DANGER DANGER THIRD DAY CPU FAN FAILURE DANGER DANGER

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Skybuck Flying, Mar 22, 2010.

  1. Hello,

    Today I turned on my PC again... I almost forgot to look at the cpu fan !
    which would be dangerous if I forgot to do that !

    This time I was like "oh shit"... "I better check that cpu fan again"...

    This time I noticed what happened/maybe something else happened... The cpu
    fan spin up a little bit... but then it stopped spinning.

    I quickly pressed reset button before it booted into windows... after a
    reset it started spinning better.

    To me this is a very clear sign that the cpu fan is actually DIRTY and
    STUCK...

    Maybe because of oil I tried to put in it long ago, it must have merged with
    dust... or maybe the oil helped a little bit.

    I am not sure what I should do... oil it ? or clean it first ? Clean it
    first might not be possible ? Oil it might help or might make it worse.

    One thing I should not do:

    Attempt to clean it... last time I tried that with a graphics card fan... I
    broke off the fan blade... and got stuck with a dead computer... maybe that
    even happened to my older pentium II cpu fan as well... I think so... not
    sure can't remember.

    THIS SITUATION HAS NOW OFFICIAL ESCALATED FROM A PHASE 1 to a PHASE 2 to a
    PHASE 3 !!!!!!

    MY COMPUTER SYSTEM IS NOW OFFICIALLY AT DEFCON 3 MOTHERFUCKER
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFFF CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO NN N
    33333333
    D D E F C O O N N N
    3
    D D E F C O O N N N
    3
    D D E F C O O N N N
    3
    D D EEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFF C O O N N N
    33333333
    D D E F C O O N N N
    3
    D D E F C O O N N N
    3
    D D E F C O O N NN
    3
    DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE F CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO N N
    33333333

    I will probably have to find a new tiny cpu fan or totall cpu fan/heatsink
    package before I start working on my PC !

    (In case of backup needed !;):))

    ARGH !

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 22, 2010

  2. "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Today I turned on my PC again... I almost forgot to look at the cpu fan !
    > which would be dangerous if I forgot to do that !
    >
    > This time I was like "oh shit"... "I better check that cpu fan again"...
    >
    > This time I noticed what happened/maybe something else happened... The cpu
    > fan spin up a little bit... but then it stopped spinning.
    >
    > I quickly pressed reset button before it booted into windows... after a
    > reset it started spinning better.
    >
    > To me this is a very clear sign that the cpu fan is actually DIRTY and
    > STUCK...
    >
    > Maybe because of oil I tried to put in it long ago, it must have merged
    > with dust... or maybe the oil helped a little bit.
    >
    > I am not sure what I should do... oil it ? or clean it first ? Clean it
    > first might not be possible ? Oil it might help or might make it worse.
    >
    > One thing I should not do:
    >
    > Attempt to clean it... last time I tried that with a graphics card fan...
    > I broke off the fan blade... and got stuck with a dead computer... maybe
    > that even happened to my older pentium II cpu fan as well... I think so...
    > not

    Little typo... I never owned a pentium II, I ment pentium III (LOL).

    > sure can't remember.
    >
    > THIS SITUATION HAS NOW OFFICIAL ESCALATED FROM A PHASE 1 to a PHASE 2 to a
    > PHASE 3 !!!!!!
    >
    > MY COMPUTER SYSTEM IS NOW OFFICIALLY AT DEFCON 3 MOTHERFUCKER
    > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >

    > DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFFF CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO NN N
    > 33333333
    > D D E F C O O N N N 3
    > D D E F C O O N N N 3
    > D D E F C O O N N N 3
    > D D EEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFF C O O N N N
    > 33333333
    > D D E F C O O N N N 3
    > D D E F C O O N N N 3
    > D D E F C O O N NN 3
    > DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE F CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO N N
    > 33333333

    ^ Stinking format nazi's ! ;) :)

