    >> would mean you are running too hot under load to be stable. I would have
    >> guessed that the Zalman 9500 would do a little better than that, perhaps FSB at
    >> 400 for a 3.6Ghz overclock without having to increase voltage to the point of
    >> getting load temps of 77c. I have read that the 680i chipset has "holes" where
    >> you can't set the FSB. One of the holes may be between 400mhz and ?
    >>
    >> At this site:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_2.html#s...
    >>
    >> They used a Scythe Infinity to overclock an E6850 to stable 3.85Ghz using
    >> 1.55v, but who knows what temps they were getting. Apparently they also used a
    >> Zalman 9700 and got an overclock of 3.79Ghz, but the 9700 will cool a few
    >> degrees cooler than the 9500. They also used a P35 MB which is a much better
    >> overclocker than the 680i.
    >>
    >> If you can get a stable 3.4Ghz without high temps I wouldn't complain though.
    >> An extra .2Ghz would hardly be noticable anyway, and that way you aren't
    >> stressing your system so much.- Hide quoted text -

    >I'm now peaking at 50 degrees with the latest CoreTemp. Where are you
    >getting the 62 from?
    >My older E6600 was giving me a peak temp of 40 degrees but that was
    >running at 2850mhz in a poorer case.
    >May try a higher bus speed, its just a pain in the arse reseting the
    >BIOS even with the easy switch at the rear as the board then has
    >problems detecting the array before I can even get into the BIOS
    >setup. It then takes me a few attempts to get the clock speeds etc to
    >actually apply. They show correctly in the setup but then within
    >windows they are back at stock speeds.
    >Wish I could up the multiplier to 10 then lower the bus speed to get a
    >higher overall clock speed. I have read about a lot of board with a
    >'400 FSB wall'
    >
    >Ibby
    >
    >Ibby

  12. Al Brumski

    Al Brumski Guest

    Tjunction for the older 1066 fsb c2d's = 85C
    Tjunction for E6x50 G0 1333 fsb c2d's = 100C

    100 - 85 = 15

    So if you're using a temp monitor which incorrectly assigns Tjunction,
    you have to correct accordingly.

    Core Temp calculates temps as follows:

    Reported temp = Tjunction - DSR

    Where DSR is the actual signal from the digital thermal sensor mounted
    beneath each core.

    Many of the manufacturer's monitors (i.e. Asus Probe) report cpu temps
    from a third sensor which is mounted midway between both cores which
    is usually lower than the readings taken from the sensors mounted
    directly beneath the cores themselves.

    On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 18:37:34 -0400, notspecified
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Sep 4, 10:09 pm, Al Brumski <?> wrote:
    >> > Ibby,
    >> >
    >> > Those temps are wrong.....
    >> >
    >> > You're using an old version of something (coretemp, speedfan) which
    >> > assumes your Tjunction is 85C. It's actually 100C for the 6850 which
    >> > means you have to ad 15C to your current temps or download:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/
    >> >
    >> > Core Temp 0.95.4 beta. This will report correct temps.
    >> >
    >> > Tmax for your proc is 72C:http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9U
    >> >
    >> > add 15 to your 35 and you're just about there.
    >> >
    >> > The cpu test for 3D '05 is a crusher.
    >> >
    >> > My results are here, you can also view my system specs:http://www.overclock.net/2483752-post499.html
    >> >
    >> > (My moniker is "nuclearjock" in that forum).
    >> >
    >> > Vcore for me was ~1.62v for 4.1 ghz but Im on water..
    >> >
    >> > Load temps were ~62C...
    >> >
    >> > Al

    >> Thanks for that, my CoreTemp is version 0.94 and does indeed show
    >> Tjunction at 85 degrees. I will get the new version and test temps.
    >> My case has all the fans on moderate which can be increased to make
    >> the internals cooler but then the noise levels rise too.
    >>
    >> Ibby
    >>

