Create disk image over AFP ?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, Feb 26, 2012.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    To backup my workstation drive onto my server, I wanted to have the
    server mount the workstation's drive over AFP and then use the disk
    utility to create a local (to the server) .dmg file (with compression on).

    The server had no problems mounting the desktop's drive with AFP. But
    Disk Utility did not show that drive in the list of drives.

    Is this an architectural/design restriction, or would Disk Util on the
    server be able to manipulate the desktop's disk if I enabled "root" on
    the desktop and used "root" credentials to mount the disk over AFP ?

    Would dd or some other command line utility be able to have the server
    perform a full disk backup to a compressed .dmg ? Or is there absolutely
    no way around to have the .dmg created from the desktop ?

    Creating compressed .dmg takes a lot of CPU so I'd rather have it run on
    the server. Goal is to have an image of drives that could be used to
    restore to a new computer after some sort of disaster.

    ..dmg is easier to recover from on any machine than the proprietary
    format used by time machine.
    JF Mezei, Feb 26, 2012

  2. In article <4f4a9f1f$0$24324$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > To backup my workstation drive onto my server, I wanted to have the
    > server mount the workstation's drive over AFP and then use the disk
    > utility to create a local (to the server) .dmg file (with compression on).
    >

    > The server had no problems mounting the desktop's drive with AFP. But
    > Disk Utility did not show that drive in the list of drives.
    >
    > Is this an architectural/design restriction, or would Disk Util on the
    > server be able to manipulate the desktop's disk if I enabled "root" on
    > the desktop and used "root" credentials to mount the disk over AFP ?
    >

    > Would dd or some other command line utility be able to have the server
    > perform a full disk backup to a compressed .dmg ? Or is there absolutely
    > no way around to have the .dmg created from the desktop ?
    >

    > Creating compressed .dmg takes a lot of CPU so I'd rather have it run on
    > the server. Goal is to have an image of drives that could be used to
    > restore to a new computer after some sort of disaster.
    >
    > .dmg is easier to recover from on any machine than the proprietary
    > format used by time machine.

    It sounds like you want to create a block-level copy from a logical
    filesystem. That's not going to work.

    Try it the other way around. Mount the server's drive on the
    workstation and have the workstation write its own disk image to the
    server.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Feb 27, 2012

  3. JF Mezei

    Bob Harris Guest

    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > To backup my workstation drive onto my server, I wanted to have the
    > server mount the workstation's drive over AFP and then use the disk
    > utility to create a local (to the server) .dmg file (with compression on).
    >

    > The server had no problems mounting the desktop's drive with AFP. But
    > Disk Utility did not show that drive in the list of drives.
    >
    > Is this an architectural/design restriction, or would Disk Util on the
    > server be able to manipulate the desktop's disk if I enabled "root" on
    > the desktop and used "root" credentials to mount the disk over AFP ?
    >

    > Would dd or some other command line utility be able to have the server
    > perform a full disk backup to a compressed .dmg ? Or is there absolutely
    > no way around to have the .dmg created from the desktop ?
    >

    > Creating compressed .dmg takes a lot of CPU so I'd rather have it run on
    > the server. Goal is to have an image of drives that could be used to
    > restore to a new computer after some sort of disaster.
    >
    > .dmg is easier to recover from on any machine than the proprietary
    > format used by time machine.

    You might try SuperDuper. While I do not use a compressed image,
    I have been using SuperDuper to backup into a .sparseimage on an
    AFP mounted server volume. I've been doing this for years.

    I've also used Carbon Copy Cloner to backup to another Mac over
    the network. However, in this case, it just copies all the files
    to a specified subdirectory tree on the remote Mac.

    And another network backup method is using CrashPlan (free if you
    use your own systems).
    Bob Harris, Feb 28, 2012