Dear AMD,,, (Fan settings, what do you use?)

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Craig Fink, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. Craig Fink

    Craig Fink Guest

    ....Ten years an AMD fan, but the Fan couldn't keep up. Just returned a
    Phenom processor Quad 9500 with Al fan when the motherboard started beeping
    at me. Did something I haven't done in fifteen years, Q6600, it not true
    quad but doesn't have cache problems. The Fan was undersized in my Box.

    I'm an Nvidia fan too, CUDA...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WCU7wlusSDI
    ....c or c++, Fortran fan here, but parallel processing is....

    Current Fan settings on my new Q66 with ECS G31T-M...
    AMT bios
    Smart Fan Start PMM value... 0
    Smart Fan Start Temp. (C)... 37
    CPU DeltaT... +5
    Smart Fan Slope PWM Value... +15 (PWM/C)
    CPU Fan Full Limit Temp 45C

    Being green, slowing the fan down when there is no load is important, these
    settings give me at idle,

    CPU Temp 38C or 100F
    CPU Fan Speed 1070RPM

    The fan Tops out 2050RPM at 45C.

    Comments?
    What Fan setting are you using? I figure full speed at 45C leaves plenty of
    padding before my ECS G31.... shuts down at 70C.

    Ron Paul in 08! ;-)
    --
    Craig Fink
    Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

    Craig Fink, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Craig Fink

    Richard P Guest

    Craig Fink wrote:
    > ...Ten years an AMD fan, but the Fan couldn't keep up. Just returned a
    > Phenom processor Quad 9500 with Al fan when the motherboard started beeping
    > at me. Did something I haven't done in fifteen years, Q6600, it not true
    > quad but doesn't have cache problems. The Fan was undersized in my Box.
    >
    > I'm an Nvidia fan too, CUDA...
    > http://youtube.com/watch?v=WCU7wlusSDI
    > ...c or c++, Fortran fan here, but parallel processing is....
    >
    > Current Fan settings on my new Q66 with ECS G31T-M...
    > AMT bios
    > Smart Fan Start PMM value... 0
    > Smart Fan Start Temp. (C)... 37
    > CPU DeltaT... +5
    > Smart Fan Slope PWM Value... +15 (PWM/C)
    > CPU Fan Full Limit Temp 45C
    >
    > Being green, slowing the fan down when there is no load is important, these
    > settings give me at idle,
    >
    > CPU Temp 38C or 100F
    > CPU Fan Speed 1070RPM
    >
    > The fan Tops out 2050RPM at 45C.
    >
    > Comments?
    > What Fan setting are you using? I figure full speed at 45C leaves plenty of
    > padding before my ECS G31.... shuts down at 70C.
    >

    > Ron Paul in 08! ;-)

    Why didnt you just get a better fan? I have a phenom and with the
    default fan the temps are ok. But as I like to run cool I bought a 3rd
    party fan for £13 which keeps it cool even when overclocking.

    Richard P, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Craig Fink

    peter Guest

    The first thing I do when I buy a new chip.........is also buy a new and
    Better heatsink one that's capable of 120mm Fan.
    Then I buy the fan that pushes the most air at the least noise...and turn
    off all Fan Control and let that sucker blow.
    Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB
    Thermalright HR-01 Plus 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 AM2 CPU Heatsink *Fan Not
    Included*

    Now that the Cooling and noise level is under control.......its time to over
    clock.
    And as I sit here 2 feet from my OC'd Intel core 2 duo..from 2.3 to 3.2 I
    can barely hear the thing.

    Based on the info you gave your fan settings are fine
    peter

    peter, Jan 31, 2008
  4. Craig Fink

    Craig Fink Guest

    peter wrote:

    > The first thing I do when I buy a new chip.........is also buy a new and
    > Better heatsink one that's capable of 120mm Fan.
    > Then I buy the fan that pushes the most air at the least noise...and turn
    > off all Fan Control and let that sucker blow.
    > Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB
    > Thermalright HR-01 Plus 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 AM2 CPU Heatsink *Fan Not
    > Included*
    >
    > Now that the Cooling and noise level is under control.......its time to
    > over clock.
    > And as I sit here 2 feet from my OC'd Intel core 2 duo..from 2.3 to 3.2 I
    > can barely hear the thing.
    >
    > Based on the info you gave your fan settings are fine
    > peter

    A long time ago, I was into overclocking, still fun, but no longer feel the
    need to be on the bleeding edge. But, still fun to talk about. On article
    on Tom's Hardware on overclocking, he mentions cost of running for a year.
    Several hundred for eight hours a day.

