Default Mail

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Suzie-Q, Jun 14, 2012.

  1. Suzie-Q

    Suzie-Q Guest

    When I was using Firefox and clicked on an email address link
    on a web page, it would automatically open a "compose" window
    in my gmail account (in Firefox).

    Now I'm using Google Chrome and, when I click on an email
    address link, it opens up "Mail," the app that comes on Apple
    computers. (I have a MacBook, btw.)

    I've attempted to figure out how to make my gmail account (in
    Google Chrome) my default email so that it works like it did
    when using Firefox, but I can't seem to figure it out. It must
    be something simple.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks in advance,

    8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
    ~~~~~~~~~

    http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
    http://intergnat.com/malebashing/

    Suzie-Q, Jun 14, 2012

  2. In article <>,
    Suzie-Q <> wrote:

    > When I was using Firefox and clicked on an email address link
    > on a web page, it would automatically open a "compose" window
    > in my gmail account (in Firefox).
    >
    > Now I'm using Google Chrome and, when I click on an email
    > address link, it opens up "Mail," the app that comes on Apple
    > computers. (I have a MacBook, btw.)
    >
    > I've attempted to figure out how to make my gmail account (in
    > Google Chrome) my default email so that it works like it did
    > when using Firefox, but I can't seem to figure it out. It must
    > be something simple.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > 8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
    > ~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
    > http://intergnat.com/malebashing/

    Since a browser isn't the usual tool for reading/sending mail, you'll
    have a difficult time getting this default to work. The tool I use is
    RCDefaultApp (free)

    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14618/rcdefaultapp

    You can use it to associate file extensions to applications, the default
    application for web browsing, mail, ftp, news, rss, and IM. BUT, all
    that does is run the appropriate program when you click on a link like

    mailto:

    If you assign Chrome as your email reader, it will run the progam but
    that's all. You'll have to navigate and sign into Gmail on your own.

    You could use Opera or Thunderbird which have integrated email features,
    but the UNIX-way is that a tool does ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY.
    Opera and Thunderbird violate that philosophy.

    I suppose you could write an Applescript, compile it as an application,
    and run that as the email app. But clicking on a link may not transfer
    the email address in the link to the application.

    I think if you want the behavior you described, you're limited to an
    email program like Mail or Mailsmith or Sparrow.

    Michael Vilain, Jun 15, 2012

  3. Suzie-Q

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    Michael Vilain <> wrote:

    > You could use Opera or Thunderbird which have integrated email features,
    > but the UNIX-way is that a tool does ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY.
    > Opera and Thunderbird violate that philosophy.

    So do all web browsers, by definition.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Jun 15, 2012
  4. In article <>,

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=os x use gmail as default mail client

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, Jun 15, 2012
  5. In article <-september.org>,
    Barry Margolin <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Suzie-Q <> wrote:
    >
    > > When I was using Firefox and clicked on an email address link
    > > on a web page, it would automatically open a "compose" window
    > > in my gmail account (in Firefox).
    > >
    > > Now I'm using Google Chrome and, when I click on an email
    > > address link, it opens up "Mail," the app that comes on Apple
    > > computers. (I have a MacBook, btw.)
    > >
    > > I've attempted to figure out how to make my gmail account (in
    > > Google Chrome) my default email so that it works like it did
    > > when using Firefox, but I can't seem to figure it out. It must
    > > be something simple.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help?

    > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=os x use gmail as default mail client

    Barry, this won't help (even a little). She wants to use a non-email
    application (e.g. a web browser) for her mail client, have it login into
    gmail, and go.

    According to one of the hits:

    <http://mactips.dwhoard.com/mactips/other-applications/default-mail-appli
    cation>

    Setting Chrome as the email app should be all she needs to do if she
    adds a Chrome extension.

    Michael Vilain, Jun 15, 2012
  6. In article <>,
    Michael Vilain <> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Barry Margolin <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Suzie-Q <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > When I was using Firefox and clicked on an email address link
    > > > on a web page, it would automatically open a "compose" window
    > > > in my gmail account (in Firefox).
    > > >
    > > > Now I'm using Google Chrome and, when I click on an email
    > > > address link, it opens up "Mail," the app that comes on Apple
    > > > computers. (I have a MacBook, btw.)
    > > >
    > > > I've attempted to figure out how to make my gmail account (in
    > > > Google Chrome) my default email so that it works like it did
    > > > when using Firefox, but I can't seem to figure it out. It must
    > > > be something simple.
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone help?

    > > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=os x use gmail as default mail client

    > Barry, this won't help (even a little). She wants to use a non-email
    > application (e.g. a web browser) for her mail client, have it login into
    > gmail, and go.

    I know what she's trying to do. The web pages listed in the Google
    search show how to do it.

    > According to one of the hits:
    >
    > <http://mactips.dwhoard.com/mactips/other-applications/default-mail-appli
    > cation>
    >
    > Setting Chrome as the email app should be all she needs to do if she
    > adds a Chrome extension.

    Isn't that just what she asked for?

    And several other hits explain how to do it using the Google Notifier
    application.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA