Cyber Crime Evolution

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Anna.Banks.group.com@gmail.com, Jan 1, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Chances are high that you have received a phish in your e-mail within
    the few months or even last week. By the time this book is published
    and into your hands, the operations that involve phishing scams will
    have accelerated due to aggressive malware propagation (trojans,
    viruses), automated botnets, and the overall infrastructure that has
    been established by these cyber-scammers.

    So let's step back for a moment. Our world has changed significantly
    since I was a kid. Just 10 years ago, the sophistication of hackers
    and the tools available to them were somewhat limited from both the
    national and international security perspective.Yes, there was cyber-
    crime, no denying that, but not at the audacious level we are
    experiencing today. Breaking into computer systems was motivated by
    the need for exploration, information, and education.That was the
    world of the late-night, for-fun hackers, which are now but a memory
    (who would have thought we would be nostalgic for them one day!).

    The hackers of the past are likely now working as information security
    professionals, attempting to close the very same Pandora's box they
    contributed to opening not too long ago.The knowledge contributed by
    hackers today, also known as security researchers, are molded by
    ethics and discipline; they are reticent to release their findings,
    not because of "controversial" activity but because of the
    responsibilities required to protect this double-edged sword. People
    hackers and researchers call script kiddies are the principal breed of
    criminals on the Internet today.They are usually young and not
    terribly creative or skilled at hacking, but they have three
    attributes that make them extremely dangerous: time, persistence, and
    proof-of-concept code written by the creative and skilled security
    researcher. These "kids" can and will scan the entire Internet,
    breaking into computers (also known as owning a system) and using your
    personal machines inappropriately and arbitrarily for their own
    purposes.

    Ten years ago, most hackers were not looking at breaking into Windows
    desktops (since most of them ran on a 14.4kbps modem); they were
    usually targeting Windows NT and various flavors of UNIX
    systems.Typically targeting corporate and government computers,
    libraries, and universities, most cyber acts were usually performed
    with benign intentions and curiosity as the primary motives.

    With the recent proliferation of broadband, the targets have shifted
    to literally anything and everything that is vulnerable. According to
    the Internet Storm Center (http://isc.sans.org), the average time for
    a default unpatched Windows box to survive uncompromised on the
    Internet is 20 minutes. But why break into my Windows computer if I
    have nothing valuable on there? The intentions behind of most "break-
    ins" today are utilitarian in nature, ranging from something as dense
    as using your machine for hard drive space and bandwidth to store and
    trade music files (MP3s) to supporting spammers' and phishers'
    activities (most of these compromises are in the form of automated
    malware).

    --- Thank You ---

    http://www.fx-vista.com

    , Jan 1, 2008