    Yes, any old fan settings are probably fine as long as it's spinning the
    fastest it can when the cpu is the hottest. But, the green part of me like
    lower recurring costs, the power bill.

    I've been thinking about it a little bit more and what criteria is best for
    something other than spinning the fan full speed. I didn't like the default
    fan setting on my cheap motherboard. The default was disabled, no variable
    fan.

    Start PMM value was 50 with a range of 0-128
    PMM value of 0 gave half speed on the fan.
    CPU Fan Full Limit Temp was 69 degrees, only one degree below 70 (my
    shutdown temp) and way to close for me.

    Current Fan settings on my new Q6600 with ECS G31T-M...
    AMT bios
    Smart Fan Start PMM value... 0
    Smart Fan Start Temp. (C)...  37
    CPU DeltaT...                 +5
    Smart Fan Slope PWM Value... +15  (PWM/C)
    CPU Fan Full Limit Temp       45C

    I was rethinking these settings I came up with, and think I'll modify them
    again with different criteria that is the greenest I can think of, and the
    safest in terms of temperature, not running at the bleeding edge.

    Smart Fan Start PMM value... 0 ----------- Fan is spinning the slowest
    Smart Fan Start Temp. (C)... 37 ----------- Adjustment for CPU Fan Full...
    CPU DeltaT... +5 ---------I have no idea what this does
    Smart Fan Slope PWM Value... +15(PWM/C) - Maximum rate of change of FanSpeed
    CPU Fan Full Limit Temp ??C ------- Temp at 100% CPU w 100% FanSpeed
    in the Summer.

    My adjustments are Start PMM value, Start Temp, DeltaT and Slope.

    CPU Fan Full Limit Temp is the outcome of these settings.

    This will give me full fan speed at max temperature for my heatsink and fan,
    and will give me the lowest power usage at idle, and will give me the
    smallest temperature change of the CPU/Motherboard from idle to full speed
    (reduces thermal cycling).

    Anybody know what CPU DeltaT does? Should i reduce it to zero?
    --
    Craig Fink
    Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

    Craig Fink, Feb 2, 2008
  5. Craig Fink

    peter Guest

    here is a little article ( a bit old maybe but still true) on heat and CPU
    life span...it includes info on CPU Delta T

    http://www.overclockers.com/tips30/

    Once upon a time I did a small power test...I had been running my systems
    24/7 so for one month I turned them on only when they were in use ...I saved
    just under 3.00 per month in power cost....That is for 2 computers.
    I believe in the cooler the better...and a small fan.or 3 small 120mm fans
    in my case do not amount to a huge amount of power consumption.
    These are the fans that I use....note the power
    http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

    peter

    peter, Feb 3, 2008
  6. Craig Fink

    Craig Fink Guest

    peter wrote:

    > here is a little article ( a bit old maybe but still true) on heat and CPU
    > life span...it includes info on CPU Delta T
    >
    > http://www.overclockers.com/tips30/
    >
    > Once upon a time I did a small power test...I had been running my systems
    > 24/7 so for one month I turned them on only when they were in use ...I
    > saved just under 3.00 per month in power cost....That is for 2 computers.
    > I believe in the cooler the better...and a small fan.or 3 small 120mm fans
    > in my case do not amount to a huge amount of power consumption.
    > These are the fans that I use....note the power
    > http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

    Thanks, very good article. The CPU Delta T is an input that I can change in
    my bios, I don't think it is the same one as he is talking about. But the I
    like the article. Sounds like the Delta T in the article is Running Temp
    minus Ambient Temp.

    I still have no idea what the *input* "CPU Delta T" in the bios actually
    does for me.

    For any given heat sink with a variable speed fan,

    delta T(1) = Temp(100% load, 100%fan) - Temp(idle, 100%fan)
    delta T(2) = Temp(100% load, 100%fan) - Temp(idle, 50%fan)

    delta T(2) < delta T(1)

    Reduces thermal cycling Delta T between idle and full load (is good), but
    increase Idle temperature (is very bad, very very bad for a 24/7 idling
    computer)

    I'm not a gamer, but when I run some of my own software it runs for five to
    six hours. That's only one thermal cycle, cruising the Internet is much
    worst than gaming or running one long program. A game is only one thermal
    cycle too.

    Ok, I'll quite messing with the variable fan and run it at 100%. Even though
    the delta T from idle to 100% load will be higher. The lower idle temp with
    the fan at 100% is better.

    So why did they go to the trouble of putting a variable speed fan on my
    motherboard?

    Craig Fink, Feb 4, 2008