    >Even adding 15c to your reported 10c is still unlikely as that would only be
    >about room ambient temp. Anyway, if your load temp is 62c, adding 15 to that
    >would mean you are running too hot under load to be stable. I would have
    >guessed that the Zalman 9500 would do a little better than that, perhaps FSB at
    >400 for a 3.6Ghz overclock without having to increase voltage to the point of
    >getting load temps of 77c. I have read that the 680i chipset has "holes" where
    >you can't set the FSB. One of the holes may be between 400mhz and ?
    >
    >At this site:
    >http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_2.html#sect0
    >
    >They used a Scythe Infinity to overclock an E6850 to stable 3.85Ghz using
    >1.55v, but who knows what temps they were getting. Apparently they also used a
    >Zalman 9700 and got an overclock of 3.79Ghz, but the 9700 will cool a few
    >degrees cooler than the 9500. They also used a P35 MB which is a much better
    >overclocker than the 680i.
    >
    >If you can get a stable 3.4Ghz without high temps I wouldn't complain though.
    >An extra .2Ghz would hardly be noticable anyway, and that way you aren't
    >stressing your system so much.

  13. notspecified

    notspecified Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sep 4, 11:37 pm, notspecified <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > > > Thanks for that, my CoreTemp is version 0.94 and does indeed show
    > > > Tjunction at 85 degrees. I will get the new version and test temps.
    > > > My case has all the fans on moderate which can be increased to make
    > > > the internals cooler but then the noise levels rise too.

    > > > Ibby

    > > Even adding 15c to your reported 10c is still unlikely as that would only be
    > > about room ambient temp. Anyway, if your load temp is 62c, adding 15 to that
    > > would mean you are running too hot under load to be stable. I would have
    > > guessed that the Zalman 9500 would do a little better than that, perhaps FSB at
    > > 400 for a 3.6Ghz overclock without having to increase voltage to the point of
    > > getting load temps of 77c. I have read that the 680i chipset has "holes" where
    > > you can't set the FSB. One of the holes may be between 400mhz and ?
    > >
    > > At this site:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_2.html#s...
    > >
    > > They used a Scythe Infinity to overclock an E6850 to stable 3.85Ghz using
    > > 1.55v, but who knows what temps they were getting. Apparently they also used a
    > > Zalman 9700 and got an overclock of 3.79Ghz, but the 9700 will cool a few
    > > degrees cooler than the 9500. They also used a P35 MB which is a much better
    > > overclocker than the 680i.
    > >
    > > If you can get a stable 3.4Ghz without high temps I wouldn't complain though.
    > > An extra .2Ghz would hardly be noticable anyway, and that way you aren't
    > > stressing your system so much.- Hide quoted text -

    > I'm now peaking at 50 degrees with the latest CoreTemp. Where are you
    > getting the 62 from?
    > My older E6600 was giving me a peak temp of 40 degrees but that was
    > running at 2850mhz in a poorer case.
    > May try a higher bus speed, its just a pain in the arse reseting the
    > BIOS even with the easy switch at the rear as the board then has
    > problems detecting the array before I can even get into the BIOS
    > setup. It then takes me a few attempts to get the clock speeds etc to
    > actually apply. They show correctly in the setup but then within
    > windows they are back at stock speeds.
    > Wish I could up the multiplier to 10 then lower the bus speed to get a
    > higher overall clock speed. I have read about a lot of board with a
    > '400 FSB wall'
    >
    > Ibby
    >
    > Ibby

    50 degrees is still pretty cool. I guess it isn't temps that are holding you
    back.

  14. Don Burnette

    Don Burnette Guest

    "Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris)" <> wrote
    in message news:...
    > On Sep 4, 11:37 pm, notspecified <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >> > Thanks for that, my CoreTemp is version 0.94 and does indeed show
    >> > Tjunction at 85 degrees. I will get the new version and test temps.
    >> > My case has all the fans on moderate which can be increased to make
    >> > the internals cooler but then the noise levels rise too.