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 22, 2010

  3. Skybuck Flying

    Antares 531 Guest

    On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:03:39 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Today I turned on my PC again... I almost forgot to look at the cpu fan !
    >which would be dangerous if I forgot to do that !
    >
    >This time I was like "oh shit"... "I better check that cpu fan again"...
    >
    >This time I noticed what happened/maybe something else happened... The cpu
    >fan spin up a little bit... but then it stopped spinning.
    >
    >I quickly pressed reset button before it booted into windows... after a
    >reset it started spinning better.
    >
    >To me this is a very clear sign that the cpu fan is actually DIRTY and
    >STUCK...
    >
    >Maybe because of oil I tried to put in it long ago, it must have merged with
    >dust... or maybe the oil helped a little bit.
    >
    >I am not sure what I should do... oil it ? or clean it first ? Clean it
    >first might not be possible ? Oil it might help or might make it worse.
    >
    >One thing I should not do:
    >
    >Attempt to clean it... last time I tried that with a graphics card fan... I
    >broke off the fan blade... and got stuck with a dead computer... maybe that
    >even happened to my older pentium II cpu fan as well... I think so... not
    >sure can't remember.
    >
    >THIS SITUATION HAS NOW OFFICIAL ESCALATED FROM A PHASE 1 to a PHASE 2 to a
    >PHASE 3 !!!!!!
    >
    >MY COMPUTER SYSTEM IS NOW OFFICIALLY AT DEFCON 3 MOTHERFUCKER
    >!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >

    >DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFFF CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO NN N
    >33333333
    >D D E F C O O N N N
    >3
    >D D E F C O O N N N
    >3
    >D D E F C O O N N N
    >3
    >D D EEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFF C O O N N N
    >33333333
    >D D E F C O O N N N
    >3
    >D D E F C O O N N N
    >3
    >D D E F C O O N NN
    >3
    >DDDDDDDDD EEEEEEEEEE F CCCCCCCCC OOOOOOOO N N
    >33333333
    >

    >I will probably have to find a new tiny cpu fan or totall cpu fan/heatsink
    >package before I start working on my PC !
    >
    >(In case of backup needed !;):))
    >
    >ARGH !
    >
    >Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    I've been going through the same kind of CPU fan irregularity set of
    problems and I still haven't found the cause. My computer is running
    Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3 installed. It has a Gigabyte
    S-Series GA-P35-DS3L motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    and two A-Data 2gb ddr2 SDRAM memory sticks. It has been a very stable
    and reliable computer for a year and a half, since I built it but
    about a month ago it started throwing fits with the CPU fan and long
    beeps when I boot. If I re-boot the second boot usually goes to
    completion with no problems, and the computer will then operate
    flawlessly until I shut it down then re-boot the next time. This seems
    to be thermally related in that the computer has to have been shut
    down long enough for everything to cool off.

    I'm increasingly convinced that this set of problems started after an
    on-line update, but I don't know what was updated or changed.

    Gordon

    Antares 531, Mar 22, 2010
  4. Skybuck Flying

    SteveH Guest

    Skybuck Flying wrote:

    > I am not sure what I should do... oil it ? or clean it first ? Clean
    > it first might not be possible ? Oil it might help or might make it
    > worse.

    Just throw the lot away as YOU'RE TOO FUCKING STUPID TO OWN A PC!
    Problem is, you're probably also too stupid to even own an abacus.
    --
    SteveH

    SteveH, Mar 22, 2010
  5. Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    Have you ever considdered that any hardware owned by you would be prone to
    go suicidal?

    Thomas Andersson, Mar 22, 2010
  6. "Thomas Andersson" <> wrote in message
    > Skybuck Flying wrote:
    >> Bye,
    >> Skybuck.

    > Have you ever considdered that any hardware owned by you would be prone to
    > go suicidal?

    My hardware might be a little bit dusty, but that's because I always give it
    lot's of love and attention... it's love dust :)

    I even respect the elderly, they all sitting right next to me, nice and
    cousy ;) :)

    Unlike some people who dump their elderly in the waste basket ?! ;) :) |D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 22, 2010
  7. Skybuck Flying wrote:

    > To me this is a very clear sign that the cpu fan is actually DIRTY and
    > STUCK...
    >
    > Maybe because of oil I tried to put in it long ago, it must have merged with
    > dust... or maybe the oil helped a little bit.
    >
    > I am not sure what I should do... oil it ? or clean it first ? Clean it
    > first might not be possible ? Oil it might help or might make it worse.
    >
    > One thing I should not do:
    >
    > Attempt to clean it... last time I tried that with a graphics card fan... I
    > broke off the fan blade...

    What happens when you apply 12V directly to the fan? The black wire
    goes to ground (another black wire on the power supply), the red wire
    of the fan goes to a yellow wire from the power supply. If you
    instead connect it to a red wire on the power supply, the fan will get
    only 5V, which may not be enough to start it up.

    I usually take apart a fan and clean it before lubing it. Use light
    machine oil, not WD-40 or silicone oil, and lube not only the bearings
    but also apply tiny amounts of oil to any thrust washers, even plastic
    ones. If you find any gouged washers, replace them (real hardware
    stores like Ace or True Value, parts from other fans). Sealed ball
    bearings usually can't be lubed, but with unsealed ones try to clean
    out the old grease and apply fresh lithium grease, not Vaseline.

    You can't break off fan blades unless you're drunk, high on coke, or
    apply way, way too much force and forgot to first remove the circlip
    or split washer that holds the shaft in place. The clip can be
    removed with a jeweler's screwdriver.

    larry moe 'n curly, Mar 22, 2010
  8. Oh those fan blades break real easy...

    It's like a lever, like so:

    /<- push here
    /
    /
    /
    /
    --------------

    ^ snaps there.

    Ouch ! ;)

    Sigh, I haven't looked at the cpu fan up close yet... too lazy to work on
    the pc at the moment... and I have other things to do... ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 23, 2010
  9. Skybuck Flying

    mpm Guest

    On Mar 22, 9:04 pm, "Skybuck Flying" <>
    wrote:

    > Sigh, I haven't looked at the cpu fan up close yet... too lazy to work on
    > the pc at the moment... and I have other things to do... ;) :)
    >
    > Bye,
    >   Skybuck.

    Really?
    Like finding your Ritalin prescription...??

    mpm, Mar 23, 2010
  10. Skybuck Flying wrote:

    > Oh those fan blades break real easy...
    >
    > It's like a lever, like so:
    >
    > /<- push here
    > /
    > /
    > /
    > /
    > --------------
    >
    > ^ snaps there.
    >
    > Ouch ! ;)

    No, they don't, because nobody presses there on purpose.

    larry moe 'n curly, Mar 24, 2010
  11. "larry moe 'n curly" <> wrote in message

    > Skybuck Flying wrote:
    >>
    >> Oh those fan blades break real easy...
    >>
    >> It's like a lever, like so:
    >>
    >> /<- push here
    >> /
    >> /
    >> /
    >> /
    >> --------------
    >>
    >> ^ snaps there.
    >>
    >> Ouch ! ;)

    > No, they don't, because nobody presses there on purpose.

    As clueless newbies try to open the fan, and try to clean it they most
    certainly will ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck :)

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 24, 2010
  12. I can confirm your weirdness in a way...

    What happens on my system is very weird too, to me it definetly seems like a
    bug or hardware malfunction, not necessaryily a dirty fan shaft.

    What happens is the following:

    1. I turn my computer on for the first time.

    2. The cpu fan speeds up at full throttle.

    3. The bios starts booting.

    4. When it's done booting it displays a waiting message, a countdown.

    During this count down the cpu fan shuts down completely. It just stops
    spinning which is very weird.

