Dead 9800 XT?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Brett Tyre, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. Brett Tyre

    Brett Tyre Guest

    (Also posted in the ATI newsgroup).

    I recently replaced a dead motherboard in my system. Prior to the
    motherboard dying, my Radeon 9800XT had been working fine. After replacing
    the motherboard, I noticed the Windows XP "Programs" menu would appear very
    slowly and disappear slowly. I noticed subsequently that this occured in
    any menu. I reset my BIOS settings to what they had been prior to replacing
    the motherboard, and this made no difference.

    After installing Rise of Nations, I kept getting VPU errors and messages
    stating that the VPU was unable to fully recover from hardware deadlock and
    the system was switching over to software rendering.

    I tried updating to the latest drivers, and the screen would streak blue and
    white on reboot. I was then given a blue screen with a "HARD STOP" message.
    I switched back to last known good settings and uninstalled the card and
    reinstalled it. This did not solve anything. I tried again and tried the
    new drivers once again with the same result as before (streaked screen, hard
    stop message).

    I've gone back to last known good settings and know Windows will detect the
    cards, but will not install the drivers.

    Is this a hardware issue or a software issue?

    (As a side note, I also switched heatsink/fan combos when replacing my
    motherboard. Prior to the motherboard dying, the VPU would run at around
    69C, last I checked before this problem started, it was at 73C -could this
    cause such errors?)

    Thanks,
    --
    Brett Tyre