    distribute if it comes pre-installed.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, May 21, 2011

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Chris S. Guest

    "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just read a somewhat older posting that OpenCL/nvidia drivers would come
    > standard with Windows 7, is this indeed true ?
    >
    > Further question:
    >
    > Does windows 7 come with cuda drivers ?
    >
    > If not will windows 8 come with cuda drivers ?
    >
    > ^
    >
    > For software developers this is a bit interesting, less software to
    > distribute if it comes pre-installed.
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    A 10 second Bing......

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_directcompute.html

    Chris
    Chris S., May 21, 2011

  3. "Chris S." <> wrote in message

    > "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I just read a somewhat older posting that OpenCL/nvidia drivers would
    >> come standard with Windows 7, is this indeed true ?
    >>
    >> Further question:
    >>
    >> Does windows 7 come with cuda drivers ?
    >>
    >> If not will windows 8 come with cuda drivers ?
    >>
    >> ^
    >>
    >> For software developers this is a bit interesting, less software to
    >> distribute if it comes pre-installed.
    >>
    >> Bye,
    >> Skybuck.
    >>

    > A 10 second Bing......

    Hm.. I'll take your word for it... I had so many webbrowsers open didn't
    dare to risk losing them again because of bad websites.

    Probably didn't even think of googling/binging it... it happens ! ;) =D

    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_directcompute.html

    However this website does not seem to answer my question.

    Direct Compute is Microsoft's own CUDA and I think it's different from
    NVIDIA's CUDA... not sure though.

    DirectCompute API versus CUDA API ?!?

    ^ Two different things ? ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, May 22, 2011
  4. Skybuck Flying

    Tony Guest

    On May 22, 3:17 am, "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote:
    > "Chris S." <> wrote in message

    - Direct Compute is Microsoft's own CUDA and I think it's different
    from -
    - NVIDIA's CUDA... not sure though. -

    I am not at all into any of this, but reading about it I became
    convinced that you are mixing up the two concepts: DirectCompute is
    not another version of CUDA - CUDA is a Chip technology and
    DirectComputing is the API for programming such a chip. They belong
    together - they would be completely useless without each other, but
    different concepts.

    If you know about terms like High and Low level language, you will see
    that these are levels of abstraction away from the chip - I am sure we
    all remember the days when everybody tried to beat everybody else over
    the head with their own 'new' application that was often referred to
    as being developed by way of programming some device 'directly' (i.e.)
    by subverting the BIOS of that device. It could always be shown to be
    fast, but sadly not a very stable way of handling things, because
    everybody had to invent the soup-bowl from scratch every time.

    So now, it would seem, we are still being beat over the head by a
    completely new level of abstraction that might actually turn out to be
    useful. High level Programming Language using a layer of abstraction
    that is designed to give Low level instruction to a chip that is
    designed to specifically execute such instructions (perhaps not using
    any BIOS support at all?) Then probably co-operating with a standard
    partner-chip that supposedly is relaying on its BIOS.?

    Gee, Skybuck, I also don't realy know, but this I am sure of, we are
    dealing with a special sort of API (really a CPI) designed to instruct
    a special sort of chip. So, different concepts altogether.

    Tony. . .
    Tony, May 22, 2011
  5. Well to start with nvidia fails to explain what CUDA stands for in their
    documents.

    But I did see it during a presentation and it's also on wikipedia.

    It stands for something like:

    Compute Unified Device Architecture or something.

    But that name is misleading.

    CUDA is by now many things, it's an architecture that spans hardware and
    software.

    It's an
    piece of hardware/device
    It's a driver.
    It's an instruction set also called ptx.
    It's an API.
    It's a high level language.

    Ofcourse I am referring to the CUDA API/runtime libraries.

    Like cudart.dll

    Which seems to stand for: cuda runtime dynamic link library.

    And I am wondering if it will be supplied standard with windows.

    It's like opengl32.dll.

    Perhaps also some drivers (which might be needed for cudart.dll) for
    graphics cards.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, May 22, 2011
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Jim Guest

    > And I am wondering if it will be supplied standard with windows.
    >
    > It's like opengl32.dll.
    >
    > Perhaps also some drivers (which might be needed for cudart.dll) for
    > graphics cards.
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    I think NV includes OpenCL/CUDA with their drivers. The drivers MS provides
    with Windows and on Windows Update may not have them but only noobs use
    those. :)
    AMD recently started bundling OpenCL in the Catalyst Suit.
    MS might include Intel's/AMD's driver for OpenCL (and CUDA when the x86 port
    is done) on CPU but those probably will be to slow to be useful.
    Jim, May 23, 2011
  7. "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > > And I am wondering if it will be supplied standard with windows.
    >>
    >> It's like opengl32.dll.
    >>
    >> Perhaps also some drivers (which might be needed for cudart.dll) for
    >> graphics cards.
    >>
    >> Bye,
    >> Skybuck.

    > I think NV includes OpenCL/CUDA with their drivers. The drivers MS
    > provides with Windows and on Windows Update may not have them but only
    > noobs use those. :)
    > AMD recently started bundling OpenCL in the Catalyst Suit.
    > MS might include Intel's/AMD's driver for OpenCL (and CUDA when the
    > x86 port is done) on CPU but those probably will be to slow to be
    > useful.

    Interesting, I have been running SETI at home and the later release's
    will run on the Nvidia GPU's, or at least crunch numbers on them. Might
    want to look that up for more info. Looks like they off load some tasks
    on the GPU thru OpenCL.
    And I just have a lowly 9400GT nvidia card.

    Cheers
    Martin Riddle, Jul 1, 2011