D865GBF Cannot detect both IDE channels

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Buggy, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Buggy

    Buggy Guest

    Hi,

    i am having a strange problem with my D865GBF. It is having trouble
    detecting BOTH primary and secondary IDE channels at the same time.

    In the BIOS, there are 3 settings for the IDE properties, Disable,
    Enhanced and Legacy.

    When i choose Enhanced, only the 2 Secondary IDEs will be detected,
    they are
    NEC 2500A and a BTC CDRW.

    When i choose Legacy, only the 2 primary IDEs will be detected. they
    are Maxtor 80gb and another 80gb hd.

    right now i am operating in the legacy mode. however, the secondary
    IDE drives DO work. however, i cannot turn on the DMA mode for the NEC
    2500A, thus limiting it's speed of operation. i also have the yellow
    exclamation mark in the Device Manager next to my Secondary IDE
    Channel

    Intel P4 2.4Ghz
    512mb DDR 400
    On board graphics
    On board audio

    I really appreciate it if someone can offer some assistance.

    Thank you!

    Buggy, Jun 4, 2004

  2. Buggy

    Bob Bailin Guest

    "Buggy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > i am having a strange problem with my D865GBF. It is having trouble
    > detecting BOTH primary and secondary IDE channels at the same time.
    >
    > In the BIOS, there are 3 settings for the IDE properties, Disable,
    > Enhanced and Legacy.
    >
    > When i choose Enhanced, only the 2 Secondary IDEs will be detected,
    > they are
    > NEC 2500A and a BTC CDRW.
    >
    > When i choose Legacy, only the 2 primary IDEs will be detected. they
    > are Maxtor 80gb and another 80gb hd.
    >
    > right now i am operating in the legacy mode. however, the secondary
    > IDE drives DO work. however, i cannot turn on the DMA mode for the NEC
    > 2500A, thus limiting it's speed of operation. i also have the yellow
    > exclamation mark in the Device Manager next to my Secondary IDE
    > Channel
    >
    > Intel P4 2.4Ghz
    > 512mb DDR 400
    > On board graphics
    > On board audio
    >

    > I really appreciate it if someone can offer some assistance.
    >
    > Thank you!

    What version of Windows?

    What BIOS version?

    Are you using any SATA drives?

    Are all the devices detected by the BIOS, if not by Windows?

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Buggy

    daytripper Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:55:19 GMT, "Bob Bailin" <>
    wrote:

    >"Buggy" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> i am having a strange problem with my D865GBF. It is having trouble
    >> detecting BOTH primary and secondary IDE channels at the same time.
    >>
    >> In the BIOS, there are 3 settings for the IDE properties, Disable,
    >> Enhanced and Legacy.
    >>
    >> When i choose Enhanced, only the 2 Secondary IDEs will be detected,
    >> they are
    >> NEC 2500A and a BTC CDRW.
    >>
    >> When i choose Legacy, only the 2 primary IDEs will be detected. they
    >> are Maxtor 80gb and another 80gb hd.
    >>
    >> right now i am operating in the legacy mode. however, the secondary
    >> IDE drives DO work. however, i cannot turn on the DMA mode for the NEC
    >> 2500A, thus limiting it's speed of operation. i also have the yellow
    >> exclamation mark in the Device Manager next to my Secondary IDE
    >> Channel
    >>
    >> Intel P4 2.4Ghz
    >> 512mb DDR 400
    >> On board graphics
    >> On board audio
    >>

    >> I really appreciate it if someone can offer some assistance.
    >>
    >> Thank you!

    >What version of Windows?
    >
    >What BIOS version?
    >
    >Are you using any SATA drives?
    >
    >Are all the devices detected by the BIOS, if not by Windows?
    >
    >Bob

    If IDE, are the drives jumpered for "master/slave", or for "cable select"?

    And do the cables match the above?

    daytripper, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Buggy

    Buggy Guest

    daytripper <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:55:19 GMT, "Bob Bailin" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Buggy" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> i am having a strange problem with my D865GBF. It is having trouble
    > >> detecting BOTH primary and secondary IDE channels at the same time.
    > >>
    > >> In the BIOS, there are 3 settings for the IDE properties, Disable,
    > >> Enhanced and Legacy.
    > >>
    > >> When i choose Enhanced, only the 2 Secondary IDEs will be detected,
    > >> they are
    > >> NEC 2500A and a BTC CDRW.
    > >>
    > >> When i choose Legacy, only the 2 primary IDEs will be detected. they
    > >> are Maxtor 80gb and another 80gb hd.
    > >>
    > >> right now i am operating in the legacy mode. however, the secondary
    > >> IDE drives DO work. however, i cannot turn on the DMA mode for the NEC
    > >> 2500A, thus limiting it's speed of operation. i also have the yellow
    > >> exclamation mark in the Device Manager next to my Secondary IDE
    > >> Channel
    > >>
    > >> Intel P4 2.4Ghz
    > >> 512mb DDR 400
    > >> On board graphics
    > >> On board audio
    > >>

    > >> I really appreciate it if someone can offer some assistance.
    > >>
    > >> Thank you!