    >> > Ibby

    >> Even adding 15c to your reported 10c is still unlikely as that would only
    >> be
    >> about room ambient temp. Anyway, if your load temp is 62c, adding 15 to
    >> that
    >> would mean you are running too hot under load to be stable. I would have
    >> guessed that the Zalman 9500 would do a little better than that, perhaps
    >> FSB at
    >> 400 for a 3.6Ghz overclock without having to increase voltage to the
    >> point of
    >> getting load temps of 77c. I have read that the 680i chipset has "holes"
    >> where
    >> you can't set the FSB. One of the holes may be between 400mhz and ?
    >>
    >> At this
    >> site:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_2.html#s...
    >>
    >> They used a Scythe Infinity to overclock an E6850 to stable 3.85Ghz using
    >> 1.55v, but who knows what temps they were getting. Apparently they also
    >> used a
    >> Zalman 9700 and got an overclock of 3.79Ghz, but the 9700 will cool a few
    >> degrees cooler than the 9500. They also used a P35 MB which is a much
    >> better
    >> overclocker than the 680i.
    >>
    >> If you can get a stable 3.4Ghz without high temps I wouldn't complain
    >> though.
    >> An extra .2Ghz would hardly be noticable anyway, and that way you aren't
    >> stressing your system so much.- Hide quoted text -

    > I'm now peaking at 50 degrees with the latest CoreTemp. Where are you
    > getting the 62 from?
    > My older E6600 was giving me a peak temp of 40 degrees but that was
    > running at 2850mhz in a poorer case.
    > May try a higher bus speed, its just a pain in the arse reseting the
    > BIOS even with the easy switch at the rear as the board then has
    > problems detecting the array before I can even get into the BIOS
    > setup. It then takes me a few attempts to get the clock speeds etc to
    > actually apply. They show correctly in the setup but then within
    > windows they are back at stock speeds.
    > Wish I could up the multiplier to 10 then lower the bus speed to get a
    > higher overall clock speed. I have read about a lot of board with a
    > '400 FSB wall'

    Ibby,

    When viewing the speeds at your windows desktop, could the cpu be throttling
    down?
    I remember, there was a bios setting for mine, I forget what exactly it was
    called, I had to disable to keep that from happening.
    Basically, when system was idle like at desktop, it would throttle down the
    fsb, voltage, etc.

    --
    Don

  15. P_C

    P_C Guest

    Hi,

    I have a Q6600 overclock at 3,0 gig with a fsb of 1333 mhz,
    perfect, need fsx sp1.

    With a motherboard asus P5W DH (and yes it can do a fsb of 1333 mhz),
    but it need a good cooling fan (zalman all copper 7700) and
    a good power supply and cooling case, it make a lot of heat when overclock.

    PC

    PC
    ae6Di.30453$...

  16. On Sep 5, 10:40 pm, notspecified <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    > > On Sep 4, 11:37 pm, notspecified <> wrote:
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > says...

    > > > Even adding 15c to your reported 10c is still unlikely as that would only be
    > > > about room ambient temp. Anyway, if your load temp is 62c, adding 15 to that
    > > > would mean you are running too hot under load to be stable. I would have
    > > > guessed that the Zalman 9500 would do a little better than that, perhaps FSB at
    > > > 400 for a 3.6Ghz overclock without having to increase voltage to the point of
    > > > getting load temps of 77c. I have read that the 680i chipset has "holes" where
    > > > you can't set the FSB. One of the holes may be between 400mhz and ?

    > > > At this site:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_2.html#s...

    > > > They used a Scythe Infinity to overclock an E6850 to stable 3.85Ghz using
    > > > 1.55v, but who knows what temps they were getting. Apparently they also used a
    > > > Zalman 9700 and got an overclock of 3.79Ghz, but the 9700 will cool a few
    > > > degrees cooler than the 9500. They also used a P35 MB which is a much better
    > > > overclocker than the 680i.

    > > > If you can get a stable 3.4Ghz without high temps I wouldn't complain though.
    > > > An extra .2Ghz would hardly be noticable anyway, and that way you aren't
    > > > stressing your system so much.- Hide quoted text -

    > > I'm now peaking at 50 degrees with the latest CoreTemp. Where are you
    > > getting the 62 from?
    > > My older E6600 was giving me a peak temp of 40 degrees but that was
    > > running at 2850mhz in a poorer case.
    > > May try a higher bus speed, its just a pain in the arse reseting the
    > > BIOS even with the easy switch at the rear as the board then has
    > > problems detecting the array before I can even get into the BIOS
    > > setup. It then takes me a few attempts to get the clock speeds etc to
    > > actually apply. They show correctly in the setup but then within
    > > windows they are back at stock speeds.
    > > Wish I could up the multiplier to 10 then lower the bus speed to get a
    > > higher overall clock speed. I have read about a lot of board with a
    > > '400 FSB wall'

