    floppy or CD? I am very unlucky when it comes to flashing BIOS chips
    and if CrashFree doesn't really does do what it claims, I will get
    something like BIOS Savior to cover my butt so to speak.
    oldgeezer, Dec 30, 2006

  2. oldgeezer

    Paul Guest

    oldgeezer wrote:
    > does this product really allow you to restore a crashed BIOS from a
    > floppy or CD? I am very unlucky when it comes to flashing BIOS chips
    > and if CrashFree doesn't really does do what it claims, I will get
    > something like BIOS Savior to cover my butt so to speak.

    BIOS chips are divided into two parts. The "Boot Block" is supposed
    to contain enough code, to allow bootstrapping into DOS, for a flash
    repair to the rest of the chip. So, in theory, BIOS flashing has
    been "crash free" for years. But because many companies insist on
    flash upgrading the Boot Block, as well as the main BIOS code block,
    the Boot Block seldom survives a flash failure. And that is why
    there are so many people who end up buying a replacement chip,
    from a place like badflash.com.

    So, while Asus may have a "CrashFree" feature, it would only work
    as long as the flasher doesn't erase the Boot Block. And while the
    BIOS Savior is certainly a viable option (as it gives you two
    completely separate chips to work with), ioss.com.tw has not
    introduced a version of BIOS Savior for the largest currently
    shipping BIOS chips, so they don't cover a very large percentage
    of all currently shipping motherboards. So badflash.com is your
    main insurance now. Just make sure you have a spare computer to
    use, while waiting for your replacement BIOS chip to arrive, if
    there is an accident.

    Paul
    Paul, Dec 30, 2006