    a new one as a test?

    Is is possible that i could kill a new motherboard if i install the old
    processor (possibly a dead processor) on a new motherboard?
    Bond, May 17, 2005

  2. Bond

    Bond Guest

    One more thing... if I install a new process on the old motherboard,
    will I only have to change the BIOS config (unless it is done
    automatically).

    And if I install a new motherboard using the old CPU, is it true that I
    will have to format my hard drive (C: partition)?

    Anything else involved that I should know about?
    Bond, May 17, 2005

  3. Bond

    Ben Myers Guest

    First, yes, in extreme cases, messed up motherboard circuitry can kill a
    perfectly good CPU. Unlikely, but possible.

    If the CPU is compatible with the motherboard, no BIOS changes are needed.

    If you install a new motherboard with your old CPU and its model is IDENTICAL to
    the dead motherboard, you do not need to reinstall or reactivate Windows.

    If you install a different motherboard, Microsoft may or may not require you to
    reactivate Windows. You may or may not have to reinstall Windows with a new
    motherboard, only add the drivers required by the new board. I'm assuming that
    you are using XP.

    For Windows 2000 and earlier, everything applies except the bit about product
    activation, a new "feature" of Windows XP to prevent all the bad software
    pirates in the world from using Windows illegally... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 31, 2005
  4. > And if I install a new motherboard using the old CPU, is it true that I
    > will have to format my hard drive (C: partition)?

    No. You can swap compatible drives in and out of computers. Your OS
    might not like that it has a new mobo, but you should be able to work
    your way around that without reformatting.

    //Kevin
    Kevin Buffardi, Jun 2, 2005