Darn, is my Hard Disk Drive finished? Can't read it.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eb7g, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. eb7g

    eb7g Guest

    I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    it again.

    The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....

    Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

    1. Advertising

  2. ccrc

    ccrc Guest

    I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
    Windows) drives.
    -Chris.

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <> wrote:

    >I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    >was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    >it again.
    >
    >The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    >it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >
    >Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    >system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

    1. Advertising

  3. eb7g

    eb7g Guest

    ccrc wrote:

    > I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
    > Windows) drives.
    > -Chris.
    >
    > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    >>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    >>it again.
    >>
    >>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    >>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >>
    >>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    >>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

    Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
    again, as it's not an old drive.

  4. ccrc

    ccrc Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:12:00 GMT, eb7g <> wrote:

    >ccrc wrote:
    >
    >> I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
    >> Windows) drives.
    >> -Chris.
    >>
    >> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    >>>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    >>>it again.
    >>>
    >>>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    >>>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >>>
    >>>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    >>>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

    >Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
    >again, as it's not an old drive.

    Well, it's worth a try to try to recover it then.

    I wouldnt put faith in it until you've had it running stable a while
    though.

    Do you have the tech to repartition and reformat yourself? Have a
    mildly well versed tech buddy who can help you?
    -C.

  5. Xrayman

    Xrayman Guest

    download the diagnostic disk from WD and run the quick and extended health
    test on the drive. you can also zero fill the drive (since you don't need
    the data) and verify afterward to see if there are bad sectors in the drive.
    unfortunately the program does not give you the actual errors, just error
    codes so you can't really tell what they are. but having this happen to the
    drive once, you should avoid putting important data on it, even if it
    recovers.

    "eb7g" <> wrote in message
    > ccrc wrote:
    >
    > > I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
    > > Windows) drives.
    > > -Chris.
    > >
    > > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    > >>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    > >>it again.
    > >>
    > >>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    > >>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    > >>
    > >>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    > >>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

    > Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
    > again, as it's not an old drive.

  6. maxim

    maxim Guest

    Re: Re: Darn, is my Hard Disk Drive finished? Can't read it.

    "" wrote:
    > ccrc wrote:
    >
    > > I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old

    > "unreadable" (by
    > > Windows) drives.
    > > -Chris.
    > >
    > > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two

    > years old. I
    > >>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing

    > could read
    > >>it again.
    > >>
    > >>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem

    > to access
    > >>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems

    > fine....
    > >>
    > >>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as

    > my operating
    > >>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

    > Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to
    > use it
    > again, as it's not an old drive.

    Get back data is a good option...
    has worked for me with a dead 80 gb seagate.

    Easy Recovery Pro....can also be of much help....its got this option
    whr you can recover data from a formatted hdd. (hvnt still got a
    chance to try it tho...) hopefuly shuld work for you..as long as the
    drive detects in the bios and spins...uve not run out of luck....

    im soon gonna start work on a WD Caviar WD400BB dead hdd which isnt
    showing up on bios...

    anyone knows any software for WD for e.g DM 9.5 for seagate

    cheers!

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Darn-Hard-Disk-Drive-finished-read-ftopict60309.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=304701

  7. Zag

    Zag Guest

    You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired, all WD 120gb drives
    come with a 3yr warranty, look into RMA'ing it.
    I'd stay clear of any WD drives, due to past experience with them.

    "eb7g" <> wrote in message
    > I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    > was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    > it again.
    >
    > The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    > it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >
    > Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    > system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

  8. eb7g

    eb7g Guest

    Xrayman wrote:

    > download the diagnostic disk from WD and run the quick and extended health
    > test on the drive. you can also zero fill the drive (since you don't need
    > the data) and verify afterward to see if there are bad sectors in the drive.
    > unfortunately the program does not give you the actual errors, just error
    > codes so you can't really tell what they are. but having this happen to the
    > drive once, you should avoid putting important data on it, even if it
    > recovers.
    >

    > "eb7g" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>ccrc wrote:
    >>

    >>>I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
    >>>Windows) drives.
    >>>-Chris.

    >>Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
    >>again, as it's not an old drive.

    As it turns out the Diagnostic tools don't work as I immediately get a
    'cable' error to the drive. The cables I fine, I tested it out with
    other cables and drives.

  9. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Zag <> wrote

    > You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired,
    > all WD 120gb drives come with a 3yr warranty,

    Wrong. Not when he bought it.

    > look into RMA'ing it. I'd stay clear of any WD
    > drives, due to past experience with them.

    > "eb7g" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years
    >> old. I was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing
    >> could read it again.
    >>
    >> The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to
    >> access it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >>
    >> Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my
    >> operating system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

  10. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    The whole industry was getting poor yields and sales were down so they
    decided to release bunch crappy HDs and offer 1 year or 30 day warranties.
    WD hardrives are are the best I know of.. I have 4 WD740 raptors 1 WD360
    raptor and 4 80gb JB IDE drives and have never had any issues with them,,
    I would stay clear of samsung fujitsu.
    "Zag" <> wrote in message
    > You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired, all WD 120gb
    > drives
    > come with a 3yr warranty, look into RMA'ing it.
    > I'd stay clear of any WD drives, due to past experience with them.
    >

    > "eb7g" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    >> was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    >> it again.
    >>
    >> The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    >> it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >>
    >> Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    >> system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

  11. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Patrick <> wrote

    > The whole industry was getting poor yields

    Bullshit.

    > and sales were down

    More bullshit.

    > so they decided to release bunch crappy HDs and offer 1 year or 30 day
    > warranties.

    Samsung never did.

    > WD hardrives are are the best I know of..

    You wanna get out more, child.

    > I have 4 WD740 raptors 1 WD360 raptor and 4 80gb JB IDE drives and have never
    > had any issues with them,,

    The JB drives are hardly the current mass market drives WD sells.

    > I would stay clear of samsung fujitsu.

    More fool you. And Fujitsu doesnt even bother with 3.5"
    IDE drives anymore, shows how little you actually know.

    > "Zag" <> wrote in message
    >> You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired, all WD 120gb
    >> drives
    >> come with a 3yr warranty, look into RMA'ing it.
    >> I'd stay clear of any WD drives, due to past experience with them.
    >>

    >> "eb7g" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years
    >>> old. I was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing
    >>> could read it again.
    >>>
    >>> The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to
    >>> access it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems
    >>> fine.... Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my
    >>> operating system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

  12. Rob

    Rob Guest

    if the drive is unreadable with any other tools.....

    try this

    works.. 90% of the time

    freeze the bastard.. overnight

    get ghost.. made by symantec.. a hard drive cloning utility

    install the dead hard drive back.. boot up with ghost, and let the
    cloning begins!

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:32:08 GMT, "Patrick" <> wrote:

    >The whole industry was getting poor yields and sales were down so they
    >decided to release bunch crappy HDs and offer 1 year or 30 day warranties.
    >WD hardrives are are the best I know of.. I have 4 WD740 raptors 1 WD360
    >raptor and 4 80gb JB IDE drives and have never had any issues with them,,
    >I would stay clear of samsung fujitsu.
    >"Zag" <> wrote in message
    >> You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired, all WD 120gb
    >> drives
    >> come with a 3yr warranty, look into RMA'ing it.
    >> I'd stay clear of any WD drives, due to past experience with them.
    >>

    >> "eb7g" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    >>> was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    >>> it again.
    >>>
    >>> The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    >>> it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >>>
    >>> Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    >>> system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

  13. Zag

    Zag Guest

    Or just get Spinrite.

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > if the drive is unreadable with any other tools.....
    >

    > try this
    >

    > works.. 90% of the time
    >

    > freeze the bastard.. overnight
    >
    > get ghost.. made by symantec.. a hard drive cloning utility
    >

    > install the dead hard drive back.. boot up with ghost, and let the
    > cloning begins!
    >

    > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:32:08 GMT, "Patrick" <> wrote:
    >
    > >The whole industry was getting poor yields and sales were down so they
    > >decided to release bunch crappy HDs and offer 1 year or 30 day

    warranties.
    > >WD hardrives are are the best I know of.. I have 4 WD740 raptors 1 WD360
    > >raptor and 4 80gb JB IDE drives and have never had any issues with them,,
    > >I would stay clear of samsung fujitsu.
    > >"Zag" <> wrote in message
    > >> You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired, all WD 120gb
    > >> drives
    > >> come with a 3yr warranty, look into RMA'ing it.
    > >> I'd stay clear of any WD drives, due to past experience with them.
    > >>

    > >> "eb7g" <> wrote in message

    read

    operating

  14. eb7g

    eb7g Guest

    I just checked it with Partion Doctor 3.0. Turns out....every sector is
    bad. I guess it's toast.

    I bought a Seagate Barracuda 200GB instead, they have the 5 year warranty.

    thanks for your posts and emails.

    Zag wrote:

    > Or just get Spinrite.
    >

    > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>if the drive is unreadable with any other tools.....
    >>

    >>try this
    >>

    >>works.. 90% of the time
    >>

    >>freeze the bastard.. overnight
    >>
    >>get ghost.. made by symantec.. a hard drive cloning utility
    >>

    >>install the dead hard drive back.. boot up with ghost, and let the
    >>cloning begins!
    >>

    >>On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:32:08 GMT, "Patrick" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>The whole industry was getting poor yields and sales were down so they
    >>>decided to release bunch crappy HDs and offer 1 year or 30 day

    > warranties.
    >
    >>>WD hardrives are are the best I know of.. I have 4 WD740 raptors 1 WD360
    >>>raptor and 4 80gb JB IDE drives and have never had any issues with them,,
    >>>I would stay clear of samsung fujitsu.
    >>>"Zag" <> wrote in message

    > read

    > operating

  15. Xrayman

    Xrayman Guest

    "eb7g" <> wrote in message
    > Xrayman wrote:
    >
    > > download the diagnostic disk from WD and run the quick and extended

    health
    > > test on the drive. you can also zero fill the drive (since you don't

    need
    > > the data) and verify afterward to see if there are bad sectors in the

    drive.
    > > unfortunately the program does not give you the actual errors, just

    error
    > > codes so you can't really tell what they are. but having this happen to

    the
    > > drive once, you should avoid putting important data on it, even if it
    > > recovers.
    > >

    > > "eb7g" <> wrote in message

    read

    operating

    > >>Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
    > >>again, as it's not an old drive.

    > As it turns out the Diagnostic tools don't work as I immediately get a
    > 'cable' error to the drive. The cables I fine, I tested it out with
    > other cables and drives.

    Sounds like your drive electronics is toast, time for a new drive. If you
    want to recover the data, you can use a circuit board from an identical
    drive. You can put the good board back after the data recovery. Usually a
    media death starts with bad sectors growing slowly or very quickly. Oh
    course a head crash is instant death as well but you usually hear a lot
    clicking from the head and spinning up and down as it tries to read from the
    dead head.

  16. Mike Redrobe

    Mike Redrobe Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > if the drive is unreadable with any other tools.....
    >
    > try this
    >
    > works.. 90% of the time

    depends what the failure mode is.

    > freeze the bastard.. overnight

    If you must give this advice at least tell people to put the HDD
    in a plastic bag before putting it in the freezer.

    > get ghost.. made by symantec.. a hard drive cloning utility
    >

    > install the dead hard drive back.. boot up with ghost, and let the
    > cloning begins!

    Using this method you may have limited time until it heats up and
    stops working again.

    It might be quicker to get important files off it instead of cloning
    the entire drive.

    --
    Mike

  17. Rob

    Rob Guest

    thats why i mentioned in my first line " if the drive is unreadable
    with any other tools "

    :)

    in other words, if the drive is toast, give it a shot

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:05:53 GMT, "Mike Redrobe" <>
    wrote:

    >Rob wrote:
    >> if the drive is unreadable with any other tools.....
    >>
    >> try this
    >>
    >> works.. 90% of the time

    >depends what the failure mode is.
    >
    >> freeze the bastard.. overnight

    >If you must give this advice at least tell people to put the HDD
    >in a plastic bag before putting it in the freezer.
    >
    >> get ghost.. made by symantec.. a hard drive cloning utility
    >>

    >> install the dead hard drive back.. boot up with ghost, and let the
    >> cloning begins!

    >Using this method you may have limited time until it heats up and
    >stops working again.
    >
    >It might be quicker to get important files off it instead of cloning
    >the entire drive.

  18. Zag

    Zag Guest

    Good choice, that's the exact one I have in mine too.
    No problems with it so far.

  19. In article <EcYKe.197330$s54.70843@pd7tw2no>, says...

    >I just checked it with Partion Doctor 3.0. Turns out....every sector is
    >bad. I guess it's toast.

    did you try writing it with 0's? (low level format)

    >I bought a Seagate Barracuda 200GB instead, they have the 5 year warranty.
    >
    >thanks for your posts and emails.
    >
    >Zag wrote:
    >
    >> Or just get Spinrite.
    >>

    >> "Rob" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>if the drive is unreadable with any other tools.....
    >>>

    >>>try this
    >>>

    >>>works.. 90% of the time
    >>>

    >>>freeze the bastard.. overnight
    >>>
    >>>get ghost.. made by symantec.. a hard drive cloning utility
    >>>

    >>>install the dead hard drive back.. boot up with ghost, and let the
    >>>cloning begins!

    >> warranties.

    >> read

    >> operating

  20. Xrayman

    Xrayman Guest

    If every sector is bad, that means the media or disk is not accessible.
    Good chance the controller or the head controller (inside the drive, not on
    the board) is fried. The original poster only want to check if the drive
    still works and don't care about the data so it's a piece of junk now. You
    wouldn't trust a drive like that even if it recovers.