Crytek: Next-Gen Console Hardware Locked Down Next Year, Out In2012-2013, Epic Agrees

Discussion in 'ATI' started by parallax-scroll, Sep 20, 2009.

  1. During the AMD Vision event, we got the opportunity to talk to Mike
    Gamble, manager of CryTek's Engine Licensing Business. In a discussion
    that spanned from different APIs to challenges in adopting new
    platform.

    Due to expansion from a PC-only to a multi-platform engine, CryTek
    scored several new customers. At present time, CryTek has more
    thandozen oflicensees, who will all utilize the next-generation
    CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is set to debut next month [October], and
    there areloads of projects that will utilize that engine, especially
    fewsurprises for the consoles.

    On the pictures in this article, you can see the demo of the engine
    running DirectX 9 build, expandable with DirectX 10, 10.1 and 11
    extensions - depending on the adoption by the licensee. Thus, we'll
    refrain from commenting on the obligatory ATI's "DirectX 11 Gaming"
    cardboard, because the information there wasn't correct.

    Mike told us that the capabilities of DirectX9 [when properly
    optimized] are brilliant for customers that want to develop a title
    for current generation of consoles and PCs. The customers that are
    targeting next-generation console cycle and the PC should build upon
    the strengths of DirectX 11 API, given that most of next-generation
    console hardware will be locked down sometime next year, and pushed
    out in 2012-2013 frame. We got the same feedback from Epic in the
    matter of Unreal Engine 4, and the time will tell can CryTek develop
    into a successful engine developer as well. So far, the work on Crysis
    2 is progressing with more impact on gameplay than ever before.

    Our take is that CryEngine 3 simply blew our minds with the realistic
    water physics and effects on the "camera" viewpoint... it was really
    interesting to feel the immersion effect, so the guys and girls in
    CryTek are looking good to win the award for the best looking water of
    them all.

    http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/9/11/cryteks-cryengine-30-set-to-debut-next-month.aspx

    parallax-scroll, Sep 20, 2009

  2. parallax-scroll

    Miles Bader Guest

    Re: Crytek: Next-Gen Console Hardware Locked Down Next Year, Out In 2012-2013, Epic Agrees

    Geez, that sounds like a press-release...

    -miles

    --
    "1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"

    Miles Bader, Sep 20, 2009

  3. On Sep 20, 1:18 am, "Jim" <> wrote:
    > MS is going use theWiistradegy and turn the 720 into a Celeron300A
    > (moddable to 450MHZ) and Intel i740.  Sony to not be outdone will buy NexGen
    > from AMD so they can they have the only console with a NexGen CPU.  It will
    > use use a Nx686 180MHZ (PR233) and S3 Virge with a PCI slot for a Voodoo1
    > upgrade.  Nintendo will just duct tape 2Donkey Kongarcade cabinets
    > together (dual Z80s!) and call it a day.

    LOL.

    parallax-scroll, Sep 20, 2009
  4. parallax-scroll

    Guest

    Where's that ONLIVE bs in all of this?

    Didn't they say Crysis was running?

    Yeah sure ok

    , Sep 20, 2009
  5. parallax-scroll

    alMIGHTY Guest

    On Sep 20, 1:25 am, parallax-scroll <> wrote:
    > During the AMD Vision event, we got the opportunity to talk to Mike
    > Gamble, manager of CryTek's Engine Licensing Business. In a discussion
    > that spanned from different APIs to challenges in adopting new
    > platform.
    >
    > Due to expansion from a PC-only to a multi-platform engine, CryTek
    > scored several new customers. At present time, CryTek has more
    > thandozen oflicensees, who will all utilize the next-generation
    > CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is set to debut next month [October], and
    > there areloads of projects that will utilize that engine, especially
    > fewsurprises for the consoles.
    >
    > On the pictures in this article, you can see the demo of the engine
    > running DirectX 9 build, expandable with DirectX 10, 10.1 and 11
    > extensions - depending on the adoption by the licensee. Thus, we'll
    > refrain from commenting on the obligatory ATI's "DirectX 11 Gaming"
    > cardboard, because the information there wasn't correct.
    >
    > Mike told us that the capabilities of DirectX9 [when properly
    > optimized] are brilliant for customers that want to develop a title
    > for current generation of consoles and PCs. The customers that are
    > targeting next-generation console cycle and the PC should build upon
    > the strengths of DirectX 11 API, given that most of next-generation
    > console hardware will be locked down sometime next year, and pushed
    > out in 2012-2013 frame. We got the same feedback from Epic in the
    > matter of Unreal Engine 4, and the time will tell can CryTek develop
    > into a successful engine developer as well. So far, the work on Crysis
    > 2 is progressing with more impact on gameplay than ever before.
    >
    > Our take is that CryEngine 3 simply blew our minds with the realistic
    > water physics and effects on the "camera" viewpoint... it was really
    > interesting to feel the immersion effect, so the guys and girls in
    > CryTek are looking good to win the award for the best looking water of
    > them all.
    >
    > http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/9/11/cryteks-cryengine-30-s...

    Amen! Xbox 720 in 2012? I'm down with that.

    alMIGHTY, Sep 21, 2009
  6. parallax-scroll

    alMIGHTY Guest

    On Sep 20, 2:13 am, "Tom" <> wrote:
    > "parallax-scroll" <> wrote in message

    > > During the AMD Vision event, we got the opportunity to talk to Mike
    > > Gamble, manager of CryTek's Engine Licensing Business. In a discussion
    > > that spanned from different APIs to challenges in adopting new
    > > platform.

    > > Due to expansion from a PC-only to a multi-platform engine, CryTek
    > > scored several new customers. At present time, CryTek has more
    > > thandozen oflicensees, who will all utilize the next-generation
    > > CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is set to debut next month [October], and
    > > there areloads of projects that will utilize that engine, especially
    > > fewsurprises for the consoles.

    > > On the pictures in this article, you can see the demo of the engine
    > > running DirectX 9 build, expandable with DirectX 10, 10.1 and 11
    > > extensions - depending on the adoption by the licensee. Thus, we'll
    > > refrain from commenting on the obligatory ATI's "DirectX 11 Gaming"
    > > cardboard, because the information there wasn't correct.

    > > Mike told us that the capabilities of DirectX9 [when properly
    > > optimized] are brilliant for customers that want to develop a title
    > > for current generation of consoles and PCs. The customers that are
    > > targeting next-generation console cycle and the PC should build upon
    > > the strengths of DirectX 11 API, given that most of next-generation
    > > console hardware will be locked down sometime next year, and pushed
    > > out in 2012-2013 frame. We got the same feedback from Epic in the
    > > matter of Unreal Engine 4, and the time will tell can CryTek develop
    > > into a successful engine developer as well. So far, the work on Crysis
    > > 2 is progressing with more impact on gameplay than ever before.

    > > Our take is that CryEngine 3 simply blew our minds with the realistic
    > > water physics and effects on the "camera" viewpoint... it was really
    > > interesting to feel the immersion effect, so the guys and girls in
    > > CryTek are looking good to win the award for the best looking water of
    > > them all.

    > >http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/9/11/cryteks-cryengine-30-s...

    > A little off-topic, but anyway:
    >
    > I am seriously thinking of getting a very high end gaming rig (I am tiredof
    > nothing getting better on the 360 for looks)

    Which is why we need another console generation to start sooner rather
    than later! I take back my previous message in this thread! 2011,
    gentlemen... please!

    > and I want RPGs

    It doesn't seem like there are very many of those on any platform
    besides the DS.

    alMIGHTY, Sep 21, 2009
  7. parallax-scroll

    alMIGHTY Guest

    On Sep 20, 9:40 am, "" <> wrote:
    > Where's that ONLIVE bs in all of this?
    >
    > Didn't they say Crysis was running?
    >
    > Yeah sure ok

    I tried to warn you way back when not to get your hopes up for that
    bullshit...

    alMIGHTY, Sep 21, 2009
  8. parallax-scroll

    alMIGHTY Guest

    On Sep 21, 12:31 am, "Jim" <> wrote:
    > OnLive is going to use the IP over avian transport protocol.http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/104393
    > You play your game on a blank screen then they send the video on a memory
    > card.

    LOL. Imagine trying to play an entire game like that.

    alMIGHTY, Sep 21, 2009
  9. parallax-scroll

    Mitch Guest

    alMIGHTY wrote:
    > On Sep 21, 12:31 am, "Jim" <> wrote:
    >> OnLive is going to use the IP over avian transport protocol.http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/104393
    >> You play your game on a blank screen then they send the video on a memory
    >> card.

    > LOL. Imagine trying to play an entire game like that.

    It would work for chess. :)

    Mitch, Sep 21, 2009
  10. parallax-scroll

    Memnoch Guest

    Memnoch, Sep 21, 2009
  11. On Sep 21, 1:52 pm, Memnoch
    <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:02:57 -0700 (PDT), alMIGHTY <nathaniel.k....@gmail..com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >>http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/9/11/cryteks-cryengine-30-s....

    > >Amen! Xbox 720 in 2012? I'm down with that.

    > Return of the Red Ring of Death Part 2 Amended.

    I would be very surprised if Microsoft didn't take their time to make
    sure something like that didn't happen again.

    The alMIGHTY N, Sep 21, 2009
  12. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > I am seriously thinking of getting a very high end gaming rig (I am
    > tired of nothing getting better on the 360 for looks) and I want RPGs
    > and good RTS game, there are too few for me. So when I read about the
    > DX11 coming out on ATI's next 5000 series cards, I began holding back,
    > because Nvidia will follow suit, and though typically more expensive,
    > Nvidia almost always has issues solved with the driver support whereas
    > ATI take too much time on newer cards.
    >
    > Having said this and reading what this article states, I am now
    > wondering if I should wait for those cards simply because it doesn't
    > seem that DX11 is going to be an issue for necessity for a few years to
    > come; hell, many current games still use DX9.

    ATI's drivers aren't that much of a problem these days. For the most
    part, both ATI's and Nvidia's drivers are just "cheat engines", where
    they detect which game you're playing and they setup the video
    parameters properly for each game. So there's always a new Catalyst or
    Geforce driver a few months down the road that will update the support
    for any problems in any particular game.

    As for DirectX 11, it's only an issue if you're running Windows Vista or
    Windows 7. DirectX 9 is what runs on XP and it'll never be updated.
    That's why games still have a DirectX 9 mode. The features that set
    DirectX 10, 10.1, and 11 apart from 9 are turned off in XP. It's much
    like disabling graphics features in a game to get better game play.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 22, 2009
  13. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    The alMIGHTY N wrote:
    > On Sep 21, 1:52 pm, Memnoch
    > <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:02:57 -0700 (PDT), alMIGHTY <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Amen! Xbox 720 in 2012? I'm down with that.

    >> Return of the Red Ring of Death Part 2 Amended.

    > I would be very surprised if Microsoft didn't take their time to make
    > sure something like that didn't happen again.

    I'd be very surprised if Microsoft did fix it for the next time. Why
    break a tradition now?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 22, 2009
  14. On Sep 21, 5:21 pm, "Tom" <> wrote:
    > "alMIGHTY" <> wrote in message

    > > On Sep 20, 2:13 am, "Tom" <> wrote:
    > >> "parallax-scroll" <> wrote in message

    > >> A little off-topic, but anyway:

    > >> I am seriously thinking of getting a very high end gaming rig (I am tired
    > >> of
    > >> nothing getting better on the 360 for looks)

    > > Which is why we need another console generation to start sooner rather
    > > than later! I take back my previous message in this thread! 2011,
    > > gentlemen... please!

    > I was really hoping for a 2010 release as 2011 is a bit far off, so that is
    > long enough for me to get a good rig now. I can understand why MS would wait
    > longer as to extend their profits from their games/accessories and maybe get
    > the Xbox series closer to being in the black (if if doesn't get there when
    > it is all said and done). I just will wait for Windows 7 and see what Nvidia
    > has for their DX11 answer. If ATI would pick up speed on how fast they get
    > quality drivers released, I would go with them since they are typically
    > cheaper and they arelready to release their DX11  cards within a week or so
    > from now.

    I would also prefer the next console generation start next holiday
    season but I know that's not happening so I'm aiming for the next
    logical date. :)

    Regardless, I refuse to get back into PC gaming at the "hardcore"
    level. I have much better things on which to spend my hard-earned
    money. I've been getting some downloads, though, like the Monkey
    Island remake, Telltale's various series, World of Goo, etc.

    > >> and I want RPGs

    > > It doesn't seem like there are very many of those on any platform
    > > besides the DS.

    > There are more RPG and RTS games on PC than on any console at this time.

    The DS isn't a console... ;-)

    What RPGs have come out for the PC in the recent months?

    The alMIGHTY N, Sep 22, 2009
  15. On Sep 22, 12:33 am, Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    > The alMIGHTY N wrote:
    > > On Sep 21, 1:52 pm, Memnoch
    > > <> wrote:
    > >> Return of the Red Ring of Death Part 2 Amended.

    > > I would be very surprised if Microsoft didn't take their time to make
    > > sure something like that didn't happen again.

    > I'd be very surprised if Microsoft did fix it for the next time. Why
    > break a tradition now?

    Tradition?

    The alMIGHTY N, Sep 22, 2009
  16. parallax-scroll

    Eman Guest

    On Sep 22, 10:29 am, The alMIGHTY N <> wrote:

    > What RPGs have come out for the PC in the recent months?

    Only MMORPGs, Aion and Champions Online in the last few weeks.

    Eman, Sep 22, 2009
  17. On Sep 22, 11:30 am, Eman <> wrote:
    > On Sep 22, 10:29 am, The alMIGHTY N <> wrote:
    >
    > > What RPGs have come out for the PC in the recent months?

    > Only MMORPGs, Aion and Champions Online in the last few weeks.

    So, yeah, more but they're all MMO instead of your standard fare
    single-player RPG...

    The alMIGHTY N, Sep 22, 2009
  18. parallax-scroll

    YKhan Guest

    On Sep 22, 11:08 am, The alMIGHTY N <> wrote:
    > On Sep 22, 12:33 am, Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    >
    > > The alMIGHTY N wrote:
    > > > I would be very surprised if Microsoft didn't take their time to make
    > > > sure something like that didn't happen again.

    > > I'd be very surprised if Microsoft did fix it for the next time. Why
    > > break a tradition now?

    > Tradition?

    Yes, you know the "Microsoft Tradition". A tradition of mediocrity,
    and not giving a crap, and even using that as an marketing point. :)

    Yousuf Khan

    YKhan, Sep 22, 2009
  19. parallax-scroll

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, YKhan <> wrote:
    >On Sep 22, 11:08=A0am, The alMIGHTY N <> wrote:

    >> > I'd be very surprised if Microsoft did fix it for the next time. Why
    >> > break a tradition now?

    >> Tradition?

    >Yes, you know the "Microsoft Tradition". A tradition of mediocrity,
    >and not giving a crap, and even using that as an marketing point. :)
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    Thats not a tradition by Microsoft, thats a Corporate culture.

    GMAN, Sep 23, 2009
  20. parallax-scroll

    YKhan Guest

    On Sep 22, 4:42 pm, "Tom" <> wrote:
    > I know, but DX11 hardware will run the previous iterations of DX down to
    > 9.0. But, when Windows 7 comes out, XP will be gone and I am not going to
    > load an OS (XP) that been out for 8 years now. Time to move on to 7 and it
    > has been getting rave reviews from some reputable sites, unlike that
    > disaster called Vista..

    That's of course upto you, whether you upgrade your OS or not. I'd say
    if DX11 allows more work to be offloaded into the GPU, then that will
    be worth it, even without any visual enhancements. Right now it looks
    like AMD will be the only ones with DX11 GPUs for several months, into
    next year. Nvidia spent a lot of time and effort trying to avoid DX11,
    they only recently brought out a DX10.1 card, and that's for their
    mobility range.

    Yousuf Khan

    YKhan, Sep 25, 2009