cpu temp safe range

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by don, Jan 18, 2011.

  1. don

    don Guest

    I have a 7 year old Delll Inspiron 8600 which seems like the fan is always
    coming on more often than when I first got it..... I installed I8kfangui
    software and raised the fan on setting to 70C for the CPU....
    Just wondering what is the safe range for temperatures for the cpu and gpu
    which is an Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200......

    Last year I had to replace the keyboard so I did clean out the fan about 8
    months ago.

    1. Advertising

  2. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ih4gje$49u$,
    don typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:54:10 -0500:
    > I have a 7 year old Delll Inspiron 8600 which seems like the fan is
    > always coming on more often than when I first got it..... I installed
    > I8kfangui software and raised the fan on setting to 70C for the
    > CPU.... Just wondering what is the safe range for temperatures for the
    > cpu
    > and gpu which is an Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200......
    >
    > Last year I had to replace the keyboard so I did clean out the fan
    > about 8 months ago.

    I can't speak much about GPU temps and I would trust what the
    manufactures say is safe. The same is true for CPU temps, but I have
    lots of experience here. And you didn't mention what type of CPU you
    have. As the number of cores and the speed makes a big difference as far
    as safe temps goes for one.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)

    1. Advertising

  3. don

    don Guest

    Sorry, its a Intel Pentium M processor 1400MHz 1.40 GHz 2.00 GB Ram

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    > I can't speak much about GPU temps and I would trust what the manufactures
    > say is safe. The same is true for CPU temps, but I have lots of experience
    > here. And you didn't mention what type of CPU you have. As the number of
    > cores and the speed makes a big difference as far as safe temps goes for
    > one.

  4. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ih4n7g$81r$,
    don typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:47:12 -0500:
    > Sorry, its a Intel Pentium M processor 1400MHz 1.40 GHz 2.00 GB Ram
    >
    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >> I can't speak much about GPU temps and I would trust what the
    >> manufactures say is safe. The same is true for CPU temps, but I have
    >> lots of experience here. And you didn't mention what type of CPU you
    >> have. As the number of cores and the speed makes a big difference as
    >> far as safe temps goes for one.

    Oh I know that one by heart! 168°F (75°C) is really pushing it, but they
    can take it seemingly for years this way. Once it hits 180°F (82°C) is
    really pushing it too and it seems it can take this for awhile (not for
    years though). Although anything higher and I don't think it will last
    too long.

    Setting it to kick on the fan higher at 70°C sounds good to me. Although
    for non-high CPU tasks, the CPU should not even hit 150°F (65°C) and
    that is where I would set it to kick on the fan higher. Although if it
    becomes too annoying 70°C should be fine.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)
    Centrino Core2 Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

  5. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ih4u7d$ss2$-september.org,
    BillW50 typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:39:54 -0600:
    > In news:ih4n7g$81r$,
    > don typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:47:12 -0500:
    >> Sorry, its a Intel Pentium M processor 1400MHz 1.40 GHz 2.00 GB Ram
    >>
    >> "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >>> I can't speak much about GPU temps and I would trust what the
    >>> manufactures say is safe. The same is true for CPU temps, but I have
    >>> lots of experience here. And you didn't mention what type of CPU you
    >>> have. As the number of cores and the speed makes a big difference as
    >>> far as safe temps goes for one.

    > Oh I know that one by heart! 168°F (75°C) is really pushing it, but
    > they can take it seemingly for years this way. Once it hits 180°F
    > (82°C) is really pushing it too and it seems it can take this for
    > awhile (not for years though). Although anything higher and I don't
    > think it will last too long.
    >
    > Setting it to kick on the fan higher at 70°C sounds good to me.
    > Although for non-high CPU tasks, the CPU should not even hit 150°F
    > (65°C) and that is where I would set it to kick on the fan higher.
    > Although if it becomes too annoying 70°C should be fine.