    > > Ibby

    > > Ibby

    > 50 degrees is still pretty cool. I guess it isn't temps that are holding you
    > back.- Hide quoted text -

    Its meant to be a good board for overclocking so I had hoped for more.
    Here it is http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/uk/mot...p?pMODEL_NAME=IN9 32X-MAX Wi-Fi&fMTYPE=LGA775

    Ibby

  17. On Sep 5, 11:40 pm, "Don Burnette" <>
    wrote:
    > "Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris)" <> wrote
    > in messagenews:...
    >

    > > On Sep 4, 11:37 pm, notspecified <> wrote:
    > >> In article <>,
    > >> says...

    > >> Even adding 15c to your reported 10c is still unlikely as that would only
    > >> be
    > >> about room ambient temp. Anyway, if your load temp is 62c, adding 15 to
    > >> that
    > >> would mean you are running too hot under load to be stable. I would have
    > >> guessed that the Zalman 9500 would do a little better than that, perhaps
    > >> FSB at
    > >> 400 for a 3.6Ghz overclock without having to increase voltage to the
    > >> point of
    > >> getting load temps of 77c. I have read that the 680i chipset has "holes"
    > >> where
    > >> you can't set the FSB. One of the holes may be between 400mhz and ?

    > >> At this
    > >> site:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_2.html#s...

    > >> They used a Scythe Infinity to overclock an E6850 to stable 3.85Ghz using
    > >> 1.55v, but who knows what temps they were getting. Apparently they also
    > >> used a
    > >> Zalman 9700 and got an overclock of 3.79Ghz, but the 9700 will cool a few
    > >> degrees cooler than the 9500. They also used a P35 MB which is a much
    > >> better
    > >> overclocker than the 680i.

    > >> If you can get a stable 3.4Ghz without high temps I wouldn't complain
    > >> though.
    > >> An extra .2Ghz would hardly be noticable anyway, and that way you aren't
    > >> stressing your system so much.- Hide quoted text -

    > > I'm now peaking at 50 degrees with the latest CoreTemp. Where are you
    > > getting the 62 from?
    > > My older E6600 was giving me a peak temp of 40 degrees but that was
    > > running at 2850mhz in a poorer case.
    > > May try a higher bus speed, its just a pain in the arse reseting the
    > > BIOS even with the easy switch at the rear as the board then has
    > > problems detecting the array before I can even get into the BIOS
    > > setup. It then takes me a few attempts to get the clock speeds etc to
    > > actually apply. They show correctly in the setup but then within
    > > windows they are back at stock speeds.
    > > Wish I could up the multiplier to 10 then lower the bus speed to get a
    > > higher overall clock speed. I have read about a lot of board with a
    > > '400 FSB wall'

    > Ibby,
    >
    > When viewing the speeds at your windows desktop, could the cpu be throttling
    > down?
    > I remember, there was a bios setting for mine, I forget what exactly it was
    > called, I had to disable to keep that from happening.
    > Basically, when system was idle like at desktop, it would throttle down the
    > fsb, voltage, etc.
    >
    > --
    > Don- Hide quoted text -

    I do notice the 'stepped' speed (forget what its called) when using
    Cpu-z. When idle it shows 2000+ mhz and multiplier of 6 and under
    load goes back up to 9x and the correct speed. I did a quick test
    using a lower multiplier and higher bus speed 8 x 450 which as my
    calculator recons is 3600 which I couldnt get past before. System
    booted ok but 3Dmark05 just crashed out back desktop after few
    minutes. CoreTemp and cpuz misread the speed though and kept it at
    9x450 = 4050mhz but temps were showing in the low 70s which scares me
    a little. Going back to the BIOS shows the 8x450 settings are saved
    ok. I had also raised vcore temp to 1.5v as a test - have now lowered
    it again.

    Ibby