D845GBV on-board graphics driver, Win2000

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Tom, May 25, 2004.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hi,

    I have a D845GBV motherboard that I have been happy with, using with
    Win2000 and the on-board graphics. I remember when I first got it, that I
    had a some problem with it, and had to download something from the net to
    get it working, but I didn't take any notes. Now after re-partitioning and
    reinstalling Win2000 I can't get it working again in more than basic VGA
    (16 color) mode.

    Details:
    I install my W2K w/SP2 from CD, everything is fine. I install drivers from
    the Intel Express Installer CD. Everthing installs fine, except the
    graphics driver message is something like "install failed - component
    error".

    I went to the Intel support site, download the latest INFINST_ENU and
    graphics driver, and follow instructions. The INFINST_ENU gets an error
    during install, something abount component missing. If I go into the
    archives and get an older version of INFINST_ENU (v3.2), it installs OK.

    After the INF updates, I install the graphics driver, picking 82845 video
    chip. After rebooting, I'm still stuck with 16 bit color (right-click
    on desktop, settings tab, no choices above 16 color available). If I go
    into device manager and check driver status, it says "code 10 - driver did
    not start".

    It shouldn't matter, but the BIOS version is P17, and I haven't updated
    the BIOS or changed settings since the last time the system worked in
    better resolution/colors in Win2000 - a week ago. Also, I have no problem
    in Linux (Fedora core 1/2).

    Anyway, I've spent hours/days on this, so any thoughts will be appreciated.

    Tom, May 25, 2004

  2. Tom

    NewsPoster Guest

    Tom,
    I had a similar problem. In my case, my machine had garbeled screen
    after I booted up. WIN2K would not have problems booting in safe mode,
    however if the display driver is enabled it would not boot. I thought
    it was a corrupt driver and tried reinstalling the latest version, but
    would not help. So I reinstalled W2K and still had the same problem.

    I spoke with Intel technical support and they said that they are
    lately receiving a lot of calls on the boards based on this chipset
    and could be because of a faulty 82845 chip. They have asked me to
    send the board, so that they could send me a replacement.

    Sorry, I could not help you fix the problem but atleast the above
    information may help you get a warranty replacement.

    NewsPoster, Jun 15, 2004