Dell 2950 with SAS - switching to SATA possible?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by joseph85750@yahoo.com, May 7, 2011.

  1. Guest

    I have a Dell 2950 with SAS disks installed from Dell. I want to
    replace the SAS disks with Seagate 1.5TB SATA disks. I've read
    conflicting info regarding the need for a special "interposer" board
    which sits between the SATA disks and the SAS backplane:

    http://www.lelong.com.my/dell-power...ard-hot-plug-sata-33550488-2009-06-Sale-P.htm

    Most posts say it isn't necessary:

    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/p/19331920/19695227.aspx

    http://www.baasaa.info/20110409/del...ler-can-i-swap-my-sas-drives-for-sata-drives/

    But other posts say it is (or might be?) required:

    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/t/18463615.aspx#18586627

    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/t/18742269.aspx

    Does anyone know what the deal is with this interpose board? Does it
    perhaps add some extra performance that I wouldn't get by plugging the
    SATA directly into the backplane?

    I plugged the 6 SATA disks directly into the system, built a RAID5 in
    the PERC utility, and had no issues. But I would rather not have
    everything fail in the near future due to some necessary piece of
    hardware.

    Any help would be great.

    Thanks!