    processor that is faster?
    Thanks.

    LJS

    LSkizynski, Jan 11, 2008

  2. LSkizynski wrote:
    > I do a lot of dictating of reports using Vista's speech recognition
    > and Microsoft Office 2007 Word. I'm currently using a dual core
    > processor (X2 4400). I would like to upgrade my computer for better
    > performance and speech recognition performance is the most important
    > factor to me. Would I be better off with a quad core processor like
    > the Q6600 or a dual core processor that is faster?

    How about a better microphone/sound card (lower electrical noise) and a
    quieter environment (less background noise to confuse the speech
    recognition)? Also, avoid drinking alcohol - even small amounts make life
    difficult for speech recognition.

    Andrew

    Andrew Morton, Jan 11, 2008

  3. LSkizynski

    LSkizynski Guest

    Andrew,
    Thanks for the reply. The accuracy of the speech recognition is fine. I am
    using a Sennheiser ME 3 microphone with an Andrea USB adapter instead of a
    sound card. I dictate in a fairly quiet room. By better performance I mean
    the latency or rate at which the dictated words appear on the monitor after
    they are dictated.
    LS

    LSkizynski, Jan 11, 2008
  4. On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:36:56 -0500, LSkizynski wrote:

    > I do a lot of dictating of reports using Vista's speech recognition and
    > Microsoft Office 2007 Word. I'm currently using a dual core processor
    > (X2 4400). I would like to upgrade my computer for better performance
    > and speech recognition performance is the most important factor to me.
    > Would I be better off with a quad core processor like the Q6600 or a
    > dual core processor that is faster?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > LJS

    Is the speech recognition program multithreaded? If it is then you'll
    benefit from a quad core otherwise you won't. Try the following
    experiment, check and see if your BIOS allows you to disable one of the
    cores. If it can then turn off one core and then see if you see a big
    performance difference. If you don't see a difference between 1 and 2
    cores then you definitely won't see a difference between 2 and 4.

    General Schvantzkopf, Jan 11, 2008
  5. LSkizynski

    LSkizynski Guest

    I'm using speech recognition which is part of Vista (the operating system
    itself) to dictate into Microsoft Office Word instead of a separate speech
    recognition program such as Dragon or Via Voice. I'm not sure how that
    actually uses multithreading but Vista I'm sure does. Thanks.
    LS

    LSkizynski, Jan 11, 2008
  6. LSkizynski

    John Dallman Guest

    In article <4787c00b$0$28869$>,
    (LSkizynski) wrote:

    > "General Schvantzkopf" <> wrote in message
    > > Is the speech recognition program multithreaded? If it is then
    > > you'll benefit from a quad core otherwise you won't. Try the
    > > following experiment, check and see if your BIOS allows you to
    > > disable one of the cores. If it can then turn off one core and
    > > then see if you see a big performance difference. If you don't
    > > see a difference between 1 and 2 cores then you definitely won't
    > > see a difference between 2 and 4.

    > I'm using speech recognition which is part of Vista (the operating
    > system itself) to dictate into Microsoft Office Word instead of a
    > separate speech recognition program such as Dragon or Via Voice. I'm
    > not sure how that actually uses multithreading but Vista I'm sure
    > does.

    Unfortunately the fact that it is part of Vista, and Vista uses
    multithreading doesn't actually tell you anything useful. Vista
    is not one program that does all of the Vista things. It is many
    separate programs - the joins are well-concealed in some places -
    some of which are multi-threaded and some of which are not.

    The logic was approximately "I have a sheep" (I'm using Vista) and "Some
    sheep are black" (Vista uses multi-threading) therefore "my sheep must
    be black". If MS had required of the Vista development teams that every
    single program in it be as multi-threaded as is humanly possible, it
    would not have been released yet, and we'd be looking at some time in
    the 2030s for it.

    You need to do the test, as described.

    --
    John Dallman
    "C++ - the FORTRAN of the early 21st century."

    John Dallman, Jan 11, 2008
  7. LSkizynski

    Nate Edel Guest

    John Dallman <> wrote:
    > Unfortunately the fact that it is part of Vista, and Vista uses
    > multithreading doesn't actually tell you anything useful. Vista
    > is not one program that does all of the Vista things. It is many
    > separate programs - the joins are well-concealed in some places -
    > some of which are multi-threaded and some of which are not.
    >
    > The logic was approximately "I have a sheep" (I'm using Vista) and "Some
    > sheep are black" (Vista uses multi-threading) therefore "my sheep must
    > be black". If MS had required of the Vista development teams that every
    > single program in it be as multi-threaded as is humanly possible, it
    > would not have been released yet, and we'd be looking at some time in
    > the 2030s for it.

    Even if the speech recognition module itself isn't multithreaded, Vista is
    enough of a hog that a quad core is probably desirable - one core for the
    desktop window manager/GDI, one for the Office UI, and one for speech
    recognition is already 3 :)

    --
    Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
    preferred email |

    Nate Edel, Jan 11, 2008
  8. LSkizynski

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Why does the app have to be multi-threaded?
    All desktop Win NT run dozens of threads.

    About a decade ago people were saying a dual PPro system was
    more responsive than a PII. Less context switching, still true.

    Eric Gisin, Jan 11, 2008