    > >What version of Windows?
    > >
    > >What BIOS version?
    > >
    > >Are you using any SATA drives?
    > >
    > >Are all the devices detected by the BIOS, if not by Windows?
    > >
    > >Bob
    > >

    > If IDE, are the drives jumpered for "master/slave", or for "cable select"?
    >
    > And do the cables match the above?

    Thank you guys for the kind attention

    I am running Windows XP pro

    BIOS is BF86510A.86A.0085.P15

    They are all IDE drives. the drives are actually ALL usable in
    windows. but the secondary ides are NOT detect in the BIOS(legacy
    mode). (i am bothering with it is because i think this is limiting the
    secondary IDEs to PIO and not DMA mode)

    The jumpers are set for master/slave, no CS settings.

    the cables are all matched.

    I am at my wits end. =0(

    Buggy

    Buggy, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Buggy

    Bob Bailin Guest

    > > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:55:19 GMT, "Bob Bailin"

    <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > >"Buggy" <> wrote in message

    NEC

    > > >What version of Windows?
    > > >
    > > >What BIOS version?
    > > >
    > > >Are you using any SATA drives?
    > > >
    > > >Are all the devices detected by the BIOS, if not by Windows?
    > > >
    > > >Bob
    > > >

    > > If IDE, are the drives jumpered for "master/slave", or for "cable

    select"?

    > > And do the cables match the above?

    > Thank you guys for the kind attention
    >
    > I am running Windows XP pro
    >
    > BIOS is BF86510A.86A.0085.P15
    >
    > They are all IDE drives. the drives are actually ALL usable in
    > windows. but the secondary ides are NOT detect in the BIOS(legacy
    > mode). (i am bothering with it is because i think this is limiting the
    > secondary IDEs to PIO and not DMA mode)
    >
    > The jumpers are set for master/slave, no CS settings.
    >
    > the cables are all matched.
    >
    > I am at my wits end. =0(
    >
    > Buggy

    First of all, avoid Legacy mode altogether. It's only appropriate for
    older OS'es that don't know how to deal with a SATA interface,
    such as Win98.

    Disconnect the two drives on the secondary IDE.
    Make sure the jumpers on the two hd are set to master on the
    first, slave on the 2nd, or use CS on both (works well with most
    modern cables). Make sure you're using an 80-wire cable.
    Make sure the BIOS detection is set at AUTO for all channels,
    and that the two drives show up in the BIOS.

    Make sure you've installed the Microsoft SATA XP supplement
    from the motherboard driver CD, even though you aren't using
    any SATA drives just now.

    Make sure you've installed the latest Intel chipset driver package.

    At this point, you should have two fully functional hard disks working.

    Connect ONE of the two remaining secondary IDE devices as Master.
    Make sure it shows up in the BIOS.

    Boot up WinXP and make sure it's detected and is running using DMA.

    At this point, you should have 3 fully functional IDE devices working.

    Finally, add the 4th device as secondary slave. Make sure it shows
    up in the BIOS. If adding this 4th device screws everything up, it's
    because some ATAPI devices don't like to be running as a slave with
    another ATAPI device as master. If this is the case, move the 2nd
    hard disk from primary/slave to secondary/master, and move the
    secondary/master to primary/slave, so that both ATAPI devices are
    slaves on each channel.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Buggy

    Buggy Guest

    > First of all, avoid Legacy mode altogether. It's only appropriate for
    > older OS'es that don't know how to deal with a SATA interface,
    > such as Win98.
    >
    > Disconnect the two drives on the secondary IDE.
    > Make sure the jumpers on the two hd are set to master on the
    > first, slave on the 2nd, or use CS on both (works well with most
    > modern cables). Make sure you're using an 80-wire cable.
    > Make sure the BIOS detection is set at AUTO for all channels,
    > and that the two drives show up in the BIOS.
    >
    > Make sure you've installed the Microsoft SATA XP supplement
    > from the motherboard driver CD, even though you aren't using
    > any SATA drives just now.
    >
    > Make sure you've installed the latest Intel chipset driver package.
    >
    > At this point, you should have two fully functional hard disks working.

    Hi,

    firstly, i would like to thank you for your assitance.

    however, i encountered a problem at the first step of your
    instructions. After disconnecting the secondary IDE and switching to
    enhanced mode, my HDs are no longer detected. I tried the Master/Slave
    setting. I tried to disconnect the slave drive and then tested the
    first drive with master and CS. neither worked. it seems the problem
    boils down to Enhaced mohde does not detect my HDs.

    As for the SATA supplement. I don't believe there is such a driver in
    the "interl express installer CD." On the intel website there is a
    "SATA QFE udpate." i am not sure if that's the thing i am supposed to
    DL, but it requires PW/LN which is apparently on a flyer inside the
    box which i could not find.

    Rob

    Buggy, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Buggy

    Bob Bailin Guest

    "Buggy" <> wrote in message
    > > First of all, avoid Legacy mode altogether. It's only appropriate for
    > > older OS'es that don't know how to deal with a SATA interface,
    > > such as Win98.
    > >
    > > Disconnect the two drives on the secondary IDE.
    > > Make sure the jumpers on the two hd are set to master on the
    > > first, slave on the 2nd, or use CS on both (works well with most
    > > modern cables). Make sure you're using an 80-wire cable.
    > > Make sure the BIOS detection is set at AUTO for all channels,
    > > and that the two drives show up in the BIOS.
    > >
    > > Make sure you've installed the Microsoft SATA XP supplement
    > > from the motherboard driver CD, even though you aren't using
    > > any SATA drives just now.
    > >
    > > Make sure you've installed the latest Intel chipset driver package.
    > >
    > > At this point, you should have two fully functional hard disks working.
    > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > firstly, i would like to thank you for your assitance.
    >
    > however, i encountered a problem at the first step of your
    > instructions. After disconnecting the secondary IDE and switching to
    > enhanced mode, my HDs are no longer detected. I tried the Master/Slave
    > setting. I tried to disconnect the slave drive and then tested the
    > first drive with master and CS. neither worked. it seems the problem
    > boils down to Enhaced mohde does not detect my HDs.
    >
    > As for the SATA supplement. I don't believe there is such a driver in
    > the "interl express installer CD." On the intel website there is a
    > "SATA QFE udpate." i am not sure if that's the thing i am supposed to
    > DL, but it requires PW/LN which is apparently on a flyer inside the
    > box which i could not find.
    >
    > Rob

    Go into BIOS setup and restore the default BIOS settings. Remove all
    cards from the PCI slots so that all you have is video, keyboard, mouse
    and one hard disk (no floppy). Disable fast boot in the BIOS.

    You should now see the one hard disk when you boot. If not, then try
    the other hard disk by itself or try another 80-wire cable. Make sure
    the cables are plugged into the mb properly (I don't remember if they're
    keyed). Make absolutely sure you're jumpering the hard drives
    properly, that you're not reading the pin arrangement upside down.
    See if the drives are recognized in another system, if possible.

    It's possible that you have a defective mb if it fails these simple tests.

    Please note that Intel released BIOS P17 for their 865G motherboards a
    couple of days ago. You might want to try flashing this new BIOS to
    see if it makes any difference at all.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, Jun 7, 2004
  8. Buggy

    Buggy Guest

    > Go into BIOS setup and restore the default BIOS settings. Remove all
    > cards from the PCI slots so that all you have is video, keyboard, mouse
    > and one hard disk (no floppy). Disable fast boot in the BIOS.
    >
    > You should now see the one hard disk when you boot. If not, then try
    > the other hard disk by itself or try another 80-wire cable. Make sure
    > the cables are plugged into the mb properly (I don't remember if they're
    > keyed). Make absolutely sure you're jumpering the hard drives
    > properly, that you're not reading the pin arrangement upside down.
    > See if the drives are recognized in another system, if possible.
    >
    > It's possible that you have a defective mb if it fails these simple tests.
    >
    > Please note that Intel released BIOS P17 for their 865G motherboards a
    > couple of days ago. You might want to try flashing this new BIOS to
    > see if it makes any difference at all.
    >
    > Bob

    Hi,

    i first tried to restore the defaults in the BIOS and restarted the
    computer. and it worked!

    now both of my secondary IDEs are in DMA mode.

    thank you very very much for the continuous help you have given me. i
    really appreciate the effort you have spent in assisting me.

    rob

    Buggy, Jun 8, 2004