    recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
    before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up? Anyone
    know the type battery in it?

    RnR, Jan 2, 2012

  2. RnR

    Steve W. Guest

    RnR wrote:
    > I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
    > recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
    > before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up? Anyone
    > know the type battery in it?

    2032 lithium cell.

    very likely the battery, could also be a reason for other problems as well.

    --
    Steve W.

    Steve W., Jan 2, 2012

  3. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:BodMq.79966$,
    Steve W. wrote:
    > RnR wrote:
    >> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
    >> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
    >> before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up?
    >> Anyone know the type battery in it?

    > 2032 lithium cell.
    >
    > very likely the battery, could also be a reason for other problems as
    > well.

    I know this might sound weird, but quartz clocks run faster and faster
    as the battery voltage drops. Until at one point it just stops
    altogether.

    Even though your sister's clock battery is probably dying. It is also
    true computer clocks are really cheapo clocks. And some of them are not
    very accurate at all. And being off a minute or two a day isn't really
    that unusual. And if the machine is often online, there are many utility
    software that will sync up your computer clock. One of my favorites is
    Dimension 4. It is old, but it does a lot in a tiny package. It is free
    too.

    Thinking Man Software - Dimension 4 v5.0
    http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Jan 2, 2012
  4. RnR

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Jan 2, 1:16 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time.  I
    > recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
    > before and it was wrong again.   Is this the battery acting up? Anyone
    > know the type battery in it?

    For a Dimension 2400, a 3v CR2032 battery, available for under $3 at
    Wal*Mart and other fine stores... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 4, 2012
  5. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 21:24:04 -0800 (PST), Ben Myers
    <> wrote:

    >On Jan 2, 1:16 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    >> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time.  I
    >> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
    >> before and it was wrong again.   Is this the battery acting up? Anyone
    >> know the type battery in it?

    >For a Dimension 2400, a 3v CR2032 battery, available for under $3 at
    >Wal*Mart and other fine stores... Ben Myers

    Thanks Ben. I think I have some spare new ones I bought last year.
    Next time I'm over her house I'll have to crack open her pc and swap
    it out <grin>.

    RnR, Jan 4, 2012
  6. RnR

    Ron Hardin Guest

    RnR wrote:

    > I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
    > recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
    > before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up? Anyone
    > know the type battery in it?

    Try turning _off_ the automatic time setting from whatever the websites are.

    My Inspiron 1200 loses time at a huge rate if I let it check the time. Apparently
    it corrects the rate of the clock from the new setting and gets it badly wrong.

    On its own it does much better, only about a second a week off.

    Ron Hardin, Jan 5, 2012
  7. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Ron Hardin wrote:
    > RnR wrote:
    >>
    >> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
    >> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
    >> before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up?
    >> Anyone know the type battery in it?

    > Try turning _off_ the automatic time setting from whatever the
    > websites are.
    >
    > My Inspiron 1200 loses time at a huge rate if I let it check the
    > time. Apparently it corrects the rate of the clock from the new
    > setting and gets it badly wrong.
    >
    > On its own it does much better, only about a second a week off.

    How far off is it when you let Windows update the time? By increments of
    an hour or more? If so, your time zone setting is wrong. Although your
    header time stamp says you are using eastern time zone. And if that is
    correct, well then it has to be something else.

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Jan 5, 2012
  8. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:je43bh$60i$,
    BillW50 typed on :
    > In news:,
    > Ron Hardin wrote:
    >> RnR wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
    >>> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
    >>> before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up?
    >>> Anyone know the type battery in it?

    >> Try turning _off_ the automatic time setting from whatever the
    >> websites are.
    >>
    >> My Inspiron 1200 loses time at a huge rate if I let it check the
    >> time. Apparently it corrects the rate of the clock from the new
    >> setting and gets it badly wrong.
    >>
    >> On its own it does much better, only about a second a week off.

    > How far off is it when you let Windows update the time? By increments
    > of an hour or more? If so, your time zone setting is wrong. Although
    > your header time stamp says you are using eastern time zone. And if
    > that is correct, well then it has to be something else.

    Here is an example about ccomputer time, this netbook I haven't turned
    on in 6 months. Just turned it on and I use Dimension 4 (free) to keep
    track of the time and history. And it was off by over 400 seconds (off
    about a minute a month) when Dimension 4 corrected the time for me.

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

    BillW50, Jan 5, 2012
  9. On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:56:31 -0000, BillW50 <> wrote:

    > In news:BodMq.79966$,
    > Steve W. wrote:
    >> RnR wrote:
    >>> I noticed on my sister in law's pc that it doesn't keep the time. I
    >>> recall checking it 2 or 3 times after resetting the time minutes
    >>> before and it was wrong again. Is this the battery acting up?
    >>> Anyone know the type battery in it?

    >> 2032 lithium cell.
    >>
    >> very likely the battery, could also be a reason for other problems as
    >> well.

    > I know this might sound weird, but quartz clocks run faster and faster
    > as the battery voltage drops. Until at one point it just stops
    > altogether.
    >
    > Even though your sister's clock battery is probably dying. It is also
    > true computer clocks are really cheapo clocks. And some of them are not
    > very accurate at all. And being off a minute or two a day isn't really
    > that unusual. And if the machine is often online, there are many utility
    > software that will sync up your computer clock. One of my favorites is
    > Dimension 4. It is old, but it does a lot in a tiny package. It is free
    > too.
    >
    > Thinking Man Software - Dimension 4 v5.0
    > http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

    Neutron is now a huge 7k.
    http://keir.net/neutron.html
    download