    I looked it up and Intel guarantees them to 100°C. And some had claimed
    they have pushed them up to 115°C (by overclocking). I personally feel
    uncomfortable with those figures though. As I know if you keep them
    below 75°C they seem to last forever.

    Keep in mind, laptops generally don't always have very accurate sensors.
    As I have one Gateway MX6124 that reads 10°F to 40°F lower than two
    other ones I have here (the greater difference is the hotter it gets).
    And I was playing 3D games on it and burned out the CPU in 6 weeks.
    Although the CPU was running at 100% most of the time. And the sensors I
    don't think ever read anything more than 70°C. Although I know it was
    much hotter than that and the sensors thought it was running really safe
    and no need to kick the fan on high.

    To check the sensor, what does it run at idle? Say the CPU use is 5% or
    less for a few minutes? If you get a reading between 51°C to 58°C I
    think that would be fairly accurate. The one that burned up on me read
    about 49°C at idle. The greater the CPU use, the greater the error was.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)
    Centrino Core2 Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

  6. don

    don Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message

    > To check the sensor, what does it run at idle? Say the CPU use is 5% or
    > less for a few minutes? If you get a reading between 51°C to 58°C I think
    > that would be fairly accurate.

    When I first turn the laptop on at 1% CPU the temp reading is at 49C or 50C,
    so I guess everything is ok for now.... thank-you very much for your
    information..... I was just fearful of over riding the fan settings myself
    because I had no idea what normal was?

    This I8kfangui.exe program seems to be controlling the fans good now that I
    raised the temps :)
    Please post the link to where your getting this info from if it is not too
    much trouble.

  7. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ih5709$alb$,
    don typed on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:16:26 -0500:
    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> To check the sensor, what does it run at idle? Say the CPU use is 5%
    >> or less for a few minutes? If you get a reading between 51°C to 58°C
    >> I think that would be fairly accurate.

    > When I first turn the laptop on at 1% CPU the temp reading is at 49C
    > or 50C, so I guess everything is ok for now.... thank-you very much
    > for your information..... I was just fearful of over riding the fan
    > settings myself because I had no idea what normal was?
    >
    > This I8kfangui.exe program seems to be controlling the fans good now
    > that I raised the temps :)
    > Please post the link to where your getting this info from if it is
    > not too much trouble.

    I don't know, but 49°C and 50°C sounds a bit on the low side to me. And
    you can't see a big difference until you really push it. As CPU
    temperature is almost as fast as CPU use. And if you have anything that
    maxs the CPU out then what is it reading? If you normally don't have
    anything that maxs it out, I have some tasks that will. One of them is
    converting video formats to another. Format Factory is free and can max
    out the CPU for you. Depending on the reading, you either have a very
    efficient cooling system or a sensor reading too low. And I would let
    the machine handle the fan and run it not more than a minute or two.
    Then report the temperature.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)
    Centrino Core2 Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

  8. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "don" <> schreef in bericht
    >I have a 7 year old Delll Inspiron 8600 which seems like the fan is always
    >coming on more often than when I first got it..... I installed I8kfangui
    >software and raised the fan on setting to 70C for the CPU....
    > Just wondering what is the safe range for temperatures for the cpu and gpu
    > which is an Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200......
    >
    > Last year I had to replace the keyboard so I did clean out the fan about 8
    > months ago.

    I assume this is a program to control temperature settings? Does this work
    on other brands notebooks too?
    I have been coping with high GPU temperatures in the past.
    I would surely like to know a way to manipulate the max temp down.
    After several mainboard replacements the GPU temp again reaches up to 70 C
    (Everest) nowadays.

    17-inch Medion Akoya MODEL: MIM2300 (MD 96662)
    os: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

  9. don

    don Guest

    "Linea Recta" <> wrote in message
    > "don" <> schreef in bericht
    >
    > I assume this is a program to control temperature settings? Does this work
    > on other brands notebooks too?
    > I have been coping with high GPU temperatures in the past.
    > I would surely like to know a way to manipulate the max temp down.
    > After several mainboard replacements the GPU temp again reaches up to 70 C
    > (Everest) nowadays.
    >
    > 17-inch Medion Akoya MODEL: MIM2300 (MD 96662)
    > os: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

    This program was written specifically for Dell so I am not sure if it will
    work for yours, but I know
    there are plenty of others out there online. The nice feature it has is I
    can turn on both laptop fans on high when I want to. It also displays the
    Temps in tiny icons on the taskbar so I can keep and eye on them. Below is
    what I just found on Google..... hope it helps.....

    Today, most laptops come bundled with software that is designed to serve as
    a temperature monitor or sensor that tracks and monitors your laptop’s
    temperature. Before you purchase a third party application or hardware,
    check to see whether your laptop’s manufacturer has such an application
    pre-installed for monitoring CPU temperature. Follow the program’s
    instructions to track your laptop’s temperature.

    Third Party Applications
    If you laptop does not come with a pre-installed application for monitoring
    its temperature, you can download a third party application. One such
    program is MobileMeter, a system monitoring application developed
    specifically for laptops. Free to download and use, it will track and
    monitor your CPU and hard drive’s temperature. One downside to using this
    application is that it does strain system resources.

    1.. Download the MobileMeter from Softpedia, and unzip the compressed
    file.
    2.. Open and run the executable file
    3.. MobileMeter will display your laptop’s current CPU and hard drive
    temperature as well as its processor frequency and battery power.

    Read more:
    http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/23919.aspx#ixzz1BVgrTeS0

  10. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "don" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Linea Recta" <> wrote in message
    >> "don" <> schreef in bericht
    >>
    >> I assume this is a program to control temperature settings? Does this
    >> work on other brands notebooks too?
    >> I have been coping with high GPU temperatures in the past.
    >> I would surely like to know a way to manipulate the max temp down.
    >> After several mainboard replacements the GPU temp again reaches up to 70
    >> C (Everest) nowadays.
    >>
    >> 17-inch Medion Akoya MODEL: MIM2300 (MD 96662)
    >> os: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

    > This program was written specifically for Dell so I am not sure if it will
    > work for yours, but I know
    > there are plenty of others out there online. The nice feature it has is I
    > can turn on both laptop fans on high when I want to. It also displays the
    > Temps in tiny icons on the taskbar so I can keep and eye on them. Below is
    > what I just found on Google..... hope it helps.....

    hi Don,

    I already monitor the temperatures (CPU, GPU, MB) with Everest. They are
    displayed as icons on the taskbar, hence I know GPU reaches temperatures up
    to 70 C.
    But monitoring is one thing, controlling is something else. I can't control
    the temperatures any way that I know of.
    As I wrote, my main concern is the Gpu temperature, not the Cpu's. And GPU
    is not mentioned in the article on your link...
    The notebook was not bundled with this kind of software.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    > The notebook was not bundled with this kind of software.

    Try the software I am using.... it may not be able to read your chip temps
    due to software issues but maybe it will let you turn on your fans manual...
    giving you a way to lower your gpu temp because when I turn my fans on high
    myself the temps drop pretty fast....

  12. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:4d374f52$0$32470$4all.nl,
    Linea Recta typed on Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:53:36 +0100:
    > hi Don,
    >
    > I already monitor the temperatures (CPU, GPU, MB) with Everest. They
    > are displayed as icons on the taskbar, hence I know GPU reaches
    > temperatures up to 70 C.
    > But monitoring is one thing, controlling is something else. I can't
    > control the temperatures any way that I know of.
    > As I wrote, my main concern is the Gpu temperature, not the Cpu's.
    > And GPU is not mentioned in the article on your link...
    > The notebook was not bundled with this kind of software.

    I hear tell most laptops can't be software controlled anyway. Although
    some can. I know one that you can control the fan speed, but I think it
    only works with the Intel 915GM chipsets. It's called "eeectl" and first
    developed for the Asus EeePC.