Default administrator password?

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by JHawk, Mar 17, 2007.

  1. JHawk

    JHawk Guest

    I'm fixing a friend's Gateway 835GM. I had to perform a full
    (destructive) system restore from the CDs. One system file
    (msgina.dll) would not install correctly. Unfortunately this is
    required to get into Win XP.

    I am comfortable installing this file via the Recovery Console, but
    when I try to access the c:\windows directory, I am asked for the
    Administrator password. Since this is a fresh installation, it must be
    a default password. I've tried just hitting ENTER and also all the
    logical default passwords I can think of. Can anyone tell me the
    default Administrator password?

    (Lest anyone ask why don't I just do a repair installation since I
    obviously have an XP CD, my CD is for XP Pro, and the Gateway has XP
    Media Center Edition.)

    Thanks.