CPU temp readings

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by GuessWho, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. GuessWho

    GuessWho Guest

    Actually I have two issues:

    I have a Celeron D 2.4 running on a SOYO SY-P4i865PE Plus v 1.0 with XP PRO
    SP2 fully up to date.. I've replaced the retail box fan with a Thermaltake
    P4 Spark 7+. I used the included thermal paste and I've checked to make sure
    all the fans are running, the thermal paste is applied properly and the CPU
    is seated correctly.

    First, all the various temp monitors (MBM 5, Aida32 and SiSoft Sandra)
    indicate a cpu temp of 70 C at startup and while idle. Several hours of
    heavy cpu usage ( PVR work or coding and burning while surfing) bumps the
    temp up to 72C. During these operations the CPU usage is almost 100%.
    However, the BIOS temp indicates 42C at idle. The heat sink is not even warm
    to the touch at heaviest usage and the CPU is running very near it's stated
    rating of 2.4. These same monitors indicate correct chassis fan and CPU fan
    speeds and they are consistent with the BIOS reading.

    Second, my Soyo i865 board has the LED (AGP monitor - I think) lit.
    According to the manuals this indicates a wrong voltage and the system
    shouldn't work. The AGP card is an older ASUS 4x v8170 with a nVidia
    GeForce4 MX420. It is running at 4X and, according to the manual diagram, it
    appears to be a 1.5 V card.

    While my system seems to be working fine, I'd some suggestions as to what
    might be causing the abnormalities.

    Wayne

    GuessWho, Dec 8, 2004

  2. GuessWho

    Guest

    GuessWho wrote:
    > Actually I have two issues:
    >
    > I have a Celeron D 2.4 running on a SOYO SY-P4i865PE Plus v 1.0 with

    XP PRO
    > SP2 fully up to date.. I've replaced the retail box fan with a

    Thermaltake
    > P4 Spark 7+. I used the included thermal paste and I've checked to

    make sure
    > all the fans are running, the thermal paste is applied properly and

    the CPU
    > is seated correctly.
    >
    > First, all the various temp monitors (MBM 5, Aida32 and SiSoft

    Sandra)
    > indicate a cpu temp of 70 C at startup and while idle. Several hours

    of
    > heavy cpu usage ( PVR work or coding and burning while surfing) bumps

    the
    > temp up to 72C. During these operations the CPU usage is almost 100%.

    > However, the BIOS temp indicates 42C at idle. The heat sink is not

    even warm
    > to the touch at heaviest usage and the CPU is running very near it's

    stated
    > rating of 2.4. These same monitors indicate correct chassis fan and

    CPU fan
    > speeds and they are consistent with the BIOS reading.
    >
    > Second, my Soyo i865 board has the LED (AGP monitor - I think) lit.
    > According to the manuals this indicates a wrong voltage and the

    system
    > shouldn't work. The AGP card is an older ASUS 4x v8170 with a nVidia
    > GeForce4 MX420. It is running at 4X and, according to the manual

    diagram, it
    > appears to be a 1.5 V card.
    >
    > While my system seems to be working fine, I'd some suggestions as to

    what
    > might be causing the abnormalities.
    >
    > Wayne

    Wayne,

    The Asus v8170 video card may be a problem, the card is notched to work
    with 1.5V systems. But this card will also work in AGP1X which is
    3.3Volt. These cards were auto sensing the power requirements of the
    motherboard. The improper voltage warning light is being tripped most
    likely because the card is operating close but not exactly to the
    required 1.5V spec. This in time could cause you motherboard problems
    and I would recommend a newer video card that supports AGP8X, you will
    see some that support AGP2X,4X,8X these are fine as well. As long as it
    supports AGP8X you know its working with the correct power specs for
    the board. Plus in 8X your getting more bandwidth out of your video
    card.

    As for your temp readings I would believe the BIOS temp reading. Aida32
    & SiSoft Sandra free versions have been known to give false readings.
    The only true way to get a correct temp reading is by installing a
    thermal sensor between the cpu and fan. In your BIOS settings you can
    set the board to shut down when it reaches a set temp. If your really
    worried just set it to shut down at 50c or 55c. Even though I have
    installed the thermal sensor I still have my P-4 set to shut down at
    50c in the BIOS and it's never been tripped.

    , Dec 8, 2004

  3. GuessWho

    GuessWho Guest

    j.burgdoff,

    Thanx for your suggestions. I will look for another AGP card and then see if
    the ASUS board will work in a machine at our summer camp. It currently has a
    8MB SIS card. It is an older machine with an K2-550 processor on a
    Micro-Star MS - 5169 board.

    I have limited access to BIOS features that allow for overclocking, voltage
    adjustment and safety limits. I'm not sure if it's my lack of knowledge or
    if this SOYO board has been severely crippled. The SOYO site seems to
    indicate that all Dragon2 boards have a great deal of flexibility it the
    areas of overclocking, etc..

    Wayne

    GuessWho, Dec 9, 2004
  4. GuessWho

    Guest

    Wayne,

    The Intel based boards don't have all the overclocking features that
    the AMD based Dragon2 boards have. Intel cpu's are locked from the
    factory and the only way to overclock them is by raising the Front Side
    Buss speed. It is adjustible on your board. But you won't really see
    any increase in performance out of the new P-4 cpu's as you used to be
    able to in the past.

    , Dec 9, 2004