    5. Then as I press reset and the computer reboots, the cpu fan starts
    spinning again at full speed.

    Then as the countdown happens the cpu fan spins at medium speed.

    My conclusion:

    It's probably a bug in the hardware/software/bios, not necessarily a dirty
    fan shaft, because that wouldn't make sense...

    Why would it stop the first time and spin the second time ?

    ^ very strange indeed.

    I suspect foil play... I suspect that this bug has been introduced into the
    bios software on purpose to kill my hardware after a few years.

    I further suspect that if a customer was to call the service line they would
    say: "just reboot" and see what happens... and then ofcourse the bug would
    magically disappear... and then they would say: "see no problem" ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 27, 2010
  13. I have an idea though:

    I will download the bios software from the bios chip onto a floppy disk.

    Then I will try and find a bios hardware simulator and execute the bios
    inside the simulator.

    Maybe something weird will happen in the simulator as well...

    If the saboteurs were smart they would have modified the download process as
    well... to give me a fake image.

    But maybe they can't influence the download process and thus their foil
    activities would become apperent ! ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 27, 2010
  14. Re: DANGER DANGER THIRD DAY CPU FAN FAILURE DANGER DANGER. (AMD SimNow 4.5.2 has no CPU FAN emulator :( )

    I have tried and done the following things:

    1. Downloaded the bios rom from bios chip to floppy disk.
    (Special AFUDOS bootdisk needed) (It's kinda strange afudos didn't want to
    run with ms-dos 6.22 bootdisk, so it needs it's own special dos ?)
    (Fortunately I already had all the necessary disks from the past
    experimention with bioses ;) :))

    2. Transferred the bios rom image from floppy disk to harddrive to my
    information folder for future archiving. (I make backups of my information
    folder regularly, like each year or so... this will be handy if I want to
    inspect the suspicious bios in the future in case current software is
    inadequete).

    3. Downloaded special AMITOOLS to investigate American Megatrends Inc.
    bioses. (I guess these tools are not available by official channels, and
    must be downloaded from pirates(?) :))

    4. Supplied at least on executable to an anti virus scanner to see if it's
    not infected, nothing found.

    5. Run these tools which I will here not further specify to investigate the
    "casual" bios settings/options and what not via gui. This bios has many
    features. The rom image is exactly 1MB which is quite large for my taste ;)
    Nothing irregular found with the tools so far.

    6. I tried to export some rom information, and tried to reverse/dissassembly
    some parts of it, this was unsuccessfull, ida pro doesn't recgonize it, it
    doesn't know where to start and neither do I. It tries to analyze it as Z80
    ?!? I set it to x286, or athlon etc, but it still doesn't know where to
    start.

    7. I also looked at some "hackers" tutorial how "he" does things... hackers
    doesn't explain how to reverse engineer some things... he did mention the
    following:
    "SingleLinkArch" is the main rom section of the bios ? (Hacker was trying to
    do something with keyloggers/anti keyloggers)

    8. I also already noticed myself there is something called a "bootblock" I
    wonder if it contains any "cpu fan" related instructions ?!?

    9. I also figured out reverse engineering it wasn't going to provide me with
    lot's of data unless it was in c source or pascal like form... mostly it
    would be in asm language form which would/could be difficult to understand.

    So I went back to the original plan:

    10. Trying to run it in a simulator, this was actually the first thing I
    tried but AMD SimNow 4.4 doesn't allow to create a system, so I went to AMD
    site to see if something better/newer is available. AMD SimNow 4.5.2 is now
    available and does allow to create a custom virtual pc. Unfortunately for
    me... I do not yet quite understand how to do that because it requires to
    attach some kind of devices together which I have never heard of ?! ;) :)

    This time AMD SimNow 4.5.2 does come with some system images, but these seem
    to be weird hardware systems... I am not sure if it actually contains a PC
    system ?!? Which is kinda odd...

    11. I also tried to use the weird systems with my bios rom image... The AMD
    SimNow 4.5.2 needs to know the size of the rom image in 32 KB chunks... I am
    guessing it's 1024/32 = 32 ?!?

    12. It also needs to know the "base address" or "entry address" or something
    like that into the BIOS image... I am not sure what that value would be, or
    how to find out... so that's something that would be needed to figure out in
    the future.

    However I decided before I was going to try and get a system working in full
    it would be smart to simply load the pre-installed systems and see if there
    is such a thing as a cpu fan indicator/device or variable or whatever.

    13. This seems not to be the case... So the funny thing is: "The cpu fan"
    can now be simulated... thus a crucial system component is actually not in
    the simulator which is kinda amuzing to me... It's also not really that
    surprising and it also explains a lot... It explains how a cpu fan
    failure/bug might have gone unnoticed ;) :)

    14. The last thing I did (actually before I noticed the cpu fan simulation
    is missing) was sent a message/response/feedback to AMD support to explain
    my problem, my goal and asking if it was possible... I guess for now with
    the current version it's not possible.

    So end conclusion:

    For now I will have to wait with the bios analysis until:

    1. AMD SimNow gets CPU FAN device support/emulation.

    2. AMD SimNow comes pre-installed with a realistic pc system scenerio ! ;)
    :) Preferably Asus A8N32-SLI/AMI BIOS like system with Athlon Processor ;)
    :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 27, 2010
  15. The situation has become even more absurd:

    "Now during boot I am required to press reset twice" otherwise the cpu fan
    would still stop after the first reset.

    It's almost as if there is a counter which says: "now you must reset twice"
    ?!?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Apr 1, 2010
  16. Skybuck Flying

    Pieyed Piper Guest

    On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 00:33:14 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
    <> wrote:

    >The situation has become even more absurd:
    >
    >"Now during boot I am required to press reset twice" otherwise the cpu fan
    >would still stop after the first reset.
    >
    >It's almost as if there is a counter which says: "now you must reset twice"
    >?!?
    >
    >Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    You shouldn't use the reset button to restart your machine, idiot.

    You should ALWAYS power down with the POWER switch. Even if it takes
    holding it for four seconds. You should always power up from it as well,
    or a keyboard power switch or other trigger.

    The reset switch is only for a hung machine.

    You are the cause of every problem you ever had with every computer you
    ever owned.

    Pieyed Piper, Apr 2, 2010
  17. "Pieyed Piper" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 00:33:14 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>The situation has become even more absurd:
    >>
    >>"Now during boot I am required to press reset twice" otherwise the cpu fan
    >>would still stop after the first reset.
    >>
    >>It's almost as if there is a counter which says: "now you must reset
    >>twice"
    >>?!?
    >>
    >>Bye,
    >> Skybuck.
    >>

    > You shouldn't use the reset button to restart your machine, idiot.

    And why would that be ? ;)

    > You should ALWAYS power down with the POWER switch. Even if it takes
    > holding it for four seconds. You should always power up from it as well,
    > or a keyboard power switch or other trigger.

    Sounds like bad advice to me...

    And in this case it wouldn't even work since the fan would just stop again !
    ;)

    > The reset switch is only for a hung machine.
    >
    > You are the cause of every problem you ever had with every computer you
    > ever owned.

    Sure thing dude, blame it all on Skybuck ! LOL.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Apr 2, 2010
  18. Skybuck Flying

    Proteus IIV Guest

    ARCHIMEDES' LEVER IS A SICK FILTHY FAGGOTY CLOSET GAY MAN

    HE IS SO LOW HE NOW GOES TO CHRISTIAN CHAT ROOMS TO HARRASS CHRISTIANS
    ABOUT HIS FRUSTRATIONS AND GAY SENTIMENTS

    I AM PTROTEUS

    Proteus IIV, Apr 